Does Anyone Else Find It Really Hard To Get Gold Medals On Gatwick Express Services?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by james64, Jan 24, 2022.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

So I've played a lot of services on London Commuter now, probably more than all other routes put together. And I have no issue getting golds on services where you drive a Southern 377. However I rarely manage to get a gold with GTX 387 services.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm easily running to time (there's plenty of slack in the timetable), I'm stopping very accurately at stations. The only thing I can think of is I'm maybe speeding a little too much- I sometimes creep over 90mph when coasting, however it's never for more than a second and never more than a 1mph over the limit. The thing is I drive the exact same way on Southern services, and it doesn't stop me getting golds there.

Is the scoring system just unusually punishing on these services? I'd love to know whether or not I'm the only person struggling.

2. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

You can see the respective bronze, silver and gold target scores for each service on the timetable screen. Compare the gold target score to your own score in order to figure out how much you need to improve.

You should earn 30 points for every speed check interval you stay under the speed limit, but 15 points for every speed check interval in which the speed limit is surpassed ever so slightly, even if it's just for a second. Then 500 points for stopping within two metres of the platform stop marker, and an additional 500 points for arriving no later than 30 seconds past the arrival time. Some points get detracted if you miss these targets, but the amount depends on how much. Sometimes there are "go via" markers scattered along a route which typically hand out 500 points per marker. This is how scoring usually works on TSW routes, but some routes have variations / bugs. I haven't driven any of the GX services, so I cannot say much beyond that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

No I just golded one service and I had an emergency brake application, TPWS application outside Victoria, and about 3 massive overspeeds but yeah I golded it. I was early if I recall as well.

Regards

Hentis

4. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Hello friend, I particularly have no problems getting gold medals in GX services, you must probably be exceeding the speed limit, be aware of the criteria that the above colleagues highlighted, try to run about 2-6 MPH below the speed limit speed, if you walk at the limit, you may receive less points.

5. tcmikaelsouza

Please correct me if I'm wrong, each distance covered score is every 250 Miles, or 400 meters right?

6. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

250 miles is 402336 metre's so no not 400 metres??

7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

In TSW2020 I can go 0.9.mph above the speed limit without penalty. On TSW2 I think it's 0.5mph above the speed limit. The action points in the top right will tell you of overspeed penalties. Be on time, stop accurately and no speeding should get you gold medals in most cases.

8. james64

I think it was just coasting ever so slightly above the limit that was tripping me up. I just replayed a scenario I had only gotten a silver on and focussed on coasting at 89mph instead of 90 like I usually do. I got a gold pretty comfortably.

I still find this stricter margin for error on these specific services a little odd. As I said, I have no issue with Southern services. Maybe because there are more station stops perhaps?

9. tcmikaelsouza

I believe that the most express services most of the score needed for gold comes from you being below the speed limit, so that in traditional services, with more stops, it is more scored for you to arrive on time and stop accurately, but everything is a sum of factors, I just made a comparison.

10. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

When is the rush hour passengers coming on the Brighton mainline we have been with you a very long time but come on

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s off topic for this thread and nobody can answer it because we don’t know. We’ll just have to wait.

12. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

are you speeding or late?

13. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I find it hilarious when i get a gold medal for emergency braking at every station.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

lol :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Not that I´m overly worried about medals, but this scoring system is puzzling me a bit as well. I guess it´s a contribution to the gaming factor of TSW2. You get points for honking the horn, using the wipers or switching on the train marker lights? I mean ..... really now? On the other hand, what are the penalties for sliding the wheels on accelaration or skidding through the station when braking too hard? Does a high score unlock some hidden content (a working PIS would be a nice-to-have)? Or do you get additional points for driving under PZB/LZB? Hmmm....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

You're confusing XP with AP - you get XP (Experience Points) for using functions for the first time (and is what levels you up) but AP (Action Points) are what individual scenarios are scored by, and are only awarded for staying under the speed limit, stopping on target and meeting the timetable.

It is TS Classis where you gain/lose points for wheel slip, locking the brakes, rough ride, emergency braking, whistle-boards etc

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a rookie on this sim. Thanks for the clarification! Soooo, afterall, there was no point for me honking like crazy on the many unsecured level crossings at DCZ, just to make sure nobody gets hurt. ;)

18. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

So far I've had no problems getting gold medals on LC/BML with the GX services on both PS4 version and PS5 version.
    I tend to stay at around 1-2mph under the speed limit so I can react to gradients.
    What catches me out is the quick succession of speed limit drops but I am learning the route. I play with next signal off and try not to look at the hud much.

As others have said, you don't get points for correct braking, throttle use, wipers or horn use.

19. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I’ve got 32 services completed with the 387, all with gold medals.

My advice is to stay 1-2 mph under the speed limits, also, there is plenty of spare time on these runs, so if you need to be on the brakes more often or earlier, you can do so.

20. james64

I'm starting to get golds no problem now too. Read above.

21. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

You'll probably find you're travelling over the speed limit more than you think! Since the 4.26 upgrade the goalposts have been moved and the slightest creep past the speed marker on the Speedo results in a travelling over the speed limit penalty without the Speedo changing to yellow!

22. james64

Yes, I've figured that out for myself now and am getting golds just fine. I didn't know it was to do with the upgrade to 4.26 though. I still don't understand why it was only these specific services I struggled with. Other express type services like on GWE and LGV I'm able to get just fine.

23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

IIRC, in Germany you're never, ever allowed to use the horn, unless there's an obstruction on the track.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Yeah, not so much for PREcaution in order to prevent ..........things obstructing the track. Sorry to all the hospital inmates I woke up.:D
    But now seriously: Somebody from DTG should fix these many unsecured level crossings. AFAIK, there´re none on this route.

25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member