West Highland Line Extension...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Feb 7, 2021.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Morning all...

I have 2 questions about this route...

1. Playing the scenario Shaken not Stirred, upon arrival at Fort William you are required to run round your train... After returning the single line token to Banavie and uncoupling from my train, I move forwards into the neck / headshunt & change ends...

Changing the points, I get a notification that I am now under the control of normal signals... Pressing TAB gives me approval to pass the signal at danger. I move the light engine forwards but when I do so I fail the scenario because I've passed a signal at danger...!!!

I've attempted this 4 times now & have even saved my progress once arriving in FW so I can retry starting in the headshunt but I still fail...!!!

I've had a good look around but can't see any signal even though I have approval to pass the signal at danger... What am I doing wrong???

The second question pertains to my general driving style & wonder how drivers deal with this in real life...

When descending gradients (generally in double figures 1:99 etc...) dynamic braking obviously doesn't come into it (unlike US locos) however when it comes to controlling my train speed I find the train brake "too severe" and have resorted to using the loco brake only to control my speed... Would this be considered normal practice in the real world & if not how is it actually done in the real world???

Apologies if my post is a bit on the lengthy side!!!

Eric

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Don't have the route so this is a guess but do you need to use Ctrl+Tab to pass a signal behind you? I find that TS's idea of which end is the front and which is back can be quite independent of which cab you are in and how your reverser is set and one can lose track.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cropredy8

cropredy8 Member

I've had the same problem. After trying several times, it is the ground position signal at the far end of the track that causes the SPAD. If I remember, after hanging ends and setting the route, bring up the taskbar screen and select the request to pass "behind" you.

4. ntypeman

I've tried that but it says permission denied... I'll give it a whirl later...

Eric

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget that no matter what YOU do in the scenario, the front of the loco or consist is set at the beginning of the scanerio itself, so even if you change ends "the front" as far as the dispatcher is concerned hasn't changed, so in this case CTRL+TAB will allow you to pass the signal
    Best thing to do I find is to determine when the brakes actually start to apply (sometimes it's at the 30% mark rather than 0%) and when going downhill keep a tight rein on the braking, not allowing the speed to drift more then .3 or.4 above the limit before putting the brakes on a bit to slow things down

6. ntypeman

Nope...

Suggestions on here don't seem to work... Still SPAD when trying to run round the train / empty stock... Does anyone have any other ideas???

Eric

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  7. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Any joy, Eric? I'll give it a shot over the hols and see how I manage.

8. ntypeman

Inver...

Not been on TS22 in ages tbh... not had much time of late...

I'm on holiday from work this & next week so hopefully I'll get chance to go on it at some point...

Eric

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

If you're not sure bring up the F1 overlay. You can see if signals in front of you or behind are on danger if the buttons on the right are highlighted.

10. inversnecky

Well I had a go at this scenario this morning and finally managed to solve the mystery, which appears to be caused by a technical issue.

I pulled into Fort William, uncoupled and pulled forward of the crossover, beyond the leverframe, and looked at the track layout overview to reverse both the crossover points. Then, like everyone else, upon reversing the 37, I immediately encounter the SPAD and game over.

Reloading from just before that point (thank heavens for F2!), I looked about the area, to determine which signal could possibly be causing the SPAD. All I could see were two ground signals at red along the crossover line and it's neighbour. (Remember the reference to 'conventional signals' in the scenario advice at that point means you are following these physical signals, and not applying for a new RETB token, which can also be used for shunting manouevres strictly within station limits.)

20220104130221_1.jpg

So I explored further along the track in the direction of those signals, when I noticed that the second set of points in the crossover hadn't been reversed, despite me doing so in the track overview:

20220104130736_1.jpg

I checked the overview, and the route seemed correctly set. So I reversed the points manually using the lineside lever. Low and behold the ground signal clears and I am able to reverse and pull around my train, with no TAB or CTRL+TAB required (the earlier SPAD must have been related to the red ground signal due to the half set crossover).

From that point, the scenario can easily be completed, pulling forward with the train, then reversing using TAB at the signal below at the station end of approach (see cleared shunt signal) to get permission to bring the train into Platform 2 for berthing.

20220104131217_1.jpg

Naturally, I threw away all my points with time taken figuring this out (a 1,700 point penalty for a few minutes lateness?!), but it just proves the scenario can be done. Presumably it's some sort of coding issue underlying this bug? Can a patch or something be issue to resolve this?

20220104132028_1.jpg

Now if only someone could install RETB on an AP Class 37.....

11. inversnecky

Part of my tardiness was caused by this lineside stag, complete with sound effects, which I'd never noticed before on the route!

20220104123630_1.jpg

Incidentally, it was also a nice change to see a more typical type of bus on the route, instead of the usual red London double decker buses that seem to run all over rural Scotland!
    20220104131842_1.jpg

12. inversnecky

ntypeman - did you manage this scenario ok now?

13. ntypeman

Inver...

Not had chance to be honest... Keep poking me.. The weekend will be my next chance to get on TS...

Eric

14. inversnecky

Not to worry, Eric, just wanted to check in case you hadn't seen the updates!