Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 25/01/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jan 25, 2022.

1. ILied

ILied Active Member

Would it be possible to get someone from QA on stream to talk to us about it? Or at least have a pre-recorded interview if they prefer that.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Rockstar can take that approach because they deliver very high quality products and clearly take a lot of time on their creations. DTG don't.

Rockstar: Quality over Quantity; DTG: Quantity over Quality

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

SOS is not just a standard DLC and is going to take a lot of Dev time up to get right, if that means we have a few quiet months with fewer than normal releases, then I can accept that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

the order of releases seem to be US, Germany, UK. So yes that means no UK route announcement until CLP has released

• Like Like x 2
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It is at this time of year, late Jan- early Feb, that DTG brass sit down and decide what the next year's projects will be. I expect those meetings for 2022-23 content are not yet complete and DTG themselves don't know what they'll be doing once they have finished up last year's projects with Harlem and Liverpool.

• Like Like x 2
  6. redrev1917

Totally disagree on both points here, DTG latest releases have been nothing but high quality. No software is released bug free whether thats Rockstar, MS or DTG.

• Like Like x 6
  7. ILied

ILied Active Member

DTG aren’t as well going to repeat the mistakes made with Rush Hour last year where we were given the scope before it was finalised and the community complained when they “took bits away”. I prefer this approach as we know the country it’s from but this gives us enough to get excited about while they finalise the route itself and locos (Rivet in this case). It’s not simple to build a realistic route for us, so I prefer to be kept in the dark for longer and then have 99% accurate information, rather than everything at once and then hearing complaints about certain things being removed.

• Like Like x 7
  8. speedbird6780

speedbird6780 Member

How quick will these routes go through QA? As SKA update has been announced as "in testing", that means ten preservation crew routes are in testing or awaiting testing. Ever considered having a separate QA team just for preservation? As preserved updates take ages to get through testing.

• Like Like x 4
  9. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

What’s the difference between upgrade and update in the preservation crew section? (Or is it just using interchangeable terms).

if there is a difference can it be explained?

If not on future roadmaps could the terminology be consistent.

I know it sounds pedantic and I’d be the first to do the same thing myself (mix terms) which is why I spotted it, but it would remove some ambiguity.

• Like Like x 3
  10. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

You really think regular crashes, zombie passengers, safety systems not working correctly, sunlight shining through solid objects etc is high quality? I am yet to find anything on the same level in a Rockstar title, only very minor bugs.

• Like Like x 6
  11. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

Interchangeable terms probably, it wouldn't make sense to have upgrades and another upgrade soon after

12. ILied

ILied Active Member

Question for the stream: With increasingly busier timetables on recent releases, is it going to become the norm to see busier timetables implemented on Preservation Crew routes as they are given a pass by the team?

13. ILied

ILied Active Member

DTG are trying to increase the size of the QA team but I think that’s a question for DTG management rather than for us to ask, as another logical step would be to have teams dedicated to a platform (if it hasn’t been done already).

14. redrev1917

Ive had no crashes on any route post RH, I do however know that GTA triology was so bad they had to reinstate the delisted original titles and give them for free to customers who had purchased the Triology package. But sure these are just minor bugs....

• Like Like x 3
  15. solicitr

Rockstar: with a production budget and number of people involved on par with the biggest Hollywood blockbusters.
    If DTG released a route that 6400 people had worked on for eight years at a cost of half a billion dollars, yes, I would expect bugs to be held to a minimum.

• Like Like x 11
  16. ILied

ILied Active Member

Is GTA UE4 as well?

17. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

they use RAGE

it’s their own (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine)

• Like Like x 2
  18. solicitr

I do have to wonder about the current practice of using the same QA people for the whole span of DTG games, trains, fishing, everything. Would it not be better to have a dedicated (and knowledgeable) "Trains" QA team who just do TS and TS2?

• Like Like x 6
  19. solicitr

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

20. ILied

ILied Active Member

Then it’s not really a fair comparison as DTG also has to deal with the quirks of UE4, which aren’t always obvious. Some issues we’ve seen have a root cause at the platform level or engine level, both are outside of DTG’s control. All DTG can do is try to improve ihe situation but it’s not always easy

• Like Like x 2
  21. ILied

ILied Active Member

People are making comparisons between the game’s and if the underlying engine is the same then they’re justified but as they’re not, then it’s not justified. That’s despite the investment Rockstar has put into their games. Not saying DTG haven’t either but it’s not on the same scale from the figures you quoted!

• Like Like x 2
  22. redrev1917

Given that DTG latest fishing games use Unreal Engine 4 and TS doesnt and all the other differences between TS & TSW theres probably more cross with Bassmaster then there is with TS from a testing point of view.

• Like Like x 1
  23. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

good news, PZB bug is already fixed just needs to be released... same with lot of other fixes, they are just waiting to release is which is not great at all...

• Like Like x 1
  24. solicitr

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rockstar, not quantity????????

GTAV is the best-selling entertainment product, in any medium, in the history of mankind. They sell more copies over lunch than DTG has since it was founded.

• Like Like x 1
  25. solicitr

Fair point.

26. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Matt said in a previous stream there was another UK route coming before the harlem line,strange it hasn't been listed yet.

27. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Totally disagree -

• Like Like x 2
  28. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I am talking about using the screenshot as the cover of the roadmap article, basically where you are seeing the bakerloo line red tube train. At least they could have done that, they have many more photos, not just one to use. I mean it will get us hype up for how the train at least going to look like

29. solicitr

They have just released screenshots of the Liverpool-Crewe locos. As for Harlem: if those trains are even screenshot-ready yet, they're just the same M7 and M3 we already have. Not much excitement there.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ILied

ILied Active Member

They will not do that. It’s probable there isn’t anything to get a working screenshot of. Anyway, those are reserved for articles where we hear all about the route with some fanfare,

• Like Like x 1
  31. ILied

ILied Active Member

And they were done specially for the announcement as well!

32. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

This roadmap format is really confusing. It used to be good and useful, then it became just useful... and now it just kinda is.

At the moment the most interesting things are steam and the two TSG locos. And one of them isn't even on the roadmap!

• Like Like x 1
  33. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see Rivet are making another Swiss route - despite some issues, I really liked Arosa (my first Rivet product so far). I see it as a good thing that Skyhook are (being made) to take their time with Horseshoe as well.

Though, I still think it's silly the roadmap pretends the Ludmilla doesn't "exist" for the time being to conform to the new roadmap policy. It's a little too late to try to put that one back in the bag.

34. solicitr

Of course, it';s also possible that WRT Horseshoe Curve DTG are being just a little disingenuous: marketing strategy might be involved as well. We just got Sherman Hill quite recently, and (at a guess) its sales figures weren't great, given that it was just discounted 75% at the recent sale (unprecedented for a brand-new route). So DTG might simply want to keep their US-heavy-freight powder dry, at least until after they've appeased the US commuter-rail geeks with Harlem.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  35. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

To you maybe, nothing on the roadmap other than in the pres crew is interesting as I have no interest in steam at all, and don't do anything outside the UK so german trains hold no interest either

Agree the format is less a "roadmap" and more "a list of things being developed or worked on by people who might be DTG or might not"
    A roadmap usually denotes something linear (or at least where the line is now) that helps people understand what's upcoming or being worked on
    Unfortunately as we know even if something's worked on doesn't mean it's going to be released because DTG prioritise the new release over everything else...
    Personally I have no issues with the "vague nature" of the information provided. It may be that they know the origin point of the route but not the end point(s) and better to have some vague info rather than something which may be retracted later

• Like Like x 2
  36. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’m interested in the new Swiss route but with Rivet’s record so far, it won’t be a day one purchase. I’ll see what it’s like first.

More importantly, why the huge emphasis on preservation crew updates? PLEASE, fix the core problems first i.e. game crashes, (London Commuter, Dresden), inability to complete scenarios etc, then, and only then, concentrate on the niceties that are preservation crew updates.

• Like Like x 2
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It has. It’s Liverpool to Crewe in 1958 with some steam trains.

• Like Like x 3
  38. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

nope. The steam route is that route, and the order has been changed.

• Like Like x 1
  39. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

This is a huge problem, and it really shouldn’t be. It’s because we have this attitude that we accept this and buy the product anyway. Good job by the marketing guys I suppose.

For example, I have MS Outlook on my Ipad, which has been out for more years than I care to remember yet not a week goes by without a bug fix update.

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Which should be an object lesson. You've paid for broken faulty utterly rubbish software for years, but because you get granular updates you're happy...

41. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I can't usually make head nor tail of what is going on in the road maps but i understood this one more and it felt more worth reading rather than a lot of something that I could not understand.

42. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

London Commuter (as much as I love it) still crashes with alarming frequency for me. Not to mention Victoria during rush hour is frames away from being a PowerPoint presentation, even on PS5.

I just want to know when an update to the signalling/ safety system issues on Boston Sprinter will come. I want to get stuck into this route so bad, but whenever I'm beginning to have fun the system demands I slow down to 30 for literally no reason whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2
  43. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Brilliant, so DTG are starting to clear the bottleneck? Could you say how many preserved route updates have been released so far by Adam's team? Or when they will be released? Perhaps you can say if Preserved route updates/fixes have to take a back seat when making new DLC?

• Like Like x 3
  44. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Damn, don‘t you all have other things to do than whining around?
    New Roadmap, new Route announced.
    Reactions?
    Uh, why not a route from xyz
    Uh, I have problems here
    Uh, this is not what I want
    Uh, that doesn’t go fast enough
    Uh, Rivet
    Uh, Dovetail
    Uh, no fix here or there
    Uh, fix things that are not your issues
    If you are all that unsatisfied, then do other things in your life but please stop complaining about everything in every single thread

• Like Like x 8
  45. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

That sounds like something we heard half a year ago, and before that even, and since then nothing has happened, on the contrary, the number of fixes that are released has gone down. I hope actions will finally follow, that is the only thing that counts in the end, we've heard all those empty words before and have been patient so far.

• Like Like x 10
  46. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

OK then. Next time DTG release buggy unplayable content and refuse to update it in the next year, we'll just shut up and accept it.

• Like Like x 3
  47. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Is anyone still experiencing lag and FPS Drop when doing the London Brighton Line, cause I still am? Is this something that the preservation crew team are looking into? Who else is experiencing drop of FPS and MS?

• Like Like x 3
  48. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think it is odd too. When it was announced SOS was the next British route I imagined it would be March/April time. If SOS releases in September for example, I can't imagine there won't be another British route before hand.

• Like Like x 5
  49. redrev1917

I have moments of frame drops but its definately improved for me since release, and framedrops are the exception rather than the norm

• Like Like x 1
  50. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

But honestly it looks like there is always a top priority to new products being tested and the fixes/upgrades take a back seat.

At least that how it seems to most of the community see it. How many new releases have come out and why have preservation crew items have been waiting for tests for 6 months to be tested.

I think it definitely needs to have less parity between the 2 it makes the company look greedy. For every 2 or 3 new DLC there should be 1 updated route from the preservation crew. Or else they are just digging themselves into a hole and will never be able to update the newer routes released in 2021. Which I might add we are still waiting for updates for routes release 2 years ago still. That have been supposedly done and are awaiting QC.

The QC backup has been used as an excuse for over 8 months now and nothing has changed still.

Explain to me how this makes any sense whatsoever.

• Like Like x 8