Duff Coal Never Records As Completed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Umpire, Jan 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Umpire

Umpire New Member

I have done the Duff Coal scenario upwards of 20 times. According to the "in scenario" screen I have scored anywhere from 200 to 550 points. The next screen always says that I earned '0' points. When I go back to the academy screen, it shows as not completed.

Do you have to get a perfect sore to get credit for this scenario?

Any assistance appreciated.

2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Which route is this on?

3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Have you edited the route it's on in any way? Doing this will invalidate all career scenarios on that route.

4. Umpire

Umpire New Member

No edits at all. I have not progressed to that level yet.

5. Umpire

Umpire New Member

Duff Coal in the Academy

6. Umpire

Umpire New Member

Correction. Not in the Academy. In the Career page of the default regular game (no edits or add-ons)

7. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Is this the GWML Paddington to Oxford scenario?
    I used to care about scores and now I don't. I wouldn't get so worried about them.

8. inversnecky

9. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Hi, have just given this scenario a run and it is showing up as completed for me, so it is possible.
    Just a thought, but are you uncoupling both the Class 47s not just the leading one?
    duff-coal.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Every scenario you run is on a route and as the picture above shows it is on the Great Western Mainline.

11. inversnecky

And a GOLD STAR no less too, Craigie! :)

I managed it too, but that could well be the issue highlighted above. I almost uncoupled the second 47 by mistake.*

The only other thing I can think of is not stopping in the correct place to uncouple the first lot of wagons.

*I notice that in the F3 HUD, it's often not possible with a long train to locate the correct linkage behind the locos to click to uncouple (indeed locos typically not even visible on the diagram), so I have to temporarily change to the F4 full HUD for this. I know there's a keyboard shortcut for (un)coupling, but would this locate the correct couple position here (keeping the two locos)?

Coupling F3 HUD.png
    Coupling F4 HUD.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  12. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

If you use an external POV and hover the mouse over a coupling the pointer should change to indicate that you can uncouple it that way with a click (and presumably couple if you don't have auto couple on). If you're trying to un-hitch the last 20 wagons from a long train it's easy to lose count but it's an option.

13. Umpire

Umpire New Member

14. inversnecky

Yes, it doesn’t warn you if you only uncouple the one loco.

15. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Be aware that some scenarios do not allow uncoupling by clicking on the coupler -- severe point deductions or scenario over penalties may occur.

16. inversnecky

I tried this on the Shaken not Stirred scenario this morning, but it wasn’t possible ‘manually’ like that.

17. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

I have had this too, i get as far as stopping to uncouple but cant see the locos on the hud to uncouple them. I usually play with a controller but might plug the mouse in to see if there is the option to scroll left to right on the hud

18. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I play TS with an xbox controller (& keyboard of course). The option I use to scroll left & right on the HUD is the left & right arrow keys on the keyboard. Hope this helps. :) EDIT - I find that auto repeat doen't work though, so you have to keep tapping the arrow key.

19. inversnecky

Thanks for the tip, didn’t realise this was possible!

20. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Will give it a go later thanks for the tips!

21. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I concur with this. I recorded a video of this scenario ages ago. It will be published in time. And I did not just get a gold star...

Oxford Bound, on the other hand, has impossible timetabling and I eventually edited a clone of it (since editing the official one is impossible due to the lock on the scenario). I show the problem with the timetable and apply the tightest possible timetable I can for my eventual run, which is of course without a problem. You can still score in the official one and even savescum your way along possibly moving the time in your favour slightly; however, you cannot clear the second half cleanly because a train remains in the station the minute you are to arrive. You have no choice but to arrive late and try to make up time. In the end, a gold star MIGHT be possible, but you have to REALLY push the Oxford stop at the end and get the speed down perfectly, and stop very early on the platform without properly pulling in.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  22. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Completed it earlier i used the left and right arrows on the numpad and it worked a treat

23. inversnecky

Which makes you wonder again, do they ever test it?!

I recall one scenario where it was possible to keep on time at the first few stations, then there was a station about two miles away that was supposed to be reached but a minute later.

The subsequent station was timetabled realistically, and allowed you to catch up time wise, but the damage was done point wise by the previous one, which binned hundreds of points because it was impossible to reach other than about two minutes late.

24. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I believe this is on Portsmouth Direct Line. The scenario is Halfway Hazelmere and the station is Farncombe, 9:57:25 arrival expected after Godalming at 9:56:25. I was naturally and unavoidably "late" on that one despite it being not possible; you're held until the point you are permitted to leave for that stop. Guess what? That's the next route to come after my German runs, so you will get to see that one soon (GWML comes after PDL).

Even if it was possible, 800 is the maximum score anyway. Not as bad as the one worth only...400 points.

25. inversnecky

I just had a look, and hadn’t done this one, so must be another I struggled with: I have a recollection it’s on the South London Network.

I’ll give the Haslemere one a go and see how I get on!