I Need Help With Us Signals And Trackside Boards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Since I'm mainly a UK player, I am starting to get into more US routes to explore more of the game, and I do not understand the signals. Like why is there usually 2 signals on one post for example? And is there like special boards for whistles and bells (Well I know Whistle is W) but sometimes I see an "X" board before the crossing does this mean I sound my bell and not the horn? So please I would really like some help with US signalling! I haven't been able to find any good guides.

For example, what does this mean? It didn't change the speed limit so I know it's not a speed board.
    20220118143942_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  2. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

The double signal is usually found at sidings/crossovers; the top one is the siding track/other track, the bottom is the main. No idea what X is but yes, W is whistle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

The sign in your screenshot is a milepost, they indicate how many miles you are from the begining of the route you're driving on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

X advises a crossing - sound horn IF necessary. Sometimes you come across a WMX board - this means sound the horn, multiple crossings (close together). The Miami and the Hanover DLC has a number of them. The most common speed board has 2 speeds displayed - top for passenger and lower for freight (sometimes the same speed). Light engines can run at the passenger speed. Recommend you sign up to the Railworks America Forum - it's free and there's a lot of freeware and excellent advice on North America

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice!

6. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I don’t think the estimable PTGRail did an American signalling guide. There are some YouTube videos on that theme, though.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In the guides for some of the routes there is a guide to the signalling
    But DTG has been rather poor in providing that info in newer releases

8. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

There are lots of places that provide a basic overview of NA signaling, and there are many variations that can be found. A reasonable starting point is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_railroad_signals.

However, if you want to know the exact signaling usage for each route, this is a plug to read the User Manual for the route. Usually, there is a section outlining the expected signal aspects that you will encounter on the route and this can be especially useful for some of the historic routes. Also, a reminder that typically Steam has links to each Route User Manual that you can read even if you haven't bought the route yet.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problem I found looking for examples is DTG don't give any info in the Manuals
    Pick a new route and it tells you where it goes and the trains in it but no signal info
    They did in the older routes but the manuals have been removed

Even the TS2022 Manual has lost the Signal Guides

10. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

Sorry, I should qualify that most user manuals for NA routes have a section on signaling. Although, some of the latest routes created DTG themselves haven't had the most comprehensive manuals. Most 3rd party developers still provide pretty good information in the manuals and older DTG routes were good.

If you want a good example, have a look at the manuals for Arizona Divide (Milepost Simulations), CSX Hanover Sub (High Iron Simulations), or for something a little different B&O Kingwood Branch (VNHRR).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Did you try googling? This page came up for me: https://railroadsignals.us/. There are plenty of hits that should give you what you need.

12. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Thanks, this should definitely help.