Reigate Station Scenery - A 'last Minute' Decision?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jan 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Considering this is a fully accessible station in TSW, with lots of services starting and terminating here, it must be said that the modelling of the station and the immediate surrounding area looks extremely shoddy and unfinished.

I've seen 'off the map' scenery look better than this. It begs the question; was the decision to include the station a last minute decision, as opposed to leaving it inaccessible?

The most important question I want to ask is, will DTG ever fix the dreadful scenery around the station?

Here are some screenshots and comparisons below. The screenshots talk for themselves...

TSW2_Josh_1642375307_00.jpg
    upload_2022-1-16_23-24-52.png
    TSW2_Josh_1642375481_00.jpg
    upload_2022-1-16_23-27-20.png
    TSW2_Josh_1642375651_00.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Reigate clearly was a Friday job, and not just any Friday. The devs had been invited to a BOYB work "meeting" with wine & cheese, and it was either leave the station half finished or let Boris down.

They clearly couldnt let the PM down.

• Like Like x 21
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You have to say parking's a breeze in the TSW version. A bit dicey, though, without crossing gates.
    And we've gained a new park with fairly mature trees. I'd like some of that topsoil for my backyard! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Pretty bad there's no crossing gates

• Like Like x 4
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

At some point this route will get its preservation update. There are still tons of invisible walls at different stations, which block the path to change platforms.

Pis at wivelsfield is showing the wrong platform direction (why the hell are they not checking what they are doing?...) this one went from a broken pis to a wrong information pis.

Since the 166 causes problems sometimes with the redhill reigate service, they fix that before going to fix scenery cosmetics.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It's not really fair on the Preservation Crew to lumber them with stuff that is either broken or incomplete on the route's initial release. That removes their focus from fixing unforeseen issues or adding enhancements to increase our enjoyment.

• Like Like x 10
  7. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

still find it hilarious that the platform ramps are used as entries and exits in tsw, the scenery on this route is utter crap

• Like Like x 5
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I don't think it was a last-minute decision to include it, it's likely they just left it till last.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

There is still a whole load of unfinished stuff that is wrong with London Commuter. Reigate station is probably the worst offender but the fact the cab of the 377 doesn't go dark in tunnels or when driving at night is another, as is the PIS errors and glitches.

I was holding out hope that the "London Commuter update" on the roadmap would fix most of the issues but that has now disappeared and all Matt was talking about fixing in a recent stream is the third rail collision. So it seems like all this will stay as it is until the preservation crew come round to it in 12-18 months time.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think it was rushed. After realising they’d built a completely wrong station for Reigate, I reckon someone was given a couple of hours to get it ready for release and this was all they could manage. It’s unforgivable really. Highly detailed? Immersive? TSW 2 leaves a lot to be desired on many routes.

• Like Like x 8
  11. meridian#2659

Yes its not showing tsw from its best side, but i rather prefere a not so nice reigate than no branchline.
    The fact the station was a double floor generic building before release let me asume this was a last minute decision.

• Like Like x 3
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Clearly this was a last minute decision. Reminds me of how the hs1 section on sehs was modeled. Why can't DTG get things right the first time?

• Like Like x 3
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Was either a last minute addition or they forgot about it leaving "placemarkers" that then got forgotten about
    The missing scenery, the end ramps used for passenger access, the fact that passengers cross the bridge as an exit rather than using the road... the whole branch seems to be incomplete

• Like Like x 2
  14. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but having a WCML which has zero mainline AI traffic and incorrect OLE, it doesn't surprise or shock me at all.

So long as people pay that's all they care about.

• Like Like x 2
  15. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It’s not just the missing scenery. A couple of collectables, which were presumably on the original station build, are missing meaning that the achievement cannot be, well, achieved.

This is much more important than a cosmetic update from the Preservation Crew. It is a fundamental error which should have been fixed immediately as it stops a key feature of the game from being completed. Surely it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to add these to the scenery. So why have we been waiting 3 months?

• Like Like x 5
  16. londonmidland

The lack of updates for BML is slightly concerning, although I can’t say I’m surprised as this is just usual DTG behaviour.

It seems the main team just release it, in a clearly unfinished state, and then dump the fixes for the preservation team to sort out. That in itself will take several months to be released.

This is why it’s really important for things to be right the first time round. As there is no guarantee it’ll even be fixed.

• Like Like x 14
  17. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Yes, time of bug fixing is long and when its scenery lacks it will probably never be fixed. In recent update they finally fixed red lights problem in CCL (and intro bug), i dont know how long it was broken but it was already broke in october when i bought thé route, so minimum 3 month (probably more)... for a gamebraking bug on a recent line..

So how long may it be for cosmetic problems ? Eternity ?

18. Clumsy Pacer

I think it broke during the rush Hour update, so August, and it was a core issue affecting many routes.

19. chacal#2181

So 4, 5 month... come on
    A question : do DTG ever changed/updated scenery or landscape in TSW like station ? I know the preservation team works on old routes, but they wont change station if i remember clearly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Clumsy Pacer

They did a lot of scenery work arouns Ashaffenburg on MSB, since the 204 uses the dock area which was pretty bare bones.

• Like Like x 1
  21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The Reigate branch was added to the route at the same time as the branches were cut from DRA just before the forum exploded with fury over those and other changes to the Rush Hour release. It likely would have been there (but not accessible or had any scenery) in the original plan but as some services terminate at Reigate it was added as a place players could go. This clearly added to the workload of the scenery team and it didn’t get finished in time for release. Whether it gets an update at any point remains to be seen. If it’s waiting in line to get worked on by the preservation crew then it may well be 18 months before the route gets looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

What WCML? TSW includes not one foot of track between Euston and Edinburgh (unless you want to count Glasgow Central)

23. redrev1917

Well theres the section next to the Bakerloo line if we are being pandatic as well.

24. Clumsy Pacer

The mainline next to the Bakerloo line?
    Here's Harrow & Wealdstone station:
    [​IMG]

I presume this is what Matthew Wilson was referring to.

Also the WCML doesn't go to Edinburgh, it goes to Glasgow. I believe the Carstairs - Edinburgh bit is classed as a branch of it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  25. solicitr

Right. So DTG is to be slated for not developing and including AI scenery trains?

• Like Like x 2
  26. redrev1917

It would seem so, personally its never bothered me, I just assume the line is shut for engineering works (after all given the quietness of the actual bakerloo line I also assume we are running a Sunday service during industrial action) and that satifisies my immersion of the route.

Seems like others just like to find fault.

27. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

No DTG are to be criticised for poor choices if development route. If you don't want to make AI WCML then don't build an underground route that runs directly right next to one of the busiest sections of railway in the UK. I acknowledge I'm clearly not the target market for TSW in account of having bought both, a few DLCs and having logged less than 100 hours in the whole time I've owned them all.

• Like Like x 1
  28. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

In this instance we are criticising the scenery at Reigate which is indefensible for an otherwise positively acclaimed DLC

• Like Like x 4
  29. ARuscoe

I don't see why not. The line depicted is the Bakerloo line, so even though the line adjacent is there IRL doesn't mean it absolutely has to be in game, otherwise it would be impossible to build ANY rail line that isn't a complete standalone...

• Like Like x 2
  30. chacal#2181

IMO AI trains are à big part of immersion ans shouldnt be ignore just because not part of the line.
    As for Reigate, hope it will get some love one day.

31. solicitr

While that's true, and while Brighton is so great because it's so crowded, nonetheless the Thameslink trains were left out because DTG can't build new trains just as moving scenery.

32. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

There is a clear line here and it is one I support. AI trains on the same line are simulated where possible, but items on different lines are just scenery. Eg WCML on Bakerloo or narrow gauge on Chemnitz.

• Like Like x 1
  33. meridian#2659

I agree to that mostly because the rolling stock is missing and not yet available.

Howerver even if the tracks outside the "dlc line" is not part of the drivable section, to have trains running there would make a huge impact in getting the route and experience more alive.

Mainline traffic on the bakerloo line would make a huge difference on the gameplay side. So my opinion is when the rolling stock is made, this should be part of the experience as a.i traffic.

34. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think anyone who seriously thinks that DTG are going to make a AI Pendolino and class 350 etc, just for a few miles of the WCML, modelled as it simply is there, are frankly living in cloud cukoo land. I am sure it isn't a five minute job. Sure if they are ever made for a route for them, then it would be good to see them added as AI traffic if that is possible.

As for Reigate, it does look a mess. The Redhill end seems okay but the Reading end with the basic level crossing and the stranded looking footbridge do ruin the station. Maybe the residents of Reigate are a kamakazee bunch or there is some heavy duty vandalism going on! I am surprised it was released in that state I must admit.

• Like Like x 6
  35. solicitr

Exactly. DTG did include Southeastern and Great Western trains, several of them AI-only, because they already had them to hand. But they weren't going to run out and build a 700 just for background!

(Query: BML is supposedly set in 2019 using the pre-COVID timetable, right? So the Class 43 is a bit anachronistic, having been pulled off the London services two years before...)

• Like Like x 1
  36. ARuscoe

Last HST services from Paddington were in May 2019 and the service on BML is supposed to be a GWR divert out of Waterloo
    So it's kind of a "fictional - easter egg - golden nugget" type affair

• Like Like x 2
  37. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, has that ever been any acknowledgment about Reigate. I've seen no end of comments about it but I don't think I've ever seen any "hands up, could be better" from DTG.

To be honest I'm not that fussed as it's only minor
    Services it supports but they're normally pretty good at acknowledging

• Like Like x 1
  38. londonmidland

I don’t recall DTG ever making any sort of comment about the state of Reigate. In fact the whole topic of BML has gone pretty silent from them it seems.

• Like Like x 4
  39. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Perhaps the forthcoming presentation event might be a good opportunity to press questions over such matters!

• Like Like x 1
  40. chieflongshin

Perhaps it should be a case of standard practice, scenery to extend 100m beyond playable area

• Like Like x 2
  41. Clumsy Pacer

Good luck getting an answer when half the events aren't even live, and when they are they're showing something not London-Brighton.

• Like Like x 1
  42. ARuscoe

The scenery DOES extend beyond the playable area, it's just not very well depicted (being kind)
    This is true of a lot of scenery on a fair amount of DLC including SEHS, BML etc

43. solicitr

Depends on the route and its sightlines. Not much point for most of Bakerloo!

44. chieflongshin

I wonder if Adam’s team will do a tidy up on it. I think it’s just seen as subsidiary to route so not as much detail needed. Similar with st Ives.

45. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I suspect the number of players who know Reigate station are small enough that Dtg won't be too bothered by their complaints :(
    It's really just a token for a peripheral station.