Nvidia Announced Dlsdr

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mariussoare_84, Jan 12, 2022.

1. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 12
  2. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Do love the jargon but the illustrations and explanation not very revealing.
    Sharper images always appreciated and any fps boost would be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mariussoare_84

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It would be more useful if they actually started churning out a decent supply of GPU's at a reasonable price. Still running my stuff on a GTX 1650 (not Super). My PC could probably take a 2060 but if you go to online retailers like Overclockers UK or Scan Computers, simply none to be had.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mariussoare_84

nVidia was always criticized for not doing enough to fight the new wild west that is crypto mining and the massive loss of cards to this activity.
    I believe they announced that they increased the production line for the 2060 which is a very popular model but even this is not enough.
    There are still no signs of things improving and this is the most concerning and scary part for the industry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Particularly if my PC happened to pack up. I have seen new build prices that only have a GTX 1660 coming in at crazy levels, over £1000.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mariussoare_84

I usually keep my electronics for a long time, both to justify their carbon footprint and because in most case there is no significant gain from one generation to another.
    My computer was pretty old, the motherboard was 10 years old. The only ones newer were the CPU, only 6 years old and the GPU 3.5 years old. I upgraded everything in February last year and I don't expect to change anything for the next 3 years at least.

This new (surprise?) feature announced by nVidia is more a reaction to AMD's Radeon Super Resolution so as it happened with other features it needs time to mature which means right now it might not be as expected, but we'll soon see what it delivers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I am excited about this announcement. We have been waiting eagerly for a driver-level implementation of DLSS for a long time now. Even though this won't be as high quality or efficient as a trained, game-specific DLSS implementation, this is still a really cool advancement of the technology that will give a significant performance boost to anyone on at least an RTX 2060, and think that last bit is key. As you already mentioned, Nvidia has restarted the production of RTX 2060s (this time ostensibly with 12GB of VRAM) to help ease supply shortages at the low end. Combined with this new driver-level AI upscaling, hopefully it will be easier for more gamers to enjoy a more high quality experience even with slower card.

Of course, this is only supported by those running an RTX card. For everyone else, there is AMD's RSR, though inferior it will likely be it should be available on just about every GPU.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The problem of the crazy prices is just that semiconductor industry has been stopped for many months due to covid. Many factories closed and many transport companies closed as well. So two of the key areas for the business to continue working just disappeared. At the same time some countries adquired the existing semiconductor stock as part of their strategic reserves. So prices are high because there was no stock during many months. This had a huge impact on industry in general not only in the cards market. Nowadays even a coffee machine comes with a chip and everybody wants their chip to produce their things and earn juicy money. Market just balanced itself with rising prices and some speculation, which is the basic rule that the owners of the desired assets have been applying for centuries.

NVidia feature looks nice. Especially if it comes with an improved performance. It may be a nice improvement to TSW2 if it really works as advertised.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  10. mariussoare_84

I am using your settings geloxo for the ini file but I haven't reported back yet. I haven't played as much and I only tried them on Riesa-Dresden. I immediately felt the improvement in image quality, fps and micro freezes. There are areas such as Meissen where the fps is terrible and I run on an RTX 3070 from an NVMe drive.

I love how they also partnered with ReShade which is a mod I've always used in Euro truck for its fantastic results.

I have hopes that features like these two can bring the increase in fps to counter these hot zones of some of the routes we have in TSW 2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

it’s more than just COVID, or the supply chain jam. It’s the explosion of bitcoin miners, running farms of machines that use GPUs for processing power; they have been gobbling up everything that comes off the boat.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Also Taiwan has been suffering from a severe drought, which forced some foundry pauses as well.

13. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i don't think that all the old version of nvidia will be able to use this feature especially mine which is the nvidia geforce gtx760

14. Callum B.

That is correct. Only Nvidia RTX cards will be able to use this feature because it requires tensor cores not found on previous generations of GPUs (except the Titan V, which is based on the Volta architecture but also unsupported).

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Definitely interesting news. Does anyone with deeper knowledge know if the Reshade implementations mentioned in the article also make a difference in TSW2 without further changes within the game?

16. solicitr

Great. My old motherboard doesn’t support RTX cards

17. Callum B.

How so? That can only be true if you don't have enough physical space or you don't have any PCIe x16 slots.

Cheers

18. solicitr

Bingo

19. Callum B.

What the heck?? I know you're running a GTX 1050ti. Are you using a PCIe x8 version? What specific GPU/motherboard do you have? Now I am very intrigued.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Waiting for the 14th to see how it improves my 3070.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mariussoare_84

ReShade is a post processing algorithm so it should work with any game really - https://reshade.me/

In regards to the supply chain issues during covid, I remember reading about some draconic measures in Chinese docks. For every two weeks worked they spend three in quarantine!
    On top of that, electricity shortages as the country tries hard to reduce its carbon emissions.

22. solicitr

I was being much too condensed responding from my phone. I do have a PCIe-16 slot- but it's only a 3.0, not a 4.0. Therefore an RTX does me no good, because it's throughput-throttled.

(It isn't a 1050Ti, it's a base 1060/3GB; that limited VRAM is my biggest bottleneck).

23. Callum B.

Oh well don't worry about that. PCIe 3.0 x16 still has just enough bandwidth for even a RTX 3080. See here:

I personally use an RTX 3080 in a PCIe 3.0 16x slot and it works very nicely. Your limiting factor would most likely be, can your CPU keep up? :)
    Ah, my mistake.

Cheers

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Nvidia's LHR program doesn't seem to be slowing down the miners. The prices for RTX cards are still astronomical. The only way to get hold of a high-end card at a normal price is to buy it as part of a complete system, which is what I did.
    Nvidia just came out with a beefed up version of the 3080. It should be priced a little higher than the regular one, that is until the miners get a hold of it.

25. mariussoare_84

solicitr The uplift from PCIe 3 to PCIe 4 for a graphics card is about 3%. Don't worry at all about any limitations as there is none.

That's why I said earlier that I upgrade after at least 3 to 4 years when things actually evolved in real-life performance scenarios and not on paper just to take my money cause it sounds better.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. solicitr

Doubt it: i5-7400 3Ghz? Not likely. But the real limiting factor is the elderly H170 chipset.

Best I can hope to do, without a complete PC replacement (my PS isn't up to running an RTX either), is to find a secondhand 1080Ti or at least a 1060/6GB. But have you seen what those things are going for these days????

27. Callum B.

Ooh yeah, that will definitely limit you in most situations these days. Even a GTX 1070/RTX 2060 might be bottlenecked with that CPU at 1080p. If you're looking to upgrade platforms, Intel's new Alder Lake platform is very nice. The budget CPUs and boards are releasing imminently if that's of interest to you. If you'd rather get something more performant, the regular unlocked i5s, i7s, and i9s are already available.

A GTX 1080ti would be a complete waste unless you plan to play at 1440p, and a GTX 1060 6GB would be an expensive sidegrade. As mentioned before, if you want a better platform, at the very least CPUs aren't in constant shortage and inflated prices (for now).

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. mariussoare_84

Last year about this time I upgraded from an i5-3550 and a 1060/6 GB like yours. The MB was based on a Z class chip (can't remember the version) so it had pretty much all the lanes required for 2 GPUs and "gaming" grade components how they call them.

I sold the 1060 pretty much the next day I put it up for sale. I only asked 180 euros, I didn't want to be part of the scam and sell it for profit to be honest. I was super lucky with the 3070 as well, I only paid 50 euros over MSRP 4-5 months after launch and received it in two weeks.

Like Callum says, you can easily buy now the MB, CPU and RAM as these are plenty and at normal prices and get the GPU when you find one within the budget.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. mariussoare_84

solicitr If you're planning to continue with Intel, they fixed the DRM issues that prevented some games to run: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0088261/processors/intel-core-processors.html

On the fun/ironic side, we were discussing about PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 and they just announced v6.0 :) - https://www.gsmarena.com/pcie_60_is_here_with_double_the_bandwidth_at_128gbps-news-52654.php

It's funny how the speed doubles with each generation but for graphic cards this barely makes a difference. It is more notable on the data transfer side on SSDs though.

30. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Drivers are out now. Let´s try that! :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  31. mariussoare_84

Indeed, 511.23 is up for download.
    Let's see what she brings. :)

32. Sharon E

Installed and set up per the link at the top. Now let's see what we get.

ADD: To my 70+ y/o eyes it may be a tad clearer and brighter on my 4K monitor. Other than that I do not see much difference in fps.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  33. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Results for a native resolution of 3840x1600 (brand new WQHD+ monitor):

Native resolution + standard 200% scaling in game: 42 fps
    Nvidia DLDSR x2.25 resolution with 25% smoothness + 100% scaling in game: 56 fps

Effective DLDSR scaled resolution was: 5760x2400. So, this is equivalent to a 150% scaling.

This thing appears to work well but for such a high native resolution high scaling factors start to kill fps, as you could expect. I get better results just using game´s scaling on 150% or DLDSR x1.78:

Native resolution + standard 150% scaling in game: 59 fps
    Nvidia DLDSR x1.78 resolution with 25% smoothness + 100% scaling in game: 72 fps

In this case effective DLDSR scaled resolution was: 5120x2133. So, this is equivalent to a 133% scaling.

Comparing the real % scaling factor I get almost the same results (~60fps) with both a 150% scaling in game or a x2.25 resolution with DLDSR but the new Nvidia solution appears to be producing a sharper image. So I think the image processing may be a bit more efficient.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  34. Crosstie

What is the refresh rate of your 4k? Mine is 60 Hz, so my fps is strangled at 60. I will only be looking for better graphics from this new driver.

35. 5cip

5cip Active Member

My monitor makes 240 or 144 hz but i always play with vsync on and cap the fps to 60...due i benefit from anything when i play with these setting or does it makes only sense with vsync off and fps unlimited?

36. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

You can use it in any situation. It´s just a way to create a virtual higher resolution than the one supported by your monitor and produce better image quality therefore.

I found the first issue with it: after having it enabled, if you disable it and try to enable it afterwards the the scaling always defaults to a base resolution of 1920x1080, instead of to your native screen resolution (3840x1600 in my case). So all scalings will be a factor of 1920x1080 then.

No more testing with it. At least in my case it seems it´s not working properly or my resolution is not fully supported :D

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Considering this is something about upscaling and for newer cards, I suppose I don't have much reason to get excited over this with my 1050Ti and 1080p display, right?

Or can one use this on smaller displays as well instead of the traditional anti-aliasing? Would that have any performance benefits? Though I suppose my card doesn't even support it, it's only for RTX cards, right?

38. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

What about overhead line flickering and tree shimmering with the new tech activated?

39. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

DLSS is only for 20- and 30-series RTX cards. AMD's take on upscaling, FidelityFX Super Resolution, should work on any GPU. Unreal Engine supports both and I believe all Gen 8 and Gen 9 consoles can use FSR. If DTG were to look into implementing it as an optional feature, up-scaling could potentially provide a little framerate bump for older hardware (and especially PS4/Xbox One) without much of a visual impact.

40. Sharon E

59 hz

41. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

42. Crosstie

Well, I'm giving it a go. It has no effect on fps, of course, but I think I am seeing a slightly better image graphically. I don't really understand the technical aspects of it, so I'll leave it on, seems harmless.

43. Sharon E

So far, I have seen no ill effects from having this updated software on my system and it may be a clearer image.

• Like Like x 2
  44. mariussoare_84

If I've seen correctly, the setting is global and can not be applied particularly to the TSW 2 exe file if you choose it manually in the settings.

I haven't tried with other games yet to see if for them it is available individually rather than globally otherwise you would have to enable and disable depending on title and needs.

45. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

It needs to be set globally. What will activate it on any game is the selection of any of the scaled resolutions in the game´s graphical options instead of the native resolution.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. 5cip

5cip Active Member

is it normal that the memory gpu temp is between 82 °c - 90°c while the main gpu is around 58°c - 70°c
    tested on Asus 3080 12 gig Tuf gaming with hwinfo

47. RdWing

RdWing Member

I also have a 3840x1600 gsync monitor, 144hz. DLDSR works great for me with your crazy horse settings and a few extras from me, at the 1.78x option. Looks great too.

Forgot to add I'm also using SpecialK to layer in HDR, along with DX12 rendering. For the previous question about ReShade, should work great.

• Like Like x 1
  48. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I run my 3080TI in a 3.0 slot. No issues at all.

49. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Not sure if it is normal, but my Gigabyte 3080 has higher memory temperatures than yours (about 95C) which was a little concerning to me when I saw it

50. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Some 30xx cards had a bit wanky thermal padding inside, might be worth taking a look and potentially replacing that to better conduct the heat away from the memories.