Really Am Getting Fed Up

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FallenAngel00me, Jan 13, 2022.

1. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I am getting so fed up of having to delete 2 or 3 routes to play a new one. It's been 4 months and you still haven't fixed it.

• Like Like x 7
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I presume this is aimed at Sony rather than DTG as they're the ones imposing the limits

• Like Like x 3
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Invest in a PC, no such limitations then!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Yes as DTG have no responsibility here. Sure they didn't bother to read the memo when Sony sent the them the changes to limits when it would have made a difference but thats life. Let's just ignore that

So spend several hundred quid on a new PC then several hundred quid on repurchasing all the TSW content you already own

Edited by DTG Natster - inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

Not at all. but the only recourse DTG would have had would be to stop releasing DLC. The choice sony has is to remove a block that makes no sense anyway, but of course you don't have a direct line to Sony's developers in the same way you do DTG's so I can see why people aren't going to the right place

6. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Actually Sony's 'limit' does make sense in console land (this issue also concerns xbox)

Every time a user purchases and downloads new DLC, that DLC loads in part into system memory (think of it like an index)

So the more content you own, the more system RAM is consumed.

Now when you consider that TSW is already a game that has memory management issues which certainly causes issues such as crashes or impacts game performance, Sony forcing DTG to do things differently than just keep producing DLC blindly until the game completely buckles is a good thing (Matt recently described the memory savings would be considerable when the new system comes in)

The bad thing about all this is this should have been done before the PS5 version hit the market, which might have been the case if DTG had actually read the memo

• Like Like x 5
  7. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

As a developer, DTG should of known about the limitations otherwise its just bad practice and disorganisation. Losing console players, especially those who have invested in the product, is only going to financially damage them

• Like Like x 3
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is only DTG that can come up with a fix for this, not Sony. Their limit is there for a reason. DTG are doing a fix but it is understandable that players are getting frustrated with how long it is taking. I now have a big backlog of content to buy (I’ll wait for sales) and have so many uninstalled routes and locos it’s becoming a bit of a pain. I had in the back of my mind that it might take around six months for the first fix to come and there was no way DTG were going to tell us that right off the bat even if they thought the same. It’s not six months yet so I’m not at the point where my frustration will boil over but I also understand that it is a big task to fix it. Hopefully it will make the game run better too with the memory savings.

Realistically, DTG should have done this fix a long time ago, before the limit was imposed, as they have been aware for a long time that the game struggles with memory and that every DLC you own takes up memory whether you are using it or not. There was a penny waiting to drop there. Sony have done us a favour by throwing that penny to the floor in front of DTG’s eyes.

• Like Like x 9
  9. jesseneedsapsn

jesseneedsapsn Member

Snowrunner has a similar solution to what Matt has talked about for their mods on consoles. You download all the mods you want, but you have to mount them to make them usable. That way you can’t mount beyond the limit of the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

Whilst the DLC problem is annoying, at least there is a work around. I would rather they fixed some of the game breaking problems first (LBN crashing so often being a prime example). Unfortunately, fixing costs money, and whilst a few of us haven't bought any DLC for a while, I suspect it's not a big enough number to really effect DTGs top line.

I don't really expect to see a fix for this for a while. There will probably be a new game in the summer, and they'll be planning the mounting and dismounting of DLC from the ground up for that.

To be honest, I've stopped caring a bit. I'm playing the content I already have. I delete the DLCs I'm not using. I'm not buying any more (which is kinda refreshing). If something doesn't work, I report it, with no real expectation of it being fixed, so no anger or upset when it doesn't get fixed. I've put it all down to rash purchases, and I'm treating it as a learning exercise.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ARuscoe

I understand how memory works and also that the limit CAN help, and also that DTG should have done the optimisation back when TSW2 was just a twinkle in DTG's eye
    BUT the issue is caused by Sony, plain and simple.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ray.flanagan67

ray.flanagan67 Member

I refuse to delete routes therefore lost Dresden Riesa and have not played Brighton Main line. I will not buy anything else until this is fixed.
    Didn't hear Matt saying anything about timescales for the DLC fix. Does anyone know when this is expected? Cheers

13. benuildo

benuildo Member

I haven't touched TSW2 since October, but apparently the fix is almost done. So we have to wait a little longer and in the end we will all benefit from the changes. I am sure about that.

14. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Unfortunately at this time I can't provide you with anything more than my understanding. I really do empathize with why you are feeling this way.

We don't have a timescale at the moment for when we expect it will be updated. But the team are well aware of how much this impacts your enjoyment of the game and we are doing everything we can to resolve it.

The patience everyone is showing is very much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  15. nyem24

nyem24 New Member

Y'all we do have a fix. Delete routes to make room for new ones. Redownload and shuffle as needed. It's not ideal, but lets be honest...when the "fix" gets rolled out eventually how bad is THAT going to mess things up? Might end up making the whole thing unplayable at this rate.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Sony’s fault, nothing to do with DTG. No idea why Sony made such a dumb decision considering the Xbox and even PS4 manage to have no DLC limit.

That said it is easy enough to remove and re-download DLC on PS5. You only hit the limit if you have nearly all the DLC installed… I couldn’t even play every DLC in a week if I wanted to. I just keep the ones I am using most installed and shuffle as required without much issue.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

This is probably due to the fact that the XBox runs a Windows kernel and the PS5 runs a Unix-like kernel. And they are quite different. The mere fact that DLC is mounted on the PS already explains a completely different integration into the storage system. There must be a reason why Sony set this limit and DTG wasn't prepared for that. But it certainly has to do with the basic performance, where the PS system (Kernel) is currently reaching its limits. Other publishers of games that offer a similar number of DLS are likely to have this problem as well. Sony should then communicate and document this better so that developers can prepare for it in good time. Simply knitting the whole thing around is definitely not child's play. After all, a solution is needed that not only handles x DLC, but also y. And that will affect the entire structure of TSW. In the end, however, the overall performance of TSW should benefit significantly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think you’d be more likely in thousands. Sony need to pull their finger out, DTG have.

• Like Like x 1
  19. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

The problem is way bigger than just the DLC limit if you think about it. I was removing some big games to free up space for new games and now TSW2 has become the biggest game in my library with 91GB. I'm not good at math but at some time TSW will have outgrown your disk space. TSW2 has now grown into a disksize where it risks to be removed just for being too big if 2022 delivers a lot of good games with big file sizes.

20. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

It‘s the trade-off we had to accept for the insanely fast SSD. The 400-something GB storage space left after the OS is laughably small in this day and age. At some point, there’ll probably be no other option than installing a second internal SSD if you want to have more than a handful of games installed.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ARuscoe

As has been said many times, you don't need to have all the DLC, only the ones you want. If you want all the DLC then that's your choice rather than "DTG's fault" in any way. Maybe this is why there haven't been console versions of sims before, they don't have the storage capacity to keep up with all the maps, assets etc?

• Like Like x 1
  22. jon_mann

jon_mann Member

The SSD is 667 gig and that is after OS. It is still rather small but a lot of newer games are taking advantage of the speed of the SSD (no longer need to replicate assets) alongside the new Kraken compression software (for example Control on PS4 is around 50gb, the PS5 version is around 25gb even though it includes better graphics including ray tracing).

Other developers tend to insert the dlc into the main game file, increasing the main game size, and then use the thing you buy as a key to unlock it. This negates the 64gb limit. Think this was a proposed idea to sort this out for TSW2 but it would mean everytime they released a new DLC the download would get bigger and bigger and if you decided to uninstall the game for any reason, it would take you longer to download and install it each time.

23. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Have you heard of money ?

• Like Like x 2
  24. chieflongshin

Please don’t replicate all that from the previous “I’m young and hard done by thread”. Just link us there and save us.

We’re all aware of money I’d imagine.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Coastway trainspotter

But not everyone , even adults cannot afford a full pc setup

26. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I may or may not have messed the numbers up a bit - I didn’t check beforehand :)
    Point is, as you say, it’s ridiculously small for today’s standard sizes.

• Like Like x 1
  27. chieflongshin

At no point has that been suggested. We should Just enjoy what’s available to respective circumstances. I’d love a pc with a 3090 in but having not long spent enough money to buy a car on one 18 months ago I’ll enjoy what I have until money allows otherwise, same as when I enjoyed on Xbox until I could get pc

• Like Like x 1
  28. antwerpcentral

Oh here we go again. Seems like someone needs to be blamed. Did I say it's "DTG's fault"? No I did not. I just wrote down my observation and here you come pointing fingers? Maybe we should use our brains and come with solutions instead of pointing fingers at the players on the file size of a game. If I look at the game I own I have a lot of duplicate trains; trains that come with a route but are already present on another route . These duplicate trains all amount to the file size of the game. So if you want to point fingers over the file size of the game don't point them at me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Coastway trainspotter

Apart from the reply ‘get a pc’ , with no consideration towards money whatsoever

• Like Like x 1
  30. ARuscoe

Is "not having all the DLC" (at least installed) not a solution to the space issue?
    Of course, having more disc space, better compression, more optimised game files etc would also help

Not sure how much the duplicated locos are taking up but I agree with you I don't see the point in having the same thing twice (in effect) and that one's definitely "on DTG" for deciding to have the locos in the route files rather than in the core or a separate route just for those assets

• Like Like x 1
  31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's true that a fast PC with plenty of RAM and high-end CPU/GPU will run TSW without major problems, but that's not the right answer.
    If it's available on consoles, it should be playable on consoles and it really isn't for many console players, even those with the latest hardware.
    I'm on PC and if I had to deal with the problems PS4/5 and Xbox players have, like the ridiculous 64GB restriction and the Dresden and other crashes, I'd likely have gone back to TS until these issues were fixed.
    So my sympathies are with the OP and his console colleagues.

• Like Like x 3
  32. chieflongshin

Agreed but not by myself. It sounds like a good recruitment consultant would be beneficial

33. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Not to mention that if you’ve hit the DLC limit on PlayStation that means you’ve spent hundreds of dollars on DLC and the game. If you switch platforms, guess what, you need to buy it all over again.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If Steam were to suddenly impose a 64 GB limit, I would immediately lose half of my dlc. Switching them in and out by ticking/unticking each one in my Steam library would be onerous and time consuming, not to mention all the things that could go wrong during that process. To quote the OP, I would get " fed up " in no time.

35. chieflongshin

Unfortunately been there. Not again. I don't even want to acknowledge the presale amount that I have bought and I know some will have all. :|:|:|:|

Screenshot 2022-01-16 165352.png

36. antwerpcentral

I don't see why the DLC limit with PS5 would even justify buying a PC. It's a €30 game. Something is messed up if you buy a PC just for playing 1 video game. I play Transport Fever 2 on my computer and if they ever would release a console version I would switch immediately to the console version

37. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread, the Sony 64gb DLC limit has nothing to do with the Dresden-Chemnitz crashes, why would it? This is due to problems with layers for AI services using stock from Riesa-Dresden. My best advice is to log it with support and wait for a resolution (hopefully soon).