Ts2022: Worth It For A “seasoned” Tsw Player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ashrimega, Jan 22, 2022.

1. ashrimega

ashrimega New Member

Hey everyone;

So, Steam is having their big Winter Sale, and TS2022 (along with its vast DLC’s) are on sale. I’ve been playing TSW2 for a really long time now and have invested a lot of hours in it, but I’m just flat out bored with the routes.

Is Train Simulator worth it to buy for someone like me? The many U.S. passenger routes it has is very tantalizing https://9apps.ooo/… I honestly don’t care TOO much about the graphics, as I prefer FSX over the new MSFS . My only concern is the difference between the two games, and Train Simulator’s HUD display.

Any wisdom from people who own TS, TSW, or both?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

As someone who came over to TS22 after playing TSW2020 and TSW2 on console I'd say it's definitely worth it.
    Yes, the HUD is different and the physics aren't represented as well as in TSW2 but it definitely is worth it.
    In 2021 alone I put more hours into TS21/22 than I did with TSW2 and I only started playing TS22 properly in March. I now have 187 DLCs from Steam and many more from 3rd parties like Armstrong Powerhouse (loco enhancements and packs), Just Trains (routes and locos) and other sites like Alan Thomson Sim (some routes and some scenarios).

The main thing to think about is that TS22 doesn't have timetables. Routes come with a few scenarios but more can be obtained through Steam workshop or other places like Alan Thomson Sim.

Graphics wise, it's ok if running a decent rig and graphics card and there are some programs/enhancements out there that can make it even better. Newer routes seem to be getting better graphics wise but this can be an issue sometimes.
    Being honest I actually prefer the TS22 HUD as it can be less intrusive than having a massive speedometer in the bottom of the screen.

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Starting out playing TS and found it enjoyable and haven't stopped playing it even with having TSW. Both offer a different and enjoyable experience in my mind. So to sum it up I would say yes it is worth the money, also with TS there is so much workshop content.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I'll put it this way, TSW is more like a game, and TS2022 is more like an actual simulator. If that makes sense. I much prefer TS2022, and I definitely recommend it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

For a tenner its surely worth a punt but you might be able to find Steam keys for older editions of TS on other sites for less- typically pocket-money prices. Installing through Steam still get you the most up-to-date version of the core program so no concerns about compatibility with newer DLC.

6. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

You know, a year or so ago I had to get something as a requirement and I do believe as part of the package there was a key for a previous version of TS (which of course will be updated to the latest).

At the time, I couldn’t give it away (along with duplicate kettles). Will see if I can find it.

TS is certainly worth a go. I think the increased possibilities makes it superior: supposedly better graphics alone isn’t enough.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Both offer "a to b" driving, although the scenarios in TS1 do seem to have more adverse signalling, but other than that they're both "sort of train simulators"

The huge amount of DLC and assets in TS1 does lend it more to a "sim hobbyist" than TSW does, so long as you don't want to stray too far from that A2B, and if you really want to get into it, learning how to use scenario editor (to make them actually work), use the installation tools and extraction tools you need to get the assets working properly (ensuring you have a good backup of your entire assets and scenarios folder so people updating things doesn't break your changes) and of course have about 12 logins to various websites to get those scenarios and assets in the first place...

So yeah, TSC is much more involved, and that's even before you get started on actually driving (let alone counting in driving steam which is a whole other kettle of fish)

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I dabbled with TSW2020 then TSW2 but I cannot get in to it as it has not been thought out properly as to what the driver does or does not do on the railway.
    If you like US locos and stock then I would start with the base package as you need the game itself
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_2022/
    That gives you a German route a UK route and a USA route from Washington to Baltimore for £9.99
    There is also the USA pack but it gives you an extra German route along with Hudson Line: New York – Croton-Harmon Route Add-On

Add-ons are easy - there are a lot of routes outside DTG and if you don't like the train in a scenario you just swap it.

Unlike TSW2 there is no walking around in the game - you can see inside and outside views.
    Also you don't get those annoying pop-ups and sounds telling you to do some thing or telling you you did it correctly
    First time I drove a HST in TSW2020 I knew the various switches in the cab I needed to change and I did but the game did not like it as I did it not in the order it wanted.

Another nice thing is TS20xx updates the software every year for free
    I wonder how long before TSW2 becomes TSW3 and you will be expected to buy the game again?

The last comment is you need a Computer and to check the minimum requirements for the game

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

TSW had about six core updates over 2021, including skybox, graphics, memory optimisation... All free and all cross platform
    I would imagine TSW3 would be if ever they moved to UE5 but they've already said they won't need to move to UE4.27 because the only real benefits are in cut scenes, which TSW2 doesn't use much of
    Also of note is the "preservation crew" which is a specific team of DTG engineers who update routes, locos etc to make sure that when something new is developed for a route, these get rolled out on the older routes
    In Train Sim the route that's released is often the route you get with no future updates at all (by DTG, others may and indeed do update if they're currently operating)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  10. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

You'll find that the routes for TS are much longer than the ones compared to TSW2. Also there is an abundance of content-available. However if you're wanting to run freeware routes you will need the required payware content for it to work. That's the other good thing about TS compared to TSW2, you can create your own routes.

Also be sure to check out Armstrong Powerhouse if you're into UK content - pick up the weather and track inhancement packs as well as whatever else.

Searchlight simulations is your go-to if you like US content. They have a small selection of sound and physics enhancements, some of which are now free.

And another good site I get some freeware enhancements from (some of which requires additional content) is from train sim community. Here's the link:
    https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/mods/c1-train-simulator/c77-enhancement-packs

As for German content I believe that train team Berlin, virtual railroads and train sim store offer a few enhancements which can be picked up rather cheaply.

If you're after scenarios then there's a heap on the steam workshop.

If you're after UK re skins then I highly recommend Vulcan Productions and DPSimulation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I play both TS20xx and TSW2. I enjoy both simulators and each of them have their strong points and weak points. In my opinion, they are designed for different audiences, but there is a point where one can enjoy both of them and what they have to offer. Overall, I am satisfied and enjoy running both simulators.

For TS20xx, even though the graphics are outdated for today's standards, and it seems to benefit more from single core processors, this simulator has so much to offer. There are so many add ons and mods available to further enhance the gameplay from the base sim. I do enjoy that for each route, there are a few scenarios of varying difficulties but one thing I really wish the dev team would fix is the instant speed limit drop on certain routes without any indication from the HUD, or in-cab signalling system. This issue causes a big decrease in your score which takes the fun out of operating on these specific routes. This makes operating some of the routes a challenge as you have to maintain a certain schedule while taking a guess where the instant speed drop occurs (e.g, NEC: New York-Philadelphia). I am not sure how to create routes in this simulator specifically but it is definitely a welcomed feature, something that TSW lacks. There are so many standard scenarios as well that are featured on the steam workshop that add lots more hours of gameplay to the sim after completing the career scenarios.

For TSW2, it does better in the graphics department and for the routes that are represented, the devs do a good job capturing a great level of detail. The only thing is, routes are shorter compared to their TS20xx counterpart. I don't know why the routes are shorter but it would be great if the routes developed would not just be a section of the prototypical route. The more recent routes like the TSW Rush hour routes, and Sherman Hill do a good job covering greater distances. I think this was after the devs found a more efficient route creation process which was first featured in the route, "
    LGV Méditerranée: Marseille – Avignon". Performance wise, smooth gameplay and fps vary between routes. Some routes have stutter/micro stutter or frames freezes for a split second as you are operating the train, but this may depend on the hardware of the PC the sim is running on. I don't really care too much about finding items like missing station boards and easter eggs throuhgout the routes. I mainly just like operating the train from point A to point B. I will say though, TSW2 is much more forgiving with it's scoring system when it comes to speeding and arriving late to stations. With TSW2, if this were to be performed, you would get great deductions in the score.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Just letting you know that if you don't want to deal with point decreases because of random speed changes, you can always switch off career scoring in the settings. I play without career scoring and I enjoy the game much more because it feels much less stressful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. It is definitely good to enjoy the scenario without worrying about the point deductions. I just tried a scenario on the Baltimore-Washington DC NEC route, and finished with a check mark instead of the star scoring system. With the option turned off, it reminds me of the standard scenarios as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

With a good sale, such as the Winter one, you could pick up TS for £10-15, which gives you 3-4 routes, so an affordable way to get a taste without buying anything else.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Or £9.99 in the current sale

16. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

It's definitively worth it imo, I went from TSW2020 to TS after picking it up on sale. Using enhancers is a must for me because I'm spoiled with games with pretty graphics. Both TSW2 and TS has their positives and negatives, personally I started playing TSW2 again just a couple of days ago, and I pretty much enjoy it.
    The greatest benefit of TS is that it's more open for modification, so often you can find unofficial bugfixes to fix bugs that developers never fix..which seems to be a thing with TS on the negative side.
    There is tons of content for TS, both paid and free, be aware that if you like it and want free routes these often uses a lot of assets from paid dlc, so be prepared to make educated choices about dlc purchases, for me it took about 100 dlc until I found it to be easier to use free content, this included buying older TS versions to get routes included in the game.
    A bit more work to get the game where you want it, but absolutely worth it.

17. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

I'd be careful about recommending Searchlight Simulations to a newbie TS2022 user. You need to be able to use some of the simpler editor functions to fully enable them and I don't always find them completely reliable in operation.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  18. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

A minute in Google lists keys for older editions going for less than a fiver.

19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well both have their good and bad points.
    I'm playing TSW2 at present but for the UK, the primary focus is fairly modern stuff though the classic diesels on North Trans Pennine and Tees Valley are quite good. Biggest problem TSW has, is that the routes are really quite short nothing to compare with the various WCML sections in TS. Even the just announced steam route is just Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street, barely 35 miles. TSW strong point is the timetable which offers a vast choice of operations across the entire day, together with some scripted scenarios and a journey mode which combines elements of both as an "experience". However that falls down somewhat as the save function in TSW is pretty much broken and it's a complete lottery whether resuming a game restores the network and signalling or even your objectives in a useable state. So ambitions of doing a full eight hour shift either staying with the same traction or train hopping, vanish in a puff of smoke.

TS has the advantage of a vast selection of routes, some are looking a bit dated now and of course steam traction has been in there from the getgo. The downside can be, many routes only have a tiny section of the timetable as scenarios (worst example recently being Glasgow North West) so unless you are prepared to create your own or find something suitable on the Workshop, can be a bit limited. However at least the save game algorithm works...

• Like Like x 2