Port Jervis Line - Nj Transit And Metro North

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mevans193, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    For this suggestion we will be taking a look at a very scenic joint commuter operation in the U.S. states of New York and New Jersey. The Port Jervis Line is an 87 mile (140 km) long commuter line running from Port Jervis in the Hudson Valley region of New York, south to Hoboken NJ, a city just outside on New York City.
    Port Jervis Line.jpg

The northern portion of this line is mostly single track in the mountains featuring many small villages with older stations, and even runs through a tunnel and over a tall steel trestle. The scenic highlight of this line is the Moodna Viaduct, the longest and tallest steel trestle on the line, spanning 3,200 ft, and standing at 193 ft tall, over farm fields and a river.

DJI_0012.jpg

The southern portion of this line is mostly double track and mostly runs through suburban and urban areas, and even a large marshland between Kingsland and Secaucus. The line terminates at Hoboken Terminal, a historic rail and ferry terminal built in 1907 serving diesel and local commuter trains in the NJ/NYC area.

showimage.jpg

The operation of this line is a joint effort between Metro North and New Jersey Transit Commuter railroads. In the state of New York trains are operated by a Metro North crew, and in New Jersey a NJT crew takes over. This operation allows a diverse mix of power and rolling stock on the line as both railroads share equipment on this line. As a result some trains are have MN locomotives while others have NJT locomotives. The coaches are always a mix of MN and NJT stock. As for freight, while freight does operate on the line, there isn't much at all. Norfolk Southern operates 2 daily trains on the line, and the New York Susquehanna and Western has a single daily train between Port Jervis and the branch for their mainline near Campbell Hall.

Motive Power:
    Anything and everything diesel powered from these operators can show up on this line, but some common locomotives are:

Metro North GP40FH-2M
    Metro North F40PH-3C
    NJ Transit PL42AC
    NJ Transit GP40PH-2B

Rolling stock is usually Alstom Comet V commuter cars in either MN or NJT livery.

PZYBBDPEP5CVLMLYWSOXH7GUNA.jpg

Blue_Bullet.jpg

Thank you for taking a look and considering this scenic and unique commuter line. Have a great day!

• Like Like x 12
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you want to add more layers and make Hoboken terminal busy my route suggestion the Raritan Valley Line can add ALP-45DP GP40 CRRNJ paint double-decker coaches to this route.

3. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I think the Raritan valley line would definitely be a good fit for TSW 2 is New Jersey transit line in the queue for TSW 2 in the future?

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

I agree and for layers freight horseshoe curve Sand Patch Sherman Hill & Cane Creek Passenger Boston-Providence and LIRR including my suggestion the Babylon branch

5. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

Does the proposal include the Bergen County Line (and maybe the Meadowlands Line (and I know I'm pushing it here, the Pascack Valley Line)) as well?

6. Mevans193

My suggestion is just for the Port Jervis line. The longest route in the game right now is 73 miles and mostly open grasslands. This route would require 87 miles of forest and urban scenery which would really push things to the limit. The Bergen County Line would be nice but would take things to 99 miles, something not achievable. But if one day such a length is achievable, it would be nice to have aswell since the lines parallel and join up with each other.

• Like Like x 1
  7. driverwoods#1787

Sherman Hill 76mi 121km this is 140 km 85-87 mi 159km 99 mi with Bergen County Line. If DTG want to surpass this they have 2 options LGV CLR Catalonia Languedoc Rousslion Perpignan-Barcelona 110mi 180 km and 2nd option is HDA Hollandstrecke Duisburg-Oberhausen-Arnhem Amsterdam via Utrecht 200km 125mi

8. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

I have already done this on Trainsimulator 2021. The exact same line and distance. This at 99 miles is double the usual Trainsim World offering. Scenery is dense to Suffern then its all forests and small villages/ towns after that. I don't see DTG going wide enough, let alone detailing it enough in a way that wouldn't really hurt performance. On the other hand, operationally, this is prime for the commuter work that DTG likes to do. So, for that reason, this is a great route suggestion for TSW.

And Mevans193, how could you not know of my route?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  9. Mevans193

I haven’t played TS before (TSW is my first DTG simulator) so I wasn’t aware that this had been done before. Looking at screenshots it looks very well recreated. Well done! Very cool to see Moodna Viaduct in a simulator, I’ve railfanned there many times.

10. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

Mevans that makes sense. I have to say both your enthusiasm and knowledge matches mine for the Bergen and Port Jervis lines. Your justifications read like my own thoughts. I hope the powers that be consider your proposal in the near future. Carry on!

• Like Like x 1