Since When Did The Cruise Control On The Acs-64 Work?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CowBoyWolf, Jan 18, 2022.

1. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

I hit cruise on button on the display with throttle in Idle and it holds the train at 122 mph

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. CowBoyWolf

upload_2022-1-18_22-17-34.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It’s funny you say that. I played the route when it first came out and poked around the screens and it seemed to be a lot of static data. Tried other week and it seemed to have more live info

• Like Like x 4
  4. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much DTG :) But why no mention?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, if this is true, it's a very welcome and pleasant surprise. I truly did not expect this fix, since it hasn't been mentioned by DTG since the first Boston stream.

• Like Like x 3
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I assume it's not yet fully working as intended so they've not shouted out about it until it is completely 100%. Otherwise I can't understand why they've not made a big deal about it

• Like Like x 4
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

But it wouldn't make sense for them to upload a half-fix; they'd keep it to themselves until it was finished.

8. solicitr

One area of communications where DTG MUST improve is providing accurate patch notes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  9. redrev1917

If I had to choose between DTG accidently including a part finished feature in a patch or DTG releasing a new feature and not shouting it from the roof tops I know which one Id bet me house on

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

What? More realistic functionality? If that's true, then that's great news

• Like Like x 2
  11. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the cruise control is working on the PS5 as well, and it does seem to manage speed pretty well. However I've noticed that the usual blue speed bug is not present when cruise control is engaged. I also can't seem to engage/disengage it properly, I think the throttle needs to be in neutral however I'm not quite sure.

It does very much appear to me that this feature is a work in progress that came with the ACS-64 update, and wasn't meant to be shipped yet. Who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I've spoken with the team and no significant changes were made to the Cruise control with this update.

When was the last time you played Boston Sprinter?

• Like Like x 2
  13. CowBoyWolf

Today

14. redrev1917

Cruise control is certainly working and so is the distance counter!!!

Very odd because neither was working on release and there's been no patch notes that I am aware of that announced these were now working.

Im now filled with hope that one day we'll see working distance counters on Sherman Hill

• Like Like x 7
  15. Dinosbacsi

I've tried it and the cruise control certainly seems to be doing something, as pressing the button makes the text change between "Cruise Off" and "Cruise On". I suppose previously it didn't change at all? And I do think it's holding speed, as I activated it at 125MPH and put the throttle in idle yet the train held the 125MPH speed.
    [​IMG]

That being said, I've never tried it before, so I can't confirm if it really didn't work before. But considering everyone keeps saying it's new, I beleive them. It's kind of funny if noone from the team knows about it though, lol. Maybe someone was half-way done with the feature at release, but it didn't quite make release, then forgot about it - then now that they worked on the locomotive again for the new livery, the feature ended up being included by accident without remembering it?

16. redrev1917

I can turn it on but for the life of me I cant turn it off so I suspect its still work in progress and got included in a patch by accident, just hope they dont remove it.

It could even be a dev's personal project rather than anything formal, Matt is always saying that the team like to tinker and play around in their spare time to see whats possible and what isnt. And its clear from the way Joe built Brighton Main Line's timetable in much of his own time that theres a passion within the team and they dont just see it as a 9-5 job.

Its a pleasant surprise and even the incab signalling seems to have improved (at least the Amtrak services), instead of being 5-10mins late on nearly every service the 2 Ive done tonight (one in both directions) I was only a couple of mins late at Back Bay eastbound and caught up time arriving 2 mins early into Boston. Westbound I was 2 mins late into Provident but I did incur a pen brake application at the 125-110 mph change over and without that Im fairly sure I would have practically been on time.

Ive a renewed interest and passion in the route again.

• Like Like x 4
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I noticed the cruise control was working since the first signalling update, not sure before then.

I never mentioned it, or treated it like an actual feature since it's not fully functional (or I am missing something), there is no blue indication on the HUD, and you can't turn it off: so once you activate you lose the "idle" position on the throttle, it will always be either some braking or power. So I never bothered to post it here.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  18. Crosstie

No question that cruise control is operational on the ACS64. With throttle at idle I switched it on and the MFD indicated Cruise On. It held my train at 121 mph at upgrade, downgrade and level. When I got the approach speed reductions, I was able to turn it off on the MFD and resumed throttle and brake control.
    Question is: how long has it been functioning? I haven't played Boston for a while, so I'm not sure. I'd really like to know, though.
    I can also confirm that something has changed with the in cab signalling. I was on time into Providence. I'm usually late.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I agree with Crosstie that the in cab signalling now allows you to keep to time, without the slowdowns to 30 mph some miles before each station. It seemed to me as though the cruise control needed the throttle at zero before it could be engaged, but turning it off proved more tricky (the train would start to accelerate back to 125 mph as soon as the brakes were released), although I managed it eventually, but I'm not quite sure how!

20. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

This is great news, I didn't think it would ever be done. I have not played Boston since the release because of the timetable and cab signalling issues but it sounds like that may be fixed as well.. will give it a run tonight.

21. Valtrex

Valtrex New Member

Hi,
    has anyone figured out how to properly turn off cruise control?
    As other mentioned, even when you click Cruise Control off on HUD, when you set throttle to idle, train resumes to previously set speed

22. Crosstie

I'd have to go back in and check, it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that I was able to turn it on and off using the MFD.

23. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I just reinstalled Boston Sprinter in preparation for its TSW3 update and the release of all the US DLCs next Tuesday.

Started up an ACS-64 passenger service and was very surprised when the cruise control started working. There was no sign of it in the HUD whatsoever, which made me very curious, and this thread was the only discussion on it I could find. When I decelerated for a station stop, I was very shocked to find out the Cruise Control had not deactivated correctly despite hitting the “Cruise Off” button and getting confirmation in the train screen. The loco started accelerating violently, fighting against my brake inputs, and a significant overshot could only be avoided with an emergency brake application! :o

I certainly hope this has been looked at as part of the new updates and DLCs for the Amtrak passenger routes! :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dinosbacsi

Yeah, I do wonder if they made it work properly for this release. Or if they even made any changes to it.

25. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Wasn’t expecting to find this thread, ever since its release to my knowledge it wasn’t implemented.

I remember asking about cruise control back on a thread for questions for the Boston Sprinter preview stream, it got asked by Sam and Matt’s reply was that the real loco had it somewhere quite deep within the menu screens but it wasn’t implemented.

I’ll be sure having a look for myself sometime later today.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  26. Crosstie

I just did a service from Providence to Boston South and the cruise control worked flawlessly at 125 mph. I was able to disable it on the MFD at Rt 128 and the train handled normally into Boston.

• Like Like x 1
  27. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I couldn’t get the cruise control to turn off properly. However, I have been enjoying the distance counter. The ACS is a great locomotive to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. Cruise control works OK when you turn it on, but sometimes it is not possible to turn it off after you turn it on (it will auto-accelerate the next time you set the power to idle).

• Like Like x 1
  29. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I'm also having difficulty turning the cruise off once enabled - it seems to always remember the last speed you set it to and attempts to meet it regardless of cruise on/off.

• Like Like x 1
  30. AtherianKing

What button do you press on the monitor to activate it, I can’t seem to find i

the picture above shows buttons 1 and 2 but them options are blank for me (XSX Boston sprinter)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  31. Crosstie

Buttons 1 and 2 turn cruise on and off and the status is indicated on the mfd.

32. AtherianKing

they’re blank on XSX they don’t have a name and don’t change anything, First button with a name is 3 (MCB) and it doesn’t seem to do anything either

33. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

They only appear once you're doing >10mph if that helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. AtherianKing

Ill give it a try a soon, might be why I didn’t see it on the depot run

35. AtherianKing

that solved the issue I was having, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  36. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure at what speed it works because when I was running a 10 mph about 20 kmh it's still not working should I do 50 km per hour 30 mph to have it activate

37. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

On xbx work halfway, it can be activated and keeps speed, but deactivated start messing up brakes and throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  38. solicitr

Not working for me. The screen text changes to "on" and "Off," but it has no effect on the train

39. AshBill

AshBill New Member

I have the same problem where I could enable the Cruise Control but could not disable it. The Cruise Control system keeps speeding the train up despite me pressing "Cruise Off" and confirming on the MFD that the Cruise Control is supposedly disabled. It got to the point where the train will automatically accelerate, trigging the ATC/ACSES penalty brake application, the train comes to a stop and, without any additional input, start accelerating again to its previous target speed.

• Like Like x 2
  40. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

it doesnt work properly... when I turn it off and revert to idle, it doesnt stay on zero kN, but does instead either brake or accelerate for some reason

41. AtherianKing

it wasn’t meant to be implemented, they probably tried to and ran into issues and scrapped the idea but left there possibly by accident what was done.

• Like Like x 1