Portsmouth Direct Line Waterloo

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by DukeDudeston, Aug 5, 2018.

1. DukeDudeston

DukeDudeston New Member

I thought it would make sense posting the issue I am having with this game here rather than in one of the announcement threads.

This is regards to the new PDL, when trying to create scenarios where I require either a player train or AI train to go to London Waterloo on the slow up line from Wimbledon, There doesn't seem to be a way (by default) to route it on the slow up bridge that is there, this bridge is designed to allow the tracks to cross over without causing disruption on the main fast lines, to my knowledge all slow trains going into London use this over pass.

There is no default waypoint to allow this in the game, only way to do this is to create one for the scenario (or put it in the world permanently, however this will make publishing scenarios harder as no one else would be able to play it(?). Then the final issue is even when creating your own way point, you get an error about not being able to route the train due to incorrect track bi-direction.. which the only way I have managed to fix this is again by going into the world editor and changing the track properties.

I feel that this should be possible by default for all players, as I said, most if not all slow trains use this bridge.
    Below is quoted text from my original post:

2. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

It is possible to change track directionality for a scenario only, Matt has explained this in one of his video's.

3. DukeDudeston

DukeDudeston New Member

Matt? Urm.. yeah ok I will look for that one day. But will that fix the issue that when routed onto that line I get the error in the original screenshot?

Pathing failed, no valid route to destination.
    Possible causes:
    * Not enough bi-directional/electrified track for required reversing maneuver
    * Non zero speed prior to change of direction
    * Reversing disallowed but required to reach final destination

Now as I said when I just added in my own marker, this came up, I tried adding the marker in different locations each time the same message came up, I even tried reloading it all again in hopes it was just something that wasn't loading properly.

I went into the world editor, and highlighted the entire track block section, I then changed the setting from Up/Down to Both, and then the above error disappeared after I had done this, and now the train routes into London Waterloo as expected, there is no reversing required (why would there be), and I haven't had any problems since. But my concern is, that if this is what I had to do to make this work, will this "paste" into others games when I want to share the scenario or will they be expected to do the same thing..

Also its a key point on the up to London, and I would have thought it would have been added in by default, I only create routes for fun, I am not comfortable using the editor to change things, in fact I had to re-install the route because I somehow managed to add extra track in causing buffers to appear in random locations. I am sure one day I will delve into the wonders that are the world editor,

I am looking into this myself, I am going to send a copy of my scenario to my friend to see what happens, but it might be a few days before I get any feedback about it, I will look into that video again might take me a while, and will test again. However I still think this should have been a default way point within the route, but that might just be me.

4. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant Matt Peddlesden. DTG's Senior Producer for Train Simulator and TSW.

Matt has made quite a lot of tutorials which can be found on his website and a couple of them are about scenario making.
    You've already found out where to click, so you're almost there. You can also do this in a scenario editor, without having to touch the world itself.

In this video, Matt shows you how to do it (from approx. 1h12):

I agree with you, it would have been nice if it had been in the route but for whatever reason, it didn't make it. Could be an oversight, a misread track diagram, or 'artistic freedom' by DTG. After all, Train Simulator is an approximation of what driving trains is - DTG explicitly state that is not an exact replica of real life.

I don't think fixing this is high on DTG's priority list, as changing track properties on a route level could break a lot of scenarios (as trains are routed differently by the dispatcher) while it is something which can be fixed on a case by case basis.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'm going to be playing tonight and will find the existing scenario that uses the flyover and post back to this

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ok, it's the Hampton Court to Waterloo scenario in the PDLiW pack. That scenario routes over the flyover

• Like Like x 1
  7. DukeDudeston

DukeDudeston New Member

I have just seen that quick drive (literally have just loaded it up and thought I have a look) does also have this fly over, and that none-routing problem I had seemed to be a one off, when I tried a different time it didn't come up (unless its because what I have done regarding the track direction, if anyone else can confirm this?), so it is just as simple as creating a scenario marker if you wish to use it, still bit of a pain to go through all that. It must have been added in late in the development of the route for the scenarios to use, but oh well.

Oh and I have already found those videos, thanks anyway. very helpful for scenario making!

And yeah I am sure this isn't a massive issue for DTG, more me ranting than wanting them to fix, and to see if anyone knew of a way to fix this, seems a little bit of googling is always your friend. lol
    I would rather DTG make TS a little more stable with less random crashes than worry about a marker on a route.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018