Wagons Air Or Vacuum Braked?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Jan 16, 2022.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

How can you tell if a wagon is air or vacuum braked? Especially in TVL?
    I would also like to know id Class 20 safety is restricted to AWS? I cant find any other switches..

2. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Also, yes, the 20 only has AWS, however it does also have a DSD (Driver Safety Device, also known as a Dead Man's Pedal) which is on and can't be turned off (unless I've just not found the fuse), but you'll only know about it if you stand up while in motion. If you press the DSD Holdover button it'll temporarily isolate it. Vigilance devices are relatively new on freight locos in the UK, but they've been fitted to passenger locos/trains since the mid-80s.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  5. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Thanks for all of you to give all the answers so quickly.

6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

This thread came from west cornwall, where rivet implemented an "auto" moving brake selector when coupling.

Such phantom setting changes are not even the worst feature possible for a sim, exhauster and compressor settings didnt change either. I guess rivet has just no clue what they are doing.

I pointed out in their forum: when my brake selector is in vacum or air condition, there is a reason for that. No need for phantom movements.

About the uk brakes i recommend to test and mess around a bit in tsw and check with the br manuals available.

Here the link to a thread where i have explained the brake hoses:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/west-somerset-railway-locos-brake.50072/

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/class-33-levers-switches-etc-help.50401/

Part 1 - Agenda / Description for coupling:

- M.R.P -- Main Reservoir Pipe (3/4 Inch - Yellow hose, for equalizing the Main Reservoir pipe between the 2 Locos)
    - V.B.P -- Vacuum Brake Pipe (2 Inch - Black Vacuum Hose, the partial bulged with the big diameter)
    - A.B.P -- Air Brake Pipe (1 Inch - Red Hose)
    - E.C.A.P - Engine Control Air Pipe (Grey Hose, for example cl.20 & 33 have them)
    - S.H.P -- Steam Heat Pipe (Boiler equiped Locos for Steam Train Heating --> Cl40 in tsw, looks similar to the Vac Hose, just smaller in diameter)
    - E.T.H -- Electric train Heat Jumper Cable (Such as the Cl.47/4, Cl45/1 & Cl33 etc.)
    - Control Jumper -- When working MU the control Jumper is needed for controlling the second loco