How Do I Uninstall An Armstrong Powerhouse Product?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Since I like participating in Dovetail's official screenshot contest, and I'm running out of screenshots to use from when I didn't use any AP enhancements, so I need to start taking screenshots without any AP enhancements, how do I uninstall things like the Track Enhancement Pack and the Weather Enhancement pack?

2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

As there isn’t an uninstaller, it would have to be done manually, somehow, but until someone with the necessary knowledge can reply, I wondered if there are some DTG routes to which they don’t apply? I guess it would have to be brand new ones that the AP items haven’t yet been patched for. So you could get, say, the new CML, but not upgrade the AP products. Not the best solution, but a possible one.

Another alternative - if you have a spare (old) computer - is to install a clean TS on that and use it just for screenshots. At least that way you wouldn’t have to give up the benefits of the AP products.

3. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Alright, this seems like a good idea.

4. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

If you are looking for the track and weather packs, they install in the route directory. I think you basically remove the "time of day" directory to disable AP weather because TS will resort to using the version in the .ap file.
    I'm not sure what is installed for the track enhancemen but the same principle should apply.

5. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

AP products are like herpes, once you've got them you've got them for life! It's one of their drawbacks, there is no uninstaller.

Your options are:
    • If you understand TS file structure selectively delete and replace appropriate files. Sorry, I don't know enough to help you with that.

• Delete the DLC in the steam client using the Manage my DLC pane (RHS) and then re-install it. This might work, but for the routes I've tried previously it hasn't.

• Delete your Railworks folder (obliterating the current game and DLC installation) and then re-install from scratch. Any custom stuff you've created (route mods, scenarios etc) will vanish unless you've backed them up.

• Get your screen shots from routes that aren't affected by AP enhancement packs; i.e. most continental and US routes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You did not mention the OBVIOUS answer
    Contact AP and ask then the best way of doing it.

7. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Another option is to "Verify Integrity of your games files" in the Steam client.
    This seems to remove the AP track enhancement from installed routes.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes, if you don't mind resetting every route back to default removing all the reskins and repaints

Seems a bit drastic to me

9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The nerd way!
    Create a dummy Railworks folder that just contains an Assets and Content folder (both empty) and the Railworks.exe and Railworks64.exe, files Install the two AP products into those dummy folders. On investigation, that will then tell you if you can uninstall the AP apps and what files you need to delete from your working TS install.
    Or as Peter749006 says - contact Richard Armstrong.
    You can remove AP weather from any scenario using TS Tools.

10. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell you don't need any of those pH, just an empty folder to install them into, I often do this method to find what is actually installed and have never needed anything other than a dummy external folder which I call fake railworks

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And Nobody actually asks AP on how to remove the product(s)

12. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I imagine they are scarcely able to comprehend why anyone in their right mind would even consider uninstalling an AP product :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Have you?

14. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

You can crudely remove the AP sky and track EPs by dragging out all the files in the route's asset folder into a temporary folder elsewhere, except for and where a .ap file is present.

On the subject, AP should really consider using uninstallers though, especially when you want to uninstall old sound packs when a new enhancement pack comes along to replace them. It would really help to keep the railworks folder tidy.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Peter Hayes

Reef
    Some installers (not sure about AP) require the presence of the Railwork.exe and/or Railworks64.exe to install so to be sure I include those in my "fake/dummy/empty" Railworks folder (from 2014 experiences). Just an extra precaution - probably not needed.:)

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why should I?
    I don't have a problem or wish to remove any of my AP products
    I was suggesting something for the OP to do

17. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

You could do it by verifying the game files on steam. It replaces all the files with the originally, deactivating any patches or enhancements.

18. Peter Hayes

JTP
    Not necessarily, verifying the game files will only modify add-on files if they alter the base TS files. This is especially so since the .ap file structure was introduced (2015?). I don't think any of the AP enhancements do that. It may apply to a few AP add-ons pre the .ap fie structure. Verifying the game files does NOT deactivate or remove any patches or enhancements that do NOT change the base TS files.