New To Tsw

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mrjamesinnes.ji, Jan 18, 2022.

1. mrjamesinnes.ji

mrjamesinnes.ji New Member

Hi I'm new to these sort of games and was really enjoying it until first delivery, tutorial was fine and was getting into the swing of it and then it hit me with switching tracks to avoid the oncoming train something that has not been shown in the tutorial which I find ridiculous to throw something in for the player to not know what to do. It's a shame as I would have bought all dlcs for this game but now it's just pissed me off and turned me off to this experience.

2. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Been there and you are absolutely right. I was as pissed as you were when I first played the game. I had the same exact experience as you this summer. A tip: you need patience with this game. The game developer is a small team and they know that the game is still too hard for newcomers. Watch some of the streams they make and you start to understand what kind of game you bought.

Another tip; Once you get the hang of the game don't start buying all the DLC before you did your research. Some DLC is still problematic but will be updated. It's only unclear when.

TSW2 is a nice game with some very good routes. From what I understand about internal affairs they have done a reorganisation to improve their workflow. The newest route (DLC) that came out showed lots of improvement over previous DLC. So keep an eye on this game.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  3. westbromrangers70

westbromrangers70 Member

Stick with it,I was exactly the same when I first started the game last year,it’s a very steep learning curve but worth it in my humble opinion,I thought I would never get the hang of it,but looking at vids and the dtg forum helped massively,some very helpful people on here.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I'm new to it as well and I might understand your frustration. These "Games" are quite complex simulations. Thus, the term "game" is IMHO totally misleading. Of course, there's a huge fun factor - and how could this be different - but a great amount of technical preparations with steep learning curves are necessary. You won't learn the entire range of skills in a 10min tutorial. It's just to get you started.

Looking at it from the bright side: It's a virtual world where you can screw up. Nobody gets hurt, no real damage is done. For me, the fun is to get it straight by next time trial.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

You will find yourself doing more research online about how to operate these things than any other game before.

And it will be worth it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Welcome.

I understand how you feel, but I also started from scratch a couple of years ago and I didn't expect to be given everything chewed up. I made mistakes but I looked for information in the forums, applied it and then I felt good because I saw my progress.

I recommend you not to get discouraged and keep trying, there are many people here who will help you and solve many doubts, but you have to see if you are interested in investing the necessary time to learn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

hi and welcome to the forums.

There are people on here that can help you, also there are a few you tubers to watch who stream train sim world.

There's a few top one to watch
    The British ace - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Nb3L1s96CivcAvi-cAPqw
    Mega Sim - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt-UgpOiyEBeUdnHCvTGUyA
    BCPRail123 - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCys5RiNCJLn536sHduSfoDw
    and theres me
    Hentis Rail - https://www.youtube.com/c/HentisD6569/

Most of us stream regularly so pop in on the livestreams and ask if you can.
    But yeah a alot of train sim world is by trial and error. But you might also want to check out

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/rushhour

Check out the guides, your profile etc etc.

Hope this helps
    regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  8. mrjamesinnes.ji

Thank you I do want to continue as it seems like a game that's right up my alley however I've spent nearly 4 hours trying to switch tracks and when I press them on the map nothing happens I'm on ps4 and can only assume it's a bug as no matter how many times I press just one signal to see if it takes a different line it does nothing. But thank you for the words of encouragement.

9. mrjamesinnes.ji

Thank you I will keep trying, nice community, I just want to switch track to continue my tutorial but for 4 hours now it won't even register I've switched it's frustrating but I keep persevering.

• Like Like x 1
  10. westbromrangers70

westbromrangers70 Member

If you look on the map,zoom into the blue circle,press that and watch which way the blue line goes,if that doesn’t work I hope someone else has an idea.if you have done all that I do apologise for stating the obvious.

11. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Hi, stick with it as it is a fantastic game. A bit less than two years for me and it is the best thing I di when I purchased it.

Switching points on the map. There are two maps, a live one where you will see the trains moving. And a static one where the trains are, well static. You can change the points on both maps but you will only see the blue line change in the live map when you click. On the static map they still change but you wont see that they have changed unless you come out of the static map and then load it back in.

You bring the live map up by pressing the large centre button. Just press it but not for much more than a second or so otherwise you get a list of the stops you have to make. The static map is the one you bring up by holding the options. I hope this helps, just don't give up on it to soon.

12. mrjamesinnes.ji

Thank you I'll give it a go soon.
    Thank you for taking time to help me really appreciate it.

13. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

I spent 40 minutes last night trying to find where to insert the key to fire up a UK class 313, and I nearly lost the plot. There’s no manual for the damn thing. Eventually I watched a you tube video and found it. Easy when you know how! Anyway OP, patience is a virtue and despite many failings and frustrations, we all love the game.

14. mrjamesinnes.ji

Thanks yeah I press it and the purple line would move to each optional track but now nothing is moving. Thanks for you reply though cheers

15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

V. Important: you can only see switches (points) move in the realtime map; in the map accessed through the pause screen the game is, well, paused, and you won't see anything change.

16. mrjamesinnes.ji

I can imagine I've only played a few tutorials and was loving it. I don't want it to be easy at all I want to explore everything I just wanted a signal tutorial before being thrown in blind but I'll keep going buddy. Thanks for the reply.

17. mrjamesinnes.ji

Thank you that makes sense. I'll give it a go

18. mrjamesinnes.ji

Thanks again got it now having a great time.

• Like Like x 4
  19. westbromrangers70

westbromrangers70 Member

Like I said loads of helpful people on here,glad your enjoying it now .

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Very pleased that you have got the switches to work now.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I bet you'll spend more time with this sim than predicted. I know my dog is already complaining. (Wifey not so much, but this is normal after more than 20 years of marriage. :))

• Like Like x 4
  22. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, I'm glad you didn't throw in the towel. If you like trains you'll be glad you insisted. I'm still learning things after two years, that's why I like TSW so much. In the forum there are users with an incredible level of knowledge not only of the game but of the railway world in general!

• Like Like x 1
  23. mrjamesinnes.ji

Haha I think you may be right.