Decline Overall Performance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Franck69, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Hi everyone, I haven't used TWS2 in a long time, but yesterday I decided to try some scenarios and I noticed that it has an impressive drop in fps compared to before. I have a very respectable configuration. Rayzen 5800x 32GB RAM 2070 SUPER (with latest updated driver), yet I can't even hit 50fps.
    Today I decided to buy the latest German route and reluctantly notice it's the same thing, fps hovering around 35, but very fluctuating and suddenly dropping to 20 in slightly more detailed spots, constant stuttering. This had never happened to me before, occasionally there was a bit of a stutter, but all in all I was happy with the overall performance, but now it feels like you have a prehistoric PC.
    Oh then every time I finish a scenario, TWS2 freezes, fails to go to the main menu. Apparently everything else in Windows works, but I can't control anything. The only way to unlock the situation is to log out of the Windows account or restart the system.
    Advice on resolving this situation is welcome

2. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

Might sound a silly question but are you running a standard ini file? Are you on Steam or Epic?

3. Franck69

Franck69 Member

I'm on steam

4. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

have ini file?

5. Franck69

Franck69 Member

forgive me, what do you mean "you have an ini file"

6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Engine ini?

7. Franck69

Franck69 Member

i understood that we are talking about ini file, but i don't understand what you mean? maybe you mean a modified ini file ??
    no, not that I remember, on the contrary, some time ago I made a change, but then I restored the original file, I didn't notice any differences.

8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

My specs are way lower and i have not those problems. Weird behavior the crashes you have.

Did you test how change the settings have impact?

9. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

What resolution and scale settings? This is the crucial thing to mention when comparing FPS. in 4K with 100% scale I most of the time reach 50-60FPS, with occasional dips to 40s. And this is already with tweaked Engine.ini, with increased draw distances and such. So vanilla Engine.ini would give me even more FPS. This is on 1080Ti, which should be roughly on par with 2070S. So If you can barely reach 50FPS on lower that 4K res., then something is wrong in your system.

10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There are any number of settings in Windows and in one's GPU control panel that can wreck FPS. Often these are factory defaults and have to be changed.

11. Franck69

Franck69 Member

usually I leave things as they are by default, sometimes I try some changes if they don't satisfy me I go back to the origin.
    In my case, until a month ago, everything was fine, then I took a break until yesterday, and I realized that the performances have dropped drastically and, I repeat, without touching anything.

12. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

How are your cpu temps? I made an overhaul after 10years and replaced the thermal paste. The cpu came down from 99 degree to 50 - 60 degree.

13. cattivo

cattivo Member

I'm getting very poor performance to be honest. Also on Steam, no modified .ini files and no mods installed. i7 10700k, RTX 3080, 32GB, SSD. Playing on just a standard monitor, not even 4k. And this setup runs MSFS 2020 in VR pretty well!

I discovered that some of the issues were caused by swapping between keyboard presses (which I do for external cameras) and an Xbox controller (for everything else), so I accept those pauses. But even if I'm not changing camera views, simply driving with the controller, the game is very stuttery, on every route that I have, German, UK, USA. Noticeable random stutters.

CPU and GPU temps are low, in the 50's as a high on the CPU, probably averaging much lower, and GPU between the 60's and low 70's maximum.

Could be Windows or GPU settings, but again, I get generally good performance in games such as MSFS and Elite Dangerous, both in VR that are more demanding (I suspect) than TSW2.

14. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

The problem with this game is how CPU threads are handled and how rendering stuff is done. I needed 2 days to get the ini-settings right to get rid of almost all stuttering on DCZ but in my opinion this shouldnt be the solution. I really hope there will be performance patches since TSW seems to get less and less stable on keeping the FPS up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I was getting 20 - 60 fps at 2K 150% with my 2070 - with my 3080 I'm getting 60 - 150fps.

TSW2 is a bit finnicky in the FPS front with quite variance from place to place on a route and from route to route.

I can't say I've noticed the stutters and pauses are worse, if anything my gut feel is that they've improved somewhat recently (Sherman Hill being a notable exception).

Paul

16. Franck69

Franck69 Member

Even though I had restored the engini.ini file, there was probably something left without realizing it. I removed the file and solved it.