Sand Patch Grade Y109 Pick Up And Set Out Timetable Issue

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by lupojohn, Jan 5, 2022.

1. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

You can't finish it. Towards the end, you're asked to couple up to 32 cars......except a pair of AC4400's are in the way.

I tried stopping my train and got in the cab to move the pair, but it wouldn't let me unless I gave up the scenario.

I thought about running around the track, coupling to the wrong end (on purpose), uncoupling at a point where I can run my locos around to get to the correct end....except I have 10 locos already in my consist.

I'm wondering if anyone has played this and what they've done about this issue.

2. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I just did this again the other day with no issues. I seem to remember another pair of locomotives sitting in the yard, but they weren't in my path. Is it possible you switched to the wrong track by mistake?

I can have a look again tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

3. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

I remember running into the same problem when I first did this service. This seems to happen if you are not fast enough. Otherwise you will leave the track in question before the locos are coming in.

4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected--I've never played this service. I had assumed it was one of the many shunting services in the Journeys, but Y108 and Y109 are skipped.

Anyway, I've played this through and see the problem. tygerways#2596 is right that it happens when you take too long. But it's not really your fault; the Y109 listing in the timetable gives a 45 minute estimate, while the description says one hour. But the game is actually holding you to that 45 minutes, or else.

There are three services involved: Y109, X786, and Q359. Y109 ends with you attaching 10 cars to the end of Q359; then at 7:15 X786 activates to attach the two helper locomotives (which you pass several times in the course of Y109's shunting) to the end of that; and at 19:30, Q359 takes off. If you haven't finished Y109 yet, X786 moves behind Q359 anyway but doesn't couple because the train isn't complete. Instead it just sits there in the way and prevents you from completing the service.

The obvious solution would be to bump X786 and Q359 back 15 minutes (or more) on the timetable. The next westbound train doesn't leave Cumberland until 20:30, so if that change wouldn't interfere with the paths of Y110 or Y111 or the eastbound Q394, it should be okay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. tonysmoove

tonysmoove New Member

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

One solution is to couple to the two AC4400s and just drive a four-loco MU for the rest of the service.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Here and elsewhere, in both TSW and TS, I find myself asking whether real-world switching/shunting work requires driving at the speed limit, which strikes me as dangerous. (Besides that, I enjoy these activities so much and there are so few of them that I never want to rush through them.

8. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

Actually in Real Life it really determines what your transcript says about your Load & what's the Prime Mover pulling it. American railroaders Transcript will tell everything about what you're pulling how much your pulling of said product, plus tells info about your 20 and where you're going, using milepost and gradient signs the crew knows what to expect when on the road which makes you Not running blind. All North American Railroaders spend 20 mins before heading out Devising a battle plan for the day using Transcripts and Knowledgement of the Railroad. 1 Horsepower per every Ton is the saying, it takes 12.8 Horses to make 1 Horsepower.

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I found that defeating the time-killer on these shunting jobs, and the way to get ahead of those AI locos, is not in driving fast, but in using the map and flying cameras to handle switches and uncoupling. It's the on-foot moves that really slow you down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Just completed this service using the help from this thead; made sure I really moved and got out of the way just as the helpers were moving into position. Not realistic but certainly the fastest I've had to act on SPG!

• Like Like x 1
  11. michael#3751

michael#3751 New Member

My first play through I tried this, coupled the 10 wagons to the existing 32 and all I got was the “wait a moment” message at the top left. Figured I’d pull back those 2 locos, put on another track and cuplé back to the 42, however, I was met with another service coming up in the track I was pulling back on

12. trpted

trpted Member

What I did when I did this mission:

#1 I was speeding expect:..

a) when connecting to other cars.

b) and before the last stopping point.

#2 Then before stopping at the last stop point I kept on moving the train back and forth until I got the AP that I needed to get gold.