Moving Ts To Different Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by class2ldn2801, Jan 22, 2022.

1. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

I've just bought a 2tb nvme drive and want to move my TS folder to it.
    I'm making a complete backup of TS on the new drive and I know I can move the install through steam.
    My question is if I copy back the backup folder and overwrite will this work still with AP and JT products or will they need to be reinstalled on the new drive?

2. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

Probably better to just completely uninstall, and when reinstalling, Steam will ask you where you want to put it. Downside is you'd have to reinstall all your mods manually.

3. class2ldn2801

Yeah, thats something id like to avoid if I can help it lol

4. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

The problem with copy/pasting it is that steam would try and load files for wherever the files are now, which will not load at all. One solution may be to copy you files, do the uninstall/reinstall, then overwrite the files in the new spot. Not sure if that would work, just an idea.

5. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Do you want the new drive to keep the same letter as the one with the TS files?

if so, you could clone or copy?

6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There is a way to move the game to another drive, by right clicking on Train Simulator, then selecting properties. Then go to local files then you can choose move install folder.

I would do a back up first in case, then do a move. For me when I got a SSD drive I simply copied my player profile and a fresh install to the new drive to eliminate any issues. Then copied back my player profile.

7. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

No doubt it’s more reliable now, but ‘move’ with computers entails deletion of the existing files, therefore as said above, backup first, just in case!

• Like Like x 1
  8. class2ldn2801

Well I've made a backup, its copying files over now, looks like it literally just moves the whole folder over so you dont lose anything.
    Obviously the backup is there just in case but we will see what happens with the non steam addons etc, see if they function as before.
    If not I've got the folder backed up so il do a complete reinstall on the new drive (might do it anyway yet).Just want to see how it runs first.

9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Keep us up to date on your progress

10. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

11. class2ldn2801

Ok so so far generally it seems ok, having trouble with nvidia inspector though, it seems the settings are not being applied in game and im getting a shimmering like its not on at all.
    Had to re reinstall the ap track enhancement so just need to figure out why the nvidia inspector isnt working.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  12. class2ldn2801

Decided that as its on a new drive then may as well take the chance to have a nice fresh install, got my backup ready with all my assets and content folders etc

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I did just this this week.
    Having purchased a new SSD for TS I used Device Manager to rename the drive TS was on, G:\ to another letter.
    Placed the new drive in the Computer and called that G: then just moved everything directly to it using Cut and Paste.

Started the Steam Client then the game without any problems - only took me most of a day - 691Gb

14. class2ldn2801

Well im having issues now, even though ive unpacked the routes they arent showing up in TS. Also the start screen keeps going blank so rather then cut and past im going to reinstall it all manually, will probably take a good few days but at least I know its a completely fresh install and nothing is corrupted.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why did you unpack the routes? They should sit in their *.ap files
    And did you change the name of the drive the game is now on?

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Just copy the steam folder, and then point steam to your new installation. Easy peasy. I’ve done that myself.