[update] Tehachapi Pass Updated Brake, Ditchlights, Couplers And Sun Fix Reupload

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by torfmeister, Jan 22, 2022.

1. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Update Jun 29, 2022 - reuploaded new Global Tehachapi fix: includes correct couplers, brakes are fixed to properly release and not go into MinimalReduction after release (both BNSF&UP ES44's), Ditchlights can be toggled on the BNSF ES44 (though lamp texture appearing at a distance only cannot be fixed by me), UP ES44 has standard headout view and the Sun will be in the South at Noon casting correct shadows now!) - find it here https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...plers-and-sun-fix-reupload.51254/#post-501248

Update Apr 22, 2022 - file removed due to official patch from DTG (which does not work correctly) - if you installed it please remove it as it is not compatible anymore to the new script

Update Jan 23, 2022 - Added ES44AC Union Pacific
    (will overwrite yesterday's patch)

This patch restores brake functionality on DTG'S ES44AC BNSF and UP ES44AC used in Tehachapi Pass stock scenarios.

It also makes the Ditchlights switch work again so the beam can be toggled on/off (switch was of no function before), although the appearance of the lamps themselves is still glitched. Maybe I'll find the cause for that later.

Works with the US version which is now available worldwide.
    Might not work on the unbranded version (who needs that anymore anyway?)

Install with Railworks\Utilities.exe -> Package Manager

Changes:

-changed "MinimalReduction" to "HoldLapped" in entry "TrainBrake"
    -changed "Fwd_Headlight_03" to "DitchLight_R"
    -changed "Fwd_Headlight_04" to "DitchLight_L"

Jan 22, 2022
    torfmeister/Spikee1975

Thanks to Thor1969 from RWA forums for discovering the brake fix

EDIT Apr 22, 2022: Removed file because DTG released a patch, unfortunately not containg the ditchlights fix

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
  2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Well done torf, I wish I had the knowledge and skills to contribute such solutions too!

3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thanks, that behaviour started when playing Commodore Amiga games, messing with hex editors and unpacking tools. A game can fascinate me by its design, but I can only enjoy it fully when I understand how it works and know how to manipulate it.

When I started with TS in 2015, the first thing I was unhappy with was the cab cameras' positions/ freedom of view in some locos. I wanted to change them to my needs and that's how I got into TS editing.

Patch for Tehachapi's UP ES44 will be following...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2022
  4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

2022-01-23 12_54_20-Train Simulator (x64).png As my eyes start hurting from comparing blueprints, I give up on the lamp appearance issue. The UP ES44 does not have that problem, but I could not find the difference in the files.

5. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

I use a tool called winmerge after I serz the binaries. Open both files, one on the left and one on the right: the tool highlights the differences. Would that help with the blueprint comparison and save your eyes?

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Not really, because there's too many differences like the IDs for most entries which are irrelevant to me, it'll just show too many diffs. I'll give it a look though, thx

7. redotto#7139

redotto#7139 New Member

How do you download the fix?

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Just click on the attached zip in the first post.

9. redotto#7139

redotto#7139 New Member

Ive tried but I get a folder page. Is there anywhere else I can get it. Steam, Dovetail?

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Choose to save the file after clicking. Then open it with RailWorks\Utilities.exe

1.png

11. redotto#7139

redotto#7139 New Member

OK, Im still trying to find it.

12. redotto#7139

redotto#7139 New Member

I mean the railworks exc

13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Go to your Steam Library and right-click Train Simulator. Select Properties... then Local Files -> click Browse

Double Click "Utilties.exe". There, go to Package Manager. Press the "Refresh" button. Then select the downloaded patch to install.

11.png
    12.png
    13.png

14. bzegmag

bzegmag New Member

Hi, I have used this fix, but train brakes maximum power is still only 24%, no more. Status MinimalReduction was replaced for HoldLapped, but this is all.

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

That is all that is needed to fix the brakes.

Move the handle (keep the brake key pressed) until it gets stuck in the first notch at 23% - You get Initial Service (84 psi BP - 15 psi Cylinders)
    Release the key and press it again you can go to 61% which reduces brake pipe pressure to 65 psi - this is a Full Service.
    Release the key and press again you go into Suppression and finally Emergency.

This script simulating the Knorr CCB-II brake system is featured on many other locos, for example Sherman Hill's fine ES44AC.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2022
  16. bzegmag

bzegmag New Member

Thank you very much!

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

With the latest update to TS Classic, DTG has patched the ES44's brake script.

To avoid incompatibility issues, please uninstall my now obsolete fix.

18. bzegmag

bzegmag New Member

Hello,

I would like to report other brakes bug with ES44AC in Tehachapi pass. This loco everytime stop in the slope (1% or more), while breaks are completely relased (17% minimal reduction), so train should will go down, but dont. For example in scenario Light, Then Heavy and Monolith cement to west (workshop scenario). ES44DC doesn´t have this bug.

Thank you

Bzegmag

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thanks for your report, Bzegmag.

DTG Jamie
    Concerning the Tehachapi UP ES44AC and BNSF ES44DC again.

All you need to do is edit the Engine blueprints of those two locos and replace "MinimalReduction" with "HoldLapped" Identifiers in the TrainBrakeControl section (NOT the VirtualBrake). The Minimal Reduction (84psi) is already provided by the engine script via the VirtualBrake and conflicts with the "MinimalReduction" Railworks core function. Changing it the brake STAYS fully released, I just checked with the UP ES44AC that this fixes the ongoing issues.

There is no need to adjust the lua script - just the above and it works perfectly.

I will not upload my patch as I expect you to make it available officially.

Please pass this on to the team, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2022
  20. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Hi, The team are aware will update when I have news on a patch.

• Like Like x 1
  21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

See first post update message,

here is my all-in-one Tehachapi fix. If you've installed a previous one just click yes to overwrite.

DTG Jamie you have permission to distribute this as an official fix. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

Just noting not ignored (although as for the time of day - for the sun, I had a look and noticed, but also fixed the azimuth to be more accurate to the location - so had changed the local versions rather than the above I say meaning no offence of course :) )

PS - I noted you mentioned about the Blue mountains (it's not unrealistic ;) - I have seen that in real life )

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thanks for noticing Danny.

Yes the blue skies - it's a matter of preference, I just like them to appear a little paler through the distant fog with 20% less blue and 20% more green. But that's just my preference of course, so I only added the minus in your ToD azimuths leaving everything else as intended.

I have applied the AP Weather to most of my routes, having created modified versions to use for 30, 35 and 40 degrees North to cover North America. For the rest like Marias, Stevens, HiLine and the West Canadian routes the standard AP seasons do a good job.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2022
  24. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I did compare afterwards, although the important bit north / south fix is similar (but different angles due to the times), but the times are different now (based on sun rise / sunset times for Mojave :) )

25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'm actually using this fine link, https://gml.noaa.gov/grad/solcalc/

Of course it's a compromise, you have four season files representing 3 months each. But I stick to solstice and equinox for my ToDs.

And the fog colour is also due to specific weather selected, and RW_Cloudy has this 500 to 1600 m wall of fog around you, overriding the season defs.

I still prefer a good season file over 3D weather, which of course has other advantages too, it does all the calculations for you, only needing the scenario date and route coords, season definition only for texturing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2022