Pacific Northwest Corridor: Seattle - Tacoma

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Passarino, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Passarino

Passarino Member

Hi everyone, this is my first forum post, so my apologies if I do anything incorrectly. Also, please note, the measurements on this route are roughly mapped in google maps, so some measurements may be off.
    Anyway, I'd like to propose a 48 mile American passenger route for Train Sim World 2.
    So let's get into it.

Pacific Northwest Corridor: Seattle - Tacoma
    This route would bring the following to Train Sim World 2:
    -40 miles of mainline tracks on the PNW corridor, with an 8 mile branch exclusive to commuter service.
    -1 commuter timetable, from Seattle to Lakewood, WA (Referred to as the S Line).
    -1 intercity timetable, from Seattle to Tacoma, WA (Referred to as the Cascades Line).
    About the lines suggested:
    -1 potential freight service, though I won't elaborate on this since BNSF is the primary freightliner in this area, and there seems to be licensing issues with them. However, I think Tacoma Rail or Union Pacific could be used to avoid this problem.
    -Sound Transit's S Line:
    -The S Line currently operates over 47~ miles. It makes 9/7 stops, taking about 63/48 minutes, respectively.
    The S Line has an 8 mile branch from Tacoma Station that extends south to Lakewood station. This branch is exclusive to the S Line. The S Line services that have 7 stops exclude this branch from their service.
    -The S Line's earliest Northbound service begins at 04:36, and the latest at 18:30. The S Line's earliest Southbound service begins at 06:35, and the latest at 18:30. Altogether, there are 20 services each day. For timetables, some services should be split into different segments for shorter timetable options. There are also large gaps from morning services to evening services. These could be filled with variants of the regular services for more content.
    -The suggested rolling stock would be:
    -(Locomotive) F59PHI, in Sounder livery.
    -(Cab Car) Bombardier Bi-Level IX Cab Cars, in Sounder livery.
    -(Coaches) Bombardier Bi-Level Coaches, in Sounder livery.
    -Amtrak's Cascades Line:
    -The Cascades Line operates over a much larger range, but spans 40 miles from Seattle to Tacoma, WA. It makes 3/2 stops over this distance, taking about 53/52 minutes, respectively.
    -The Cascades Line's earliest Northbound service enters Tacoma at 10:55, and the latest at 22:15. The Cascades Line's earliest Southbound service begins in Seattle at 7:25, with the latest entering Seattle at 18:10. This schedule offers 8 services, 4 of each direction. However, I think this can be expanded upon for the sake of additional content.
    -The suggested rolling stock would be:
    -(Locomotive) Siemens Charger diesel locomotives, in Amtrak Cascades livery.
    -(Coaches/Cab Car) Talgo Series 8 articulated tilting train sets, in Amtrak Cascades livery.
    -Photos/Media of the rolling stock and route:
    Bombardier Bi-Level IX Cab Car in Kent Station
    [​IMG]
    Amtrak Cascades Siemens Charger connected to Talgo trainset, in King Station, Seattle.
    [​IMG]
    Footage of the Sounder going through Tacoma Dome station.

One of Sound Transit's many F59PHIs in Seattle, alongside other consists.
    [​IMG]
    Sounder consists in Amtrak maintenance yard, with an Orca themed paint scheme for one locomotive.
    [​IMG]

Sounder S Line route map.
    [​IMG]

This concludes my suggestion article! I hope you all enjoy it, and I hope Dovetail or a partner considers this! I have lived in this region my whole life, and always have enjoyed seeing the Sounder dash about, and hope that this gains traction. I'd love to see TSW2 give the gift of dashing about Washington state's S Line and it's evergreen beauty.

Sources:
    Sounder Schedule: https://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/documents/schedule-sounder.pdf
    Amtrak Cascades schedule: https://www.amtrakcascades.com/sites/default/files/TrainSchedule-5-24-21.pdf
    Image 1, Cab Car at Kent: https://seattletransitblog.com/2019/09/14/expanding-sounder-south/
    Image 2, Amtrak Cascades in Seattle: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/..._King_Street_Station_(Seattle),_Feb._2018.jpg
    Footage in Tacoma:
    Image 3, F59PHI in Seattle: https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounder_Commuter_Rail
    Image 4, Amtrak maintenance yard: https://www.seattletimes.com/news/northbound-sounder-service-suspended-again/
    Image 5, Sounder S Line route map: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/WASOUND/bulletins/25e2b2a
    (Reposted as it was in the wrong subforum)

• Like Like x 15
  2. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Not a busy route for sure, but I do like it a lot. Main issue I see with it is BNSF. The freight trains likely populate the route more than the passenger trains do. Amtrak is pretty exciting, as the Cascades trains are unique for using the Talgos. Perhaps the Coast Starlight could also be considered, as that can provide some neat gameplay, where you turn the train around on a wye junction (which would also include the Empire Builder). As a Seattle area resident, of course I'm going to want this route in the game (even if I personally prefer the Seattle Link) :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Passarino

Passarino Member

Yeah, I feel you. The freight would be a necessity, but I think BNSF could be subbed out for Union Pacific. And not to worry! My next forum post is going to be on the Link Light Rail! :D It's my favorite, too. Just felt like posting abt the PNW corridor first.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joshcv2112

joshcv2112 New Member

Happy to see someone making this suggestion, I would buy the cascades route in TSW2 in a heartbeat. Lots of opportunity for scenery too, especially the track that goes under the Tacoma narrows bridges and such

• Like Like x 1
  5. Passarino

Passarino Member

Same here, especially hearing that the Sounder will be gaining additional services soon, I hope that TSW2 makes this happen some day.

6. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Great write up. Having an F59 and Charger in the game would also lead to a lot of other route possibilities down the road too.

7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The route should include the Charger, BNSF GP60/GP60M, and BNSF ES44AC/DC/C4 or ET44C4.

8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on and for BNSF these will be reskins of all us freight locomotives

9. Passarino

Passarino Member

The Charger is mentioned currently, and I excluded BNSF when I made this because of the whole legal issues surrounding it, but I think now there's new hope for BNSF to make it's way in TSW

10. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

Matt did confirm that the license they got to release BNSF content globally for TS 2022 actually does indeed include a BNSF license for TSW 2 so that issue has already been resolved.

11. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

DTG has recently stated they now have a proper BNSF license. This route is now very possible

12. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Have they said how many additional services it would be getting?

13. Passarino

Passarino Member

Not yet, I looked as far into it as I could and I could only see that they are planning on adding a mile or so of track in Tacoma, and lending 105 million to BNSF for right of way. For my personal schedule, I have my fingers crossed this could mean an all day type of schedule rather than 9-5 oriented.

• Like Like x 1