Festival Of Rail: Sale Now On

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mr JMB, Jan 20, 2022.

1. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Yes, while they have probably good reasons when choosing what to put on sale, for my part i dont understand why Sherman is so cheap while Lubeck or TGV arent' even discounted despite being older.
    Still i wont complain, there is always something to grab !

• Like Like x 1
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm getting the feeling Sherman Hill didn't sell as well as DTG hoped it would.

3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Agreed , with Sherman I feel this is what they is known in less salubrious circles as a "urine theft"

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It certainly took me surprise as I was expecting at best 20% off at Easter or the summer sales, or waiting to Xmas '22 for 40% off.

5. chieflongshin

Be good to know the company view on this.

6. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Sad that the BR 101 is not on sale this time with it being used in the new SKA timetable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chieflongshin

I’d suggest commercially convenient

8. OldVern

TBH if I had paid full price for this stutter fest, it would have been refunded by now!

• Like Like x 1
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

It's the weekend before payday for many and the longest pay month (certainly in UK where most people get paid early in Dec). It's the best time to have a fire sale otherwise income this weekend would be very low for DTG

10. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

And of course just on pc...

11. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

And only on Steam on PC. I kinda regret purchasing DLC on Epic now, maybe they will notice the sale and match it.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  12. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

PC are the 35% minority of the player base. Maybe this is to try and hook more of them in

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's a Steam publisher event that also covers TS1, fishing and FSX.

• Like Like x 4
  14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Sherman Hill for £6.24 two months after release is a bargain. Annoyed I bought it at a pre-release price. This sale has made me think about future purchases, with many products at 75% off.

15. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

buy G6 TRAIN with 10% off

16. zhexuan_li

zhexuan_li New Member

Picked up SEHS class 465 bundle. Waiting for a bigger discount on G6 and Tharandter

17. OldVern

I doubt you will see any further discount on those items. Tharandter is brand new and the G6 also quite recent.

18. chieflongshin

So was Sherman hill...

19. OldVern

Good point but as previously speculated, I wonder if the sales were that good or the refund to sales ratio quite high, due to all the issues. Hence the decision to try and recover their losses on the project.

20. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

The game indeed doesn't have much traction on the Railworks America or Trainsim.com boards, I believe still the main fora for the USA.

About recent DLC already being discounted to 'almost giveaway' prices, isn't it common in the console game business a new game or level needs to recuperate its expenses in the first two weeks since release, being picked up by the fanatics? When that target isn't met, there will hardly be follow up sales to less fanatic players, especially when the reviews aren't positive.

Of course we shouldn't complain about sale prices, it just shows it's more economical to restrain your first buy impulse and wait for a sale. Also since by then, some of the most annoying bugs will have been eliminated. But this only goes for the PC market, the gaming console market has different rules and different parties dictating those rules.

21. chieflongshin

Possible yes. I didn't think Sherman was that bad. American freight is a funny one for me, I have a love hate with it. I get bored of the (and I know they're not but still cannot see much difference between them) similar looking trains.

SPG, I liked it to start with, then got bored of it, now don't mind it so much.
    CRR, Didn't like at first but now I quite like the F7
    Sherman - I'm undecided, nice to see open plains, some weird happenings, where if you run consists in the snow you stall out on the grade, it's probably a physics thing which is accurate but I just end up Notch 1 for ages. I think with Sherman it's so void of scenery in places I lose interest. That said I love the longer trains and fighting them.

22. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Nobody seems to learn, the best way to get as much value from a dlc is to wait until it’s discounted. By that point (in most cases) it’ll have had updates and fixes and be cheaper than buying day one.

Unfortunately too many people can’t wait and need to new dlc on day one. To those who can’t wait, thank you for providing additional testing and bug finding. We appreciate your hard work.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  23. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I thought I finished shopping the other day when I grabbed SEHS, 465, and 363. Now I am thinking about grabbing Clinchfield or Sherman. Clinchfield has much nicer scenery to me. Plus the F7 was the first model train I received as a child (a CN model). I am leaning towards this. I have Clinchfield on Train Simulator 2021 but forgot about it until now. I wonder how it compares and if it is even worth getting.... the price is just soooo tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

To start off:
    -it's shorter than the TS1 counterpart (as far as Dante down south) but added in all the branch lines (especially the Nora branch).
    -Well made scenery (except for some spots)
    -Only has the F7 (Silver) and SD40 (Black) locos, plus a caboose
    -Many services are severed into parts (at different times of day) that many do drop-offs and pick-ups to and from the branch lines, as well as main line runs north and south (be warned with stop markers and signal blocks though)
    -Some challenging scenarios (Limited Power as an example)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. BigMountain555

Are there a lot of shunting activities too? How does this route compare to Sherman in terms of activities? I might just end up grabbing both, making my Festival purchases a cool $40 in total.

26. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Not much of switching, again it's mostly doing drop-offs and pick-ups to and from branches (except for one switching with an F7, the rest uses the SD40). Except for two scenarios that does do switching (limited power is one).
    Sherman Hill is mostly running mainline runs up and down the track (with some challenging gradients depending on which side), but it does have some switching services within the two yards (plus two scenarios), as well as one to the refinery further west from Cheyenne, and a cement plant near Laramie. Not to mention the brake physics are very different from the other US routes so far and also have longer trains too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  27. BigMountain555

I guess I should just grab both. I am intrigued by the idea of 100-car trainsets in Sherman Hill. I actually sat and counted over 100 cars while running Canadian Mountain Passes one time. At full price, I would choose Clinfield no doubt, but on this sale price, I can consider it a two for one. Haha.

Thanks for the info. This forum is so helpful.

28. OldVern

Trainsim dot com sees very little traffic these days apart from the Open Rails section and maybe a bit of Run 8. Unfortunately it is also quite usual for topics in threads about other sims to get hijacked by the OR fan club who seem in denial that other sims exist. Don’t misunderstand me, Open Rails is a great undertaking and I’ve run a few of the old MSTS routes in it myself, from time to time. However it’s never going to offer a real alternative to a commercial sim backed by a multi £million company.

Apologies for the slight digression but just thought it worth mentioning, not really worth trying to increase TSW’s presence over there. As regards RWA, well I haven’t posted over there or even visited for years. Too much control over what can and cannot be said ( nuff said!).

29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Another reason I never buy at release......

• Like Like x 1
  30. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

I just got Boston Sprinter and London Commuter at 14,99 €. Given this is half the price for a route, it's quite the bargain. So glad I waited.

It's gonna be hard with Harlem, I admit.

• Like Like x 1
  31. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

For my part 75% sales, so i took for less than 13 euros :
    - diesels legends (i like it a lot but the fact that GWE is set in modern days was a turnoff at higher price)
    - BR 313 (cause i like a lot the base route and want more variety)
    - DB 182 (RT is an okay route now and need more traffic, and the 182 is the best way to have à good train on RT)
    -DB 363 (I m not into shunting, but i had one miniature as a kid and maybe it will get me into this way)

I would like the 101, but its not on discount this time so it will wait. As the excellent last German route.
    Now for US 75% sale freight routes, its still a no for me. I still havet even tried Sand Patch grade so even at small price i will pass.

• Like Like x 2
  32. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

chacal#2181 I got Diesel Legends, the 313 and Clinchfield just now (I haven't tried the first two, but Clinchfield seems fantastic so far).
    Very tempted to get BMG's Jubilee and 8F from TS1 while they're on discount as well.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've also bought the Caltrain MP15DC and the LIRR M3, as they were the only 75% discount items I didn't have yet. So all in all, I've been able to expand my virtual collection quite a bit this weekend. :)

• Like Like x 1