A New Route Has To Offer Something Different. West Highland (scenery + Tokens?)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by johnbirch#4603, Jan 20, 2022.

1. johnbirch#4603

johnbirch#4603 Active Member

I was looking at the list of the "most popular suggestions" and after listening to Matt et al...

The problem with the most popular suggestions - WCML, ECML etc. - is that they offer little that is new.

I mean I'd LOVE ECML because its my local line, but what does it have/offer that London Commuter or Great Western doesn't? The answer is nothing. Its not particularly scenic, there is only the Hertford branch for variety. In terms of playing experience it would just be competing with the other two routes.

After all we already have...
    • Busy long-distance commuter line (London Commuter)
    • Main line from London, with HST (Great Western)
    • High speed line (SE High Speed)
    • Rural/Seaside (East Coastway & Cornish local)
    • Urban (Cathcart)
    I think the best hope for ECML or similar would be for Just Trains or other independents to do it them as they will presumably not be concerned about competing with Dovetail routes.

But for Dovetail it needs to be something new and different, either from a driving point of view or from a scenic point of view. Or both.

I suggest the best option - in the UK at least - would be something like the West Highland line from Fort William towards Mallaig:
    • Incredibly scenic, with iconic natural and manmade structures
    • A token-based route, which would be interesting and different
    • Potential for steam-based rail tours
    • Challenging driving on a undulating line
    That or go for a totally new time period - recreating a "lost line" like maybe Somerset & Dorset - but that restricts you to one form of motive power, whereas WHL has potential for more.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I do agree with the general sentiment that a new route should offer something different than we already have (so that's no more electrostars please). Although I'm not really familiar with ECML and WCML, I have played both routes in Train Simulator. I think they could potentially offer something if set in a correct time period. We don't have any real intercity routes yet.

And would really like to see the West Highland Line, I gotta say the part that passes through Rannoch Moor is just the most unique scenery I have ever seen in my collection of Train Simulator route. The extended part to Mallaig is nice, but nowhere near as unique scenery-wise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. johnbirch#4603

johnbirch#4603 Active Member

In terms of marketability, I think Glenfinnan with a steam train on top probably wins. No need to even mention a certain series of books and films!

And having driven the line with the token system on TS it is very challenging - my "score" was probably my worst ever by the time I staggered into Mallaig at the third or fourth attempt (previous tries not even getting that far)!

4. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Listen DTG please

5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Aye, Trainspotting was good. Loved the part where they got on the 08:22 from Queen Street up to Bridge of Orchy :D

Seriously though, the WHL is truly wonderful, it's a line I have memories of, and I'd love to see it in game, the "Extension" Fort W. - Mallaig is probably the most realistic option as well, considering it's length.