PlayStation Switching Cameras On Long Freight Trains Crashes Game

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by pveezy, Jan 6, 2022.

1. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

PS5

When operating long (i.e 4500-6500ft) freight trains, switching from the exterior front view to rear of train view often crashes the game. Not every time but I’d say at least 75% of the time. It will go to the TSW load screen and then crash to the PS5 error reporting screen. I don’t bother changing camera anymore because it’s almost a guaranteed crash and the save game system is broken anyway so you throw an hour down the drain if it happens on a freight run.

I’ve noticed the issue on both Sand Patch Grade and Sherman Hill. Doesn’t seem to matter which locomotive is being used.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  2. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Yep, this is super annoying. In my experience it's almost 100% on SPG and about 50% on SMH. I'm also on PS5.

I've got an open ticket about it but no sign of a fix yet.

Not sure if it's CPU related or something else.

3. Caldor

Caldor New Member

Had it happen to me on the PS4 too.

4. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

I had this bug for a while. I can’t speak for Sherman Hill, but I did run the first 20 minutes of a manifest train on SPG last night and I had no problem switching cameras to the rear locomotives. Or using any of the external cameras.

It was only one test, but it was done after the update they released for SPG. Hopefully the issue has gone away. Maybe.

I’d like to train do the full run later this week. It’s tough to find two hours sometimes.

5. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I was testing it today... I switched a bunch of times in the Cumberland yard and it seemed to work fine... as soon as I accelerated out into the city and tried switching to the rear cam, I got the freeze to load screen/crash. So it doesn't seem fixed, at least not for me.

As far as beyond that, I honestly am too scared to even try once I get more into the run, because like you said these are 2 hour commitments and the save function is broken in the game so if it does freeze you throw and hour down the drain. Crashing after spending an hour climbing that hill is enough to throw a controller through the TV.

For reference this test was on a intermodal Q115. It seems to be the longer trains that are worst so the intermodals and auto racks is probably where you will see it most.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  6. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I think this issue of jumping between cameras is because the game needs to load the area but a sudden switch can be too much and it goes to “out memory” to be able to do it therefore crash

7. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

My testing never extended beyond the red light within the ciry so, if that’s the case it’s most likely true. When I was running SPG a couple of months ago, it was crashing as soon as you switched the camera, even in the yard.

I can’t remember the exact service I was running. It was the last manifest train in the evening. I was also running during a snowstorm.

Totally understand the fear of switching cameras. I had to finish the Powering America scenario when this bug first showed up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  8. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

So I ran the AC4400 pulling the 4400ft manifest train. No issues camera switching at any point. And there were no locomotive substitutes in my consist.

I’ll try again with a longer train later. I ran the last red light on the route and I need revenge.

I have a suspicion it might be the UP locos subbing in that’s causing the issue. But I’m just a guy. I only know so many things. Matt mentioned on the livestream that one of the Sherman Hill locos was built in a memory inefficient way.

I’m really hoping the DLC management for the PS5 clears up a lot of these issues.

And the speed limits are definitely messed up on this route. I wonder if that means the expansion service they’re bringing out is a passenger service?

9. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

I have one final update to this. I ran tried to run the AC4400 with the Autorack and Intermodal cars and both trains crashed as soon as I tried to switch to the rear camera. So it’s definitely not tied to any Union Pacific locomotive.

Perhaps it’s tied to the fact that there are six cars in each autorack car, which is overloading the memory. Perhaps the containers have the same problem. Because it’s multiple objects that contain their own physics. I don’t know at this point.

What I do know is it’s preventing capitalism from occurring on any more US freight routes until it’s fixed. They’re my favourite to drive, but I can’t spend money on somethings that it’s just not stable. Cane Creek, Sherman Hill, and unfortunately Horseshoe Curve are sitting in my wishlist until the problem is solved. And I was especially looking forward to Horseshoe Curve.