PC Tharandter Rampe - Massive Fps-drops Around Tharandt (dusk, Dawn Only)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by joerg.lange, Jan 23, 2022.

1. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

EDIT: The reason for the problem is described in post #7

On the Tharandter ramp route there are excessive FPS drops in the area between Tharandt and Klingenberg-Colmnitz - even without modifications to the Engine.ini file.

Short briefing: we´re talking about a i9-9900k with GTX1080TI, all settings max, scale 130%, resolution: 3440x1440, TAA. Achievable FPS on the entire route between 40 and 50, tending more towards 50 - even at the Dresden station area!

The following scenarios illustrate my problem:

(1)
    Spawn in Klingenberg-Colmnitz, 15:40, January, overcast sky. Wait for the train from Chemnitz (arrival 15:42). If this train is a BR612, take it over. Shortly after Klingenberg-Colmnitz, in the left-hand bend down the ramp, it starts again. FPS drops to below 25 FPS over longer periods. This happens again and again until Tharandt (FPS changes between 40 or more and 25 or less - each for several kilometres).

(2)
    IRE1 3092 Dresden Hbf - Nuremberg Hbf, January, sky overcast, BR612

From KM 17.0 massive FPS drops over longer periods, down to 25 FPS or less, repeating over and over again, last occurrence in the long right curve before Klingenberg-Colmnitz, after that the problem disappeared.

The BR612 is still about 5 FPS worse than the BR143.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Known issue in that place

3. joerg.lange

Does this mean: "It's just the way it is" or "It's known and it's being worked on"?

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am afraid, the first answer is correct :)
    What I mean is you are not alone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it could be helpful, but it never dips below 40fps on Series X (which has similar FPS to what you describe on your system, always between 60 and 50, so it's a slight decrease) on your second scenario (IRE 1 3092/Overcast/January between km 17 and Klingenberg-Colmnitz). I guess new Nvidia drivers might have to do with it?

I'm sorry I can't tell you what setting are applied, as I don't have access to those on consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joerg.lange

Thank you very much FD1003

I have now at least been able to narrow down the cause. It's not the Nvidia driver after all, I did a rollback and it was the same result.

But...

It is the time of day. Whenever the sun is at a certain (flat) angle - i.e. dawn or dusk - the performance in the two areas I described (east of Klingenberg-Colmnitz and between Tharandt and Edle Krone [KM17]) drops by 15FPS or more. I suspect that these two small local areas are simply too densely populated with trees or that something is wrong with the LODs and if the lighting conditions then become too complex, the problem multiplies and kills the performance massively.

In other areas, there is also a slight drop in performance under complex lighting conditions, but this is never a problem; at worst, it might drop by 5 FPS, which is okay.

Important! Dusk/dawn is not a problem in general, only at the described places on the ramp.

Contrary to my initial assumptions, this has been the case since the track was released. I only didn't notice it in the first few days because I never drove at dusk.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I see, interesting, I noticed different performance in different lighting condintions as well before, but I never investigated further as it was always negligible in terms of performance on next gen.

Instead I remeber when I had the Xbox One I would use weather and time to gain a few FPS on the heavier routes.

8. joerg.lange

Yes, it has never bothered me before. As I said, overall on the track no problem - no matter what lighting condition. Only the described spots on the ramp show these extreme anomalies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

me test add foliage.LODDistanceScale=1 fps 6x

dusk, Dawn Only
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=3 fps 35

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. joerg.lange

Thank you! Is that everywhere on the route or at the spots around Tharandt only?

11. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

at the spots around Tharandt only

• Like Like x 1