Liverpool-crewe 1958 Is The First Steam Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Jan 22, 2022.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Liverpool to Crewe set in 1958 , has just been announced as the first UK steam route on the stream covering Spirit of Steam. Down below is a bunch of images that came out of that stream.

Update: First loco confirmed as an LMS Jubilee (Keep in mind that these screenshots are work in progress and are not final):
    LMS Jubilee.PNG
    Also confirmed that it's coming with more than one steam loco.

Update: Second screenshot of the Jubilee Cab (Also, is that an LMS 8F?):
    LMS Jubilee 2.PNG

Update: Here's the 8F
    LMS 8F.PNG

Also confirmed that Bossman Games are involved with this project.

Update: The 8F with the wagons that will be coming with the route
    LMS 8F 2.PNG

As for the coaches, they aren't being shown tonight, but they will be BR Mk1's.

Update: Now that the dust has settled, I have now posted my thoughts on the whole thing, it can found by clicking here or by just going to page 6 of this thread.

Update 07/04/2022: As we get closer to this route being release. I'm going to put down below everything that has been confirmed to be coming with this route, ranging from the locos, the wagons and the coaches, just to gather all the information on this route so far into one place. This list below will be updated if any new information comes through

Route Information
    • 36 Mile (58 km) mile route between Liverpool and Crewe
    Available Rolling Stock
    • LMS Jubilee Class Steam Locomotive in BR Late Brunswick Green livery
    • LMS Stanier 8F Class Steam Locomotive in weathered BR Late Unlined Black livery
    • Mk1 FK, TSO, BSO and BG Coaches in BR Maroon and Blood & Custard liveries
    • 16t Mineral Wagon
    • 5-plank Wagon
    • Conflat
    • Standard Van
    • 20t Brake Van

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 36
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Ace! As a scouser this will be a possible day one purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Excellent choice. Can't tune in today, so will rely on the forum for details. Thanks for the update WonterRail.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

There is more than 1 Loco for the route.
    "Jubilee" is first loco announced.
    An "8F" is the second Loco to be announced.
    Mike.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

But is it 45002 or 45000? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I notice someone's been putting the wrong code on these ;)

• Like Like x 3
  7. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Yay part of the WCML, any chance you can do 2 versions? One in the modern era :)

• Like Like x 9
  8. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

Awesome. Would be good if its added to another routes as a rail tour.

Any idea on release window?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

release is months away, it sounds to me like a possible summer release. Not playable yet at all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Excited for this. The loco's are looking great so far.

• Like Like x 2
  11. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Nice looking forward to trying it. Hopefully they'll do at least half of what was said on the streaming.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm looks pretty cool, but i just don't think i'll enjoy driving steam trains. Any chance of getting a diesel on this route at some point? Who am i kidding, I'll probably buy it just to railfan lol.

In any case i'm happy for the Steam fans out there. Ya'll have been waiting a long time for this!

• Like Like x 6
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Have to confess a slightly mixed reaction to this. The route is not one that was even on my radar. Quite short, though it depends how much of Liverpool they include - if it has the line that branched off at Edge Hill (I think) and ran around to the Dock station that would add more interest. Obviously lots of yards and freight terminals to include. The loco choice is good, but little scope for other than LMS/BR LMR DLC - the obvious contenders being a tank loco for shunting, maybe a Royal Scot, Black Five or a 42xxx Duchess.

The screen shots do look nice and I will doubtless end up buying it, but really quite disappointed it’s not the S&D or one of the other routes on my wishlist.

• Like Like x 6
  14. theorganist

A green class 40 wouldn't be out of place in 1958.

My only query is how will they represent local trains? Hopefully some suitable DLC won't be too long behind it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Incidentally this is my home route! I'm not overly interested in driving a steam train but I'll probably buy it just to drive over the Weaver viaduct & Dutton viaduct.

16. OldVern

I also wonder how they will manage “in and out” working at Lime Street in Timetable mode, given WCL did not account for late running and dropped the pilot loco on top of the buffers before your train arrived?

• Like Like x 1
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'm not a connoisseur in steam traction, but isn't the finish a bit too matte?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Clumsy Pacer

I've never seen a shiny steam loco that isn't preserved, or hasn't just come out of the paint shop.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Clumsy Pacer

I mean, yeah it does have a bit of a sheen to it but still.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it could do with a bit more shine, depends on how much weathering they're going for.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

the tea canister (?) above the firedoor gave Bossman Games away, it features in most of their DLC for TS20xx, often with what looks like a slice of pizza being heated beside it ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  21. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Not sure how to describe it, I don't mean it has to be shiny diecast toy, but it seems to catch the light in a strange way, maybe matte is not the right word, but it seems overly dark, as if it was under a shadow even if it is in broad daylight. It seems like it's made out of a plastic or composite material rather than metal. I also think the colour is a bit too uniform.

For a comparison it looks like a scale model before final touches, weathering, and a final coat of varnish. As if I painted it instead of someone that is actually skilled lol.

Maybe I'm just used to scale models and preserved examples, as I said I'm far from expert on this area.

• Like Like x 1
  22. theorganist

It will be interesting to see how they manage that, if they manage to do it well it could be a very immersive experience.

I think there is a lot of scope for DLC even if it won't be so varied as say the S&D. I think after a while it will need more variety large tank engine for locals, another express engine, a jinty or maybe an 08, a Fowler 4F or maybe a midland 3F. Some Stanier coaches too. Three mark 1's and a Jubilee on a local stopper will look odd!

Hopefully it will be a success and in the future we hopefully will see routes like the S&D and the Riviera.

• Like Like x 3
  23. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I bloody hope not! Going by previous years the summer release is 8 months away! No British route for another 8 months is a daunting prospect but possible I guess if they hit roadblocks in development.

• Like Like x 2
  24. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Theses two loco's will definitely bring some new life to WSR if there's any route that's been needing some steam train options it's that one.

• Like Like x 2
  25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Nice and for the diesel locomotives found in the year 1958 these will be layered from TVL NTP & West Cornwall Local only for 9th gen consoles. The next step for them is Germany however these will have two distinct flavours Deutsche Bundesbahn steam phase out 1974 mainline runs DB Baureihe 023 082 052 095 Main Spessart Bahn 1950s East Germany Deutsche Reichsbahn Steam operation went all the way to 1990 18 201 52.80 23.xx tank locomotives for DRA DCZ with Chemnitz renamed as Karl Marx Stadt.
    Liverpool Crewe DLC Steam locomotive 4MT Belle steam locomotive with Mk1s. If DTG wants GWML Steam 14xx Oliver 57xx Duck with Toad brakevan freight Autocoaches Dulcie Isabel passengers.

26. OldVern

Which is why I'll buy it even though I just feel a bit underwhelmed after all the waiting.

Looking quickly at my publications the route (minus any additional branch lines) is around 35 miles - 16 from Crewe to Weaver Jn and 19 thence into Lime Street. Gradient wise, a few stretches at 1 in 100 (1%) but nothing particularly challenging. Scenery wise going to be largely industrial grime; it's a fairly flat part of the world.

Liverpool Riverside was the branch I was thinking of earlier.
    http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_riverside/index.shtml
    It wouldn't take much to add it (most of the route is in tunnel) but would extend the scope nicely.

I also hope for this release they really manage to sort out the reverb. Coming out of Lime Street with a steamer you absolutely need to hear that sound bouncing off the deep cuttings and tunnels.

• Like Like x 2
  27. theorganist

None of the diesels currently in the game would be suitable for this route. Steam was still dominant, diesels were being tested with only a few being in normal service, apart from diesel shunters. DMU's were starting to make inroads on local and some cross country services.

The only possible suitable loco would be the class 40 from the NTP freight pack and that would have to be repainted in green without yellow ends.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  28. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

You are correct they confirmed this is not the "summer release" but it is months away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. theorganist

Yes, I hope the audio is spot on. It isn't the most scenic route but could be atmospheric if done well. There are some iconic places like the approach to Lime Street, Runcorn viaduct and Weaver Junction.

I hope any terrace houses modelled don't have plastic windows like some of the ones on period TS1 routes!

• Like Like x 1
  30. Clumsy Pacer

Tbh given they've said quite a while that basically all Paul Jackson (CEO of DTG) wants is Crewe in the 1950s, it's not that surprising they've gone for a route out of Crewe. It also wouldnt surprise me if it were a choice between Crewe - Manchester and Crewe - Liverpool.

• Like Like x 5
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me about this and for the Class 101 from NTP TVL will that also work as commuter services around Liverpool & Crewe alternating with 4MTs. For the US steam phase-out began in the 1930s all the way to the 1960s while in Germany West 1974 all the way to 1990 East Germany

• Like Like x 1
  32. Clumsy Pacer

And fitted with vacuum brakes, not dual brakes ;)

• Like Like x 1
  33. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Nobody said there were Diesel Layers.
    And nothing fits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have some mixed feelings about this. I’m very happy to have my home route in the game but would have much preferred it in any era other than steam. One good thing is that even though I’m not really into steam it won’t put me off buying it on release as I’ll be eager to learn how to handle the beasts just to have the pleasure of driving past my house. There’s no need to get my curtains the right colour now because I wasn’t even born in 1958, let alone living here!

• Like Like x 5
  35. theorganist

Class 101's weren't really common in the north west in the early days. Initial batches went to the North East, Scotland and the Derby and Birmingham area in particular. I think a few were allocated to Crewe South but I don't think they operated to Liverpool. Derby class 108's were just being introduced in 1958 and they were the dominant DMU in the Liverpool area in the late 50's and early 60's. Still a green 101 in original condition wouldn't look too out of place I guess, DTG haven't had a reason to include it with a route recently so it must be time!

Even when NTP is set in 1983 there were not mainly class 101's in the Manchester area, there would have been at the Leeds end.

• Like Like x 5
  36. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to have Crewe in there given there history. Talking of Diesels in 1958 wasn't the class 08 at Crewe? Also saw this,

[​IMG]
    Love to drive that one.

• Like Like x 2
  37. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

For those who didn’t watch stream……

The locos are work in progress, I believe they are still needing texturing
    They are investigating particle effects.
    Radial blur is being explored but may need to be turned off TBC

The pictures above take with a pinch of salt and lot more development

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  38. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

The origins of the 08 go way back to the 30's so a green 08 seen wouldn't be out of place at all in '58.

• Like Like x 4
  39. khalidaliishmail

khalidaliishmail Active Member

Very pleased with the route, especially as it's something new rather than a refresh of a TS1 route. As soon as they said Liverpool - Crewe 1958 the first thing that popped into my mind was the LMS Jubilee class, and that was the first loco revealed. Will definitely be getting this as soon as it comes out and will pretty much play only this route until more steam stuff comes out.

The locos revealed also confirm what was said earlier about the first release steam locomotives not being "big" or "major" stuff (such as Coronation class, Gresley A4, Merchant Navy etc.). The LMS Jubilee class and 8F are relatively intermediate sized tender engines, although out of the two, the Jubilee is the larger engine, having a slightly larger boiler than the 8F.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Isaac101

Isaac101 New Member

Guys I've made a video of Dovetail games announcing the liverpool crewe route and my reaction to it and the link to their channel in my description. Here it is

• Like Like x 1
  41. OldVern

I've just watched part of the stream (instead of playing Sherman) and have to say some of the initial views I posted above have been a bit humbled. This is going to be massive in terms of the amount of trackage included, when Matt and the other guy (Sam?) ran through the Google Earth and mapping overlays, my jaw was kind of dropping on the floor. Looks from those as if Riverside not included which is a shame, but given the complexity of the task to produce just the main lines can't say I'm surprised.

Reading between the lines of the chat, yes I think this is going to be a Q3 or even a Q4 release, possibly even Christmas. Lots of technical challenges to overcome and that's before addressing the complexities of steam operations with the current signalling AI. Give the chug (not steam) fest that Sherman currently is, I can see optimisation presenting particular issues especially when you factor in the particle effects and the more complex steam physics calculations. Good to see everyone so enthusiastic too, seemed genuine and not put on for the camera.

Now begins the long wait and hoping everything proceeds in a straightforward manner. Good luck, DTG!

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

JD was channeling his inner Steve Jobs.
    Lot’s of fantastic, incredible and can’t wait to get this into your hands….

Nice to see the background research displayed. Hope they do more of this in future.

• Like Like x 2
  43. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Glad to see progress, only so that thy can move onto other projects. Subway and underground routes are sorely lacking.

• Like Like x 1
  44. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Is anybody able to link in any real life videos from the time period what perhaps shows the trains in that area in that era ?

quite curious to see the kind of traffic and setting

45. OldVern

Not unless there's any archive footage. Affordable hand held video cameras were still some 35 years in the future at that point!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Really happy about this. I'd come round to the idea of a branch line but happy that it is LMS and 1958 and the route looks pretty interesting as well.
    I see that BMG's 8F and Jubilee are on discount this weekend for TS1. Very temped to get them just for fun.

47. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Ooo yeah. BMG helping with the sound and some other parts of the locos. AP helping with the sounds for the wagons and possibly Mk1 coaches nice.
    I have to admit, the idea of going into the signal boxes (which we won't be able to do) sounded brilliant. But, I'm not sure how much benefit we'd have got for it compared to the amount of effort they'd have needed to make it possible. Practically, most of the signals will need to be automatic anyway so we'd not have been able to do much in there.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I wonder if we will see both the Stanier and Fowler tender designs for the Jubilee

49. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I am glad to see people happy about the new route and trains, but I'm sorry to say that tuning into the Festival of Rail stream only left me with mild disappointment. We have two very similar locomotives, one of which is a port from TS (a trend that should not be happening) and another which is likely also a TS port. And they're both running on the least glamorous steam route DTG could have possibly picked. They could have picked the Riviera Line in The Fifties, a beautiful route that is the pure definition of the golden age of steam (and they can just use the TS models of all five locos if they insist), they could have picked a small but cute colliery route, they could have picked the South Eastern Mainline for us to run the Golden Arrow, but no - Liverpool to Crewe it is. Boring route, boring trains. Not a purchase for me at any point, likely even on sale. There is no emotional connection that makes me want it in any way.

• Like Like x 6
  50. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'll just watch the normal one without a strangers reaction thanks :cool:

• Like Like x 12