Southern 313

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by liamlikesviolin, Jan 17, 2022.

1. liamlikesviolin

liamlikesviolin Member

Hello all,

Got this little gem Saturday night and I do like it a lot. I remember from the turorial something about it being a camshaft that powers it and something to do with the throttle number 1 but I don't get it and was wondering should it be driven differently? Also as I know there's at least 1 southern driver on these forums, what setting do they pull off in etc and is it true they don't use the dynamic brake function.

Thanks and all that!

Liam

2. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Not a driver and don’t want to be one however I am a bit of a train nerd lol.

camshaft is complicated but when driving it should be
    (Shunt) Notch one to like 5-6mph (I think)
    (Series)Notch 2 up to around 20mph
    (Parallel)notch 3 to 40-45mph
    (Weakfield)Notch 4 up to top speed

3. liamlikesviolin

liamlikesviolin Member

That works too! Nothing wrong with being a train nerd and I appreciate the info thanks

4. liamlikesviolin

liamlikesviolin Member

oh another thing coasting does one close the throttle or does that put strain on the camshaft irl?

5. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

The main difference with the camshaft control (compared to other Electrostars and the CCL 314) is that you have to go back to "neutral" before selecting a lower power level (similar to the Bakerloo '72 stock). So say you're in Notch 3 but are accelerating a bit too fast, you have to go all the way back down to 0 before throttling up to Notch 1 or 2, otherwise it does nothing (if you just drop straight from 3 to 1 without going to 0, the number will say 1 but the train will still perform as if you're in 3).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. liamlikesviolin

liamlikesviolin Member

really useful info thanks

7. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Is that represented in game? I don’t think it’s something I’ve ever noticed (or been aware of in order to notice)

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yeah it is... Maybe you just always naturally drop to 0 rather than going down one or two notches so never noticed it in action

• Like Like x 1
  9. liamlikesviolin

liamlikesviolin Member

I just redid the tutorial and it quickly mentions to go into neutral 0 setting, then select a lower gear but I must have missed it first time around. Again thanks for the info guys.