Suggestion/proposal: Sydney Trains T1 North Shore Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ng1, Jan 12, 2022.

1. ng1

ng1 New Member

There are currently no Australian routes or trains, and I think that TSW2 would be even more enjoyable if I could relate to the lines and rolling stock.

Route/Line
    • Sydney Trains T1 North Shore Line [Suburban] - Approx. 35km
    Rolling Stock
    • A-Set "Waratah Series 1" EMU (Downer Rail, 2011-2014) - Permanently coupled 8 car formation
    • T-Set "Tangara" EMU (A Goninan & Co - now UGL Rail, 1988-1995) - Permanently coupled 4 car formation, operates are 8 car coupled formation
    Justification
    • Unique train design within Australia (double-deck trains), landmarks such as Sydney Harbour, and the also iconic Central Station.
    • A mix of city and suburban runnings
    • Gives players another game mode (guard mode as described below) without significant game changes
    • High-frequency, suburban runnings
    • The A-Sets and T-Sets, while different in design, are similar, meaning less work is required (I would assume)
    • Possible expansions are options for down the track
    New Functionality and Gameplay Changes
    • When the player is driving, an automated NPC guard operates the doors from the rear cab (A-Set) or a centre cab (T-Set) and presses the bell
    • Guard game mode - operating doors from the rear cab (A-Set) or a centre cab (T-Set), pressing bell to notify the driver when clear to depart
    • Guard indicator lights on platforms (blue light hanging from the roof, illuminated if the signal after the platform permits the driver to proceed)
    Stations Notes
    • Central: Only requires platforms 16 and 18 to be used
    • Town Hall: Only required platforms 2 (Down shore) and 3 (Up shore)
    • Wynyard: Only required platforms 3 (Down shore) and 4 (Up shore)
    Simplifying Network
    • No trains need to run south of Central Station, around the rest of the City Circle, or the T9 Northern Line, and no need to give players access to these areas
    Possible Expansions
    • City Circle (Suburban, Electric)
    • Central Coast and Newcastle Line (Outer Suburban, Electric)
    Yards and Depots
    • Hornsby Maintenance Centre - Train stabling and maintenance
    • North Sydney (Lavender Bay) Car Sidings/Yard - Train stabling
    Track Formation
    • Lots of the T1 Line is fairly simple double track
    Network Maps
    More Info
    • Access to sign and signal information, and operating manuals via RailSafe (official site for these) https://railsafe.org.au/
    • Access to driver cab videos online (via YouTube for example - I won't name any channels) to view track layouts, signals
    • Lots of information (spec) and images available on the trains
    Wikipedia Info and Images

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chipmunk

Chipmunk New Member

definitely agree with you and it will be fun to work in both real life and in game :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

I reckon the best bet is at least Berowra to Hornsby via Strathfield, including the city circle. That way we have access to the local services on the Main Suburban, as well as T9.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ng1

ng1 New Member

This could be a better bet as it would not require trains running over the Harbour Bridge. I agree that the whole City Circle would be good, and the Main Suburban.

5. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Personally I think not running the trains over the Sydney Harbour Bridge would be a massive misstep and receive backlash as it is a significant part of the route and icon of Sydney. It's the the line that the bridge was built to carry so it would feel really strange totally avoiding it.

Including the City Circle makes little sense for a route based on T1 because T1 doesn't run around the City Circle. Nor does the T9. So you'd have the major T1 line on the route and then have to do entirely separate services to go around the City Circle on T2, T3, or T8 for a handful of stops. It'd be better to make T2, T3, or T8 as a route if you wish to drive around the circle.
    Screenshot 2022-01-13 065403.png

There's many suggestion threads for the T1 line. It is by far the most popular suggestion when it comes to an Australian route.
    Added to the list of Australian proposal threads found here:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/australian-proposal-suggestion-master-list.41526/

6. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Berowra to Hornsby loop via Strathfield (the _old_ T1 North Shore/Northern) would have run across the Harbour Bridge, but as jamesbaby286 showed on the current route map they split the Northern Line (now T9) from the North Shore (stayed T1) back in 2019. Could still manage it as a combined T1/T9 route though (without the Western Line spur from Strathfield)

7. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

What I meant was both the Shore and North lines, via both Gordon and Epping