Ts2022 - In The Shadow Of Shasta

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jan 26, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Ho oh, this looks to be a fine looking Cascade route Milepost have made. Can not wait.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

DTG Jamie What the heck is going on with the nose lettering on the SD9e? That is WAY too tall.

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Honestly feel very conflicted about this, been waiting for this route for awhile, as well as for an Espee Cadillac, but the paint looks very meh on it.
    SP 4438 (EMD SD9E GS RF Bakersfield, CA 7-78).jpeg

However glad to see the SD40T-2 get a makeover, as it looks significantly better than Donner Pass, not to mention the inclusion of both SP and SSW rolling stock (Even if they are reused Kuju junk) Only complaint there is the lack of SPs Golden Pig trailers on the 89ft flat car....
    0c1659787d104a7051afa65d7da1ede0.jpg

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Route looks great cannot wait to add to my collection anything Milepost does always turns out awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. buzz4567

buzz4567 Active Member

Looks like a early buy for me. I love these mountain routes and Milepost stuff is always first rate.

7. buzz4567

buzz4567 Active Member

Grumble grumble. So learn how to make these.

8. Blacknred81

Geez, I can't have any constructive criticism can I?

• Like Like x 2
  9. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

There is no reason for an attitude like that. The guy was simply comparing the Cadillac to the real thing and saying it looked incorrect. I don't think people would get THAT offended by criticism.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Michael Newbury

He was only merely pointing out a small discrepancy compare to the real thing. There is no need for a response like yours.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Mmhhh, again freight route//
    In US actually many, many passenger routes! Why you not give us they?(

12. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Amtrak operate the Coast Starlight on this route.

13. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

It's the route that matters, stock can be easily swapped/repainted, "SP" reduced in size etc. Buzz is right, learn how to.. There are enough U tube/tutorials about and this is the great thing in TS20xx - The Editor!

• Like Like x 1
  14. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Why should we be the ones fixing the mistakes? We're paying for this after all. I expect a product of a certain standard

• Like Like x 1
  15. hayward.john48

Yes, it should be right but but I wouldn't shoot down a route for a minor issue and life is too short to get worked up over something easily fixed. I'm pleased to see an SD9 in the game from DTG although at a guess it is a Great Northerner production (and he usually gets things right).

If you want perfection you'll wait a long time, it doesn't hurt to ask for it.

16. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

None of us are asking for perfection, and none of us are getting worked up about it. The route itself looks decent and i'm not letting the fact that the locomotives look strange ruin that. There's a difference between something being of an acceptable quality and perfection.

P.S It's a milepost route :)

17. hayward.john48

I know it's a Milepost Route but the locomotives and stock may not be.

18. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Oh you meant the SD9? nah it's definitely the DTG one

19. Gary Dolzall

Gary Dolzall Well-Known Member

Or perhaps, simply calm down given the images are "WIP" and almost assuredly Milepost will address any key fixes required.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DrTrenchcoat

DrTrenchcoat Well-Known Member

While I hope Milepost does actually update the textures, past experience with Milepost routes makes me doubtful.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. hayward.john48

Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  22. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

23. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Another freight route… yet again.

24. Blacknred81

I do love the route maps that Milepost put out however....
    FB_IMG_1643229887139.jpg

Attached Files:

25. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

I'm not sure how you got the idea I was mad about this. I'm pretty chill about it, Jonathan has said he's going to fix the issues with the Cadillac anyway, but if they hadn't been pointed out then it likely would have remained that way until release.

26. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Good news, you can run the amtrak coast starlight on this route.

27. Gary Dolzall

I know my post appeared below yours, but was meant in general, not as response to yours. No inference intended, sorry.

• Like Like x 3
  28. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Nah it's alright, it's easy to misinterpret stuff. :)

29. Blacknred81

Per Facebook, seems like they did take advice and did fix the SD9, so they should look better on release.
    Screenshot_20220126-143331_Facebook.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

I for one am glad to see another Western NA route. The terrain always keeps things interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  31. rare_common_sense

Even so. It’s probably just an afterthought. I’d get to my usual rant
    about DTG not really caring much to do with American content. But clearly neither do American-based 3rd party devs.
    I understand freight is big here and the age-old licensing argument. But, there's gotta be a balance somewhere. Sure, there's TSW, which isn't really doing it for me. But with the amount of stuff that could fill in gaps within TS, that they seem to put into TSW instead, is frustrating to me, to say the least.

It's no wonder I've gravitated to UK content, despite having no personal real-life experience with any of it.

32. Gary Dolzall

I'll not try to speak for DTG, but your comment about third-party developers "not caring" I will certainly address. Yes, freight operations in the U. S. is highly dominate and has been for decades, thus there are many wonderful route and content opportunities associated with it. And there is also much enthusiast interest in such, as the popularity and favorable sales of many of the TS U. S. freight routes attest. You seem to overlook that any number of recent routes offer significant passenger operations (DTG's DC-Baltimore route and Hudson Line, VNH's Hi-Line, and Mileposts' Arizona Divide just for example) and that developers such as DTM have created complete train sets of the likes of the PRR Broadway Limited and NYNH&H passenger equipment. Sorry if our collective offerings do not exactly match your own personal preferences. but third-party developers devote thousands of hours to creating quality products and we most certainly do care a great deal.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  33. hayward.john48

I for one, am grateful for the efforts of third party developers; they make the game what it is. FWIW I am UK based and I prefer US freight operations, I only wish the UK had a fraction of the percentage of US freight handled by rail. Amtrak bores the pants off me but I understand that "Varnish" is remembered with great affection by US citizens although ironically they lost it by not using it.

34. rare_common_sense

Actually, I haven't overlooked anything. Even what you have pointed out. Has come far and few or introduced with only freight ops in mind. Like... DC, more than a year ago. Hudson, almost 3yrs, If we're talking about routes where Pax ops are either the main or sole focus but do host freight. Hi-Line, which I just purchased, by the way, and the AZ divide, are routes where freight is the focus, and pax ops are just an afterthought or not even the focus at all. The first two I mentioned in this reply, and have been out for some time, especially the Hudson, and have yet to receive a loco DLC...

Don’t let my comment give you the impression I’m unaware of what is out there. And I said “not caring much” meaning there isn’t nearly enough focus on the variety of routes and stock offered.
    Have we received other variations of passenger rolling stock for the Hudson or since it’s release?! Nope. Still waiting on M3 (which of course like other much needed stuff for TS1, ended up in TSW), the older coaches, like older shoreliner and comet coaches. Or even a cab car for the Amfleet which came for the pointless NEC route in TSW2020.. that would have been far useful even on the incredibly aged TS1 NEC NY to Philly route.

So with respect. Thank you for your contributions to the community.. But, My point pretty much still stands.

35. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Well no, it's not really an afterthought when it's common knowledge that a lot of passenger service in the USA takes place over freight trackage

36. rare_common_sense

Yes, but its hardly mentioned, nor advertised through these announcements.

Also, my argument is mainly of pax/commuter stuff. I’m not going to get a lot of enjoyment out of something that mainly single tracked and in mountainous regions where you only see very little action along the way.

I’m a city guy, and I like to see a decent amount of action. That is just what I gravitate to more. I have very little experience with freight and really isn’t something I’m exposed to, so naturally for a person like myself. Don’t really care all that much for it. But I do understand it’s importance.

But chances are, folks who are into and constantly showered with freight content are not really going to understand fully (or at all) the frustration, myself and other like-minded individuals have.

There’s routes like the Keystone, that hosts both Amtrak and commuter, freight. Routes out of Chicago that hosts Amtrak, Commuter, and freight. And few others. Just a couple of examples. That I’m not really seeing being given much focus on.

37. Blacknred81

I mean, if you were expecting a commuter route from Milepost games, you set your expectations way too high, pretty much all of their routes they have done to date are all primarly freight routes, or freight with the 2 daily Amtrak trains (Like Raton Pass). Only exception was Clear Creek, but that is a US narrow gauge steam route (Which is something else that Is severely neglected in TS).
    Though it looks like Milepost may be making a 2nd one looking at their next route preview.
    soonnew.jpg

And outside of the New Haven Springfield Line and the Sacramento Northern routes (Both which are historic) the only modern commuter line that was done by a 3rd party developer was Chicago Raceteack.

So unfortunately your only bet for a new commuter line is most likely from DTG alone.

38. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Fair enough, we all have our own tastes. Would be nice to see the Toronto - Montreal corridor one day. Oh well, we can dream

• Like Like x 1
  39. rare_common_sense

It’s not a matter of setting expectations high. And it’s not just milepost, there are other devs out there who primarily are freight focused.

As mentioned in an earlier response. I’m quite aware of who has done what and when it was done. My argument is simply wishing there was more of a balance between the type of content offered.

If this were reversed, where passenger/commuter based content kept getting released the way freight has, I’m sure there would be similar sentiments expressed from those who favored it more.

40. rare_common_sense

I would totally be excited for that. Canada has yet to see any passenger ops represented in TS. And we’ve got what, about 2 or 3 freight routes based on it.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Michael Newbury

And of the three Canadian routes only two of which would be able to do Passenger service that being Yellowhead Pass and Canadian Mountain Passes.

42. rare_common_sense

And no passenger equipment to use it on.

43. Blacknred81

Wonder if DTG ever tried for a VIA license, though a CN era Passenger train would be interesting as well.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Michael Newbury

Which is just a little disappointing.

45. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

Actually if someone were to model the Rocky Mountaineer... I think they offer a Vancouver to Jasper (Yellowhead) and Vancouver to Banff/Lake Louise (Canadian Mountain Passes). Also, I think there are passenger sets on RWA for the ARR. Of course none of these are commuter, so I understand the thoughts.

46. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Could've sworn I head they did at one point but Via declined their proposal, but take my answer with a grain of salt.

47. Blacknred81

Not surprising, but the route is releasing on the 3rd.
    Screenshot_20220201-084624_Facebook.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  48. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

The P42 used to include an unbranded VIA livery

49. Blacknred81

A new preview image from Facebook, showing the SD9Es have been edited, with the rear number boards removed (As prototypical)

FB_IMG_1643820583044.jpg
    4302_sp-sd09e-bob_dengler.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  50. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

So is this worth getting at £14.99?

The route itself seems to garner good reviews on Steam but less so the bundled motive power which is being referred to as old Kuju or Railworks era stuff. Does that mean we are back to hopelessly inaccurate physics, hauling 8000 tonnes up 2% grades throttling back to Notch 3. The other negative, coming from TSW, is the handful of scenarios as opposed to an all day timetable. And where is Amtrak? DTG must have the licence as they are included on other routes both TS and TSW.

• Like Like x 1