Clinchfield Help Please

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by david-bright184169, Jan 13, 2022.

1. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

I could do with some help with operating an F7 please,
    Running CRR Extra 3010 South I am having trouble getting up the first gradient
    using 4 F7's (2 A's plus 2 B's) plus 2 SD40's at the rear.
    The two at the rear were not doing any pushing and I could not find a way to control them from the lead loco
    I resorted to walking back to the lead SD40 and setting them up as independent locos,
    set the throttle in notch 4 and walked back the the lead F7 then I was able to get moving, but slowly.
    I then used the camera to get to the back door of the lead SD40 cab and opened up the throttle
    and flew up the hill.
    My question is am I missing something in the F7 to let me control the rear pushers?
    I have been trying this run for 2 days now, please help.

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Nope, you've run into a MAJOR defect in what is otherwise a great route. You worked out exactly the way to do it - except it's easer to reach the throttle through the window. There should have been a "Banking Comms" button on the F7's radio, but it was left out.

(In RL, there was a driver in the lead helper engine, so just imagine you're playing as him)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Have you twisted this? If I recollect , this is how you activate other units. Starting it off, have the independent brake on, throttle up, release slowly. Getting them moving in snow is slow .

237A090A-A742-4606-AC5D-1A6DDC202263.jpeg

4. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

That's the cab heater. I assume you meant the knob below it that's not shown in your pic, the unit selector.

It's a documented fact that the unit selector on CRR is not actually an operative switch, it is purely decorative.

• Like Like x 3
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Oh bugger on both counts. My helpfulness has proper crashed and burned there. I didn't realise that selector was naff though so i've learnt something :D:D:D

6. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

And even if it would be functional, it only has an effect on the dynamic brake. The switch is there to compensate for voltage drop in the MU cables for the dynamic brake signal.

• Like Like x 2
  7. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Thanks, the first time I tried it got moving after a lot of wheel spin,
    crawling up the hill at 1.9mph then the amps dropped to zero for a second and came to a standstill.
    I don't mind runs being difficult but I do object to them being almost impossible

8. solicitr

It's a heavy train, that's why it needs 6000 horsepower in back!

9. solicitr

Precisely. And since Simugraph doesn't model that voltage drop, the gain knob is pointless (except for immersion's sake).

• Like Like x 2