Scenarios

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by marcsharp2, Jan 12, 2022.

1. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

OK so this is something I've pondering. I was talking to a mate a few weeks ago about scenarios on TSW2, TSW2020 and TSW and how often we play them, He never does. He does the Tutorial and then goes straight onto the Timetable mode, Me I play them once just to complete them and then very very rarely do I play them again unless it's one I really enjoy. When TSW was first released I did them all and was glad that was carried over to TSW2020, Along with the route tasks. When TSW2 was released and found out I'd lost all my progress my enthusiasm for them waned, Some routes like ECW and TVR and NTP I did again, but others like WSR I've not touched, same with the German and American routes I own. Now that I've gone from a PS4 to a PS5 and lost all my progress again I've just got no interest in completing them for a third time, Even the ones I enjoyed I've not gone back to, I just go straight to the Timetable mode. So that's got me thinking, Does anyone else ignore the scenarios and jump to Timetable mode? Are they a must do for you? How many play them for fun? IMG_20220112_135119.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

On any route, I do the tutorials and all scenario's once, so I can tick them off. Then I move on to timetable and never go back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

I personally go through journey mode ticking off the tutorials, scenarios and a few random timetables.

Then pick of the rest should I complete a journey in full.

4. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The problem with many scenarios is that they offer nothing out of the ordinary. They are trips from A to B just like any other service, but with the handicap that they do not have the layers activated, so they are more boring.

I understand that a scenario should be something exceptional, that puts you in situations out of the ordinary. And there are some that are very good, but unfortunately they are few. DTG shows little originality here, or simply doesn't make a big deal out of it.

There are things they don't take advantage of. For example, they take the trouble to model the TGV, BR Class 395 or ICE coupling systems, but we never use them. Or they model depots and sidings that we never get to use in service mode. What better time to enjoy all that work than with the scenarios? With a little imagination there could be some very funny situations.

I hope that with the possibility of sharing scenarios that we will soon have and if they implement the new 2.0 planner well, all this will change. There are incredibly talented members of the community who can do amazing things if given the right tools.

• Like Like x 1
  5. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

On release of a new route or loco dlc I tend to do the training and one or two of the scenarios if not all of them , if not most of them as and when.

Hentis

6. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I've tended only to do scenarios if they are interesting, and rarely before learning the route via timetable mode. I do occasionally go back and do scenarios I enjoyed but it's hit and miss. As mentioned, the problem is largely that many scenarios are not that interesting and don't offer anything particularly different to timetable mode.

7. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Personally I have had to do them twice after TWS2020 and then TSW2. I do them because they are there, same as collecting things.

One of the reasons I will wait a long time to go to a PS5 (Whatever the good sides) is having to do them all over again :(:mad:!

I do go back and play them again and again. Sometimes putting wagons in the wrong spot or just because I enjoy them and collect all the locos up and put them on one siding. Plus you can play for a short period of time. Just me, call me strange and Autistic in I want to complete everything 100%

• Like Like x 1
  8. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Some are good, some are pointless, as you say some scenarios are simply a timetable run with maybe a yellow light! Others are quite good! Take GWE, I love the HST rescue, I've played it a few times now & I like the aggregate unloading as you get to use a part of the network not usually available.

• Like Like x 2
  9. marcsharp2

That's awesome, I hadn't viewed it that way before.

10. marcsharp2

Red Bank Rotation on NTP is possibly my favourite scenario, It's short and sweet and very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

I only complete them to unlock the achievement. I play them once because I have to, I have never been so impressed with a scenario that I replay it for the sheer joy.

As many have said perfectly above, they add little to no value to a DLC pack as they are more often than not nothing out of the ordinary compared to timetable services.

For these reasons, I don’t care about scenario planner and sharing, and hearing how many scenarios a new pack has is not a selling point IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I'll try it, I've done the rescue scenario on NTP (As you can see I quite like the rescues :D ) also a good rescue with the CL31 on TVL!

• Like Like x 1