Should I Buy Cathcart Circle

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bob123, Jan 28, 2022.

1. bob123

bob123 Member

should i buy it?

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty good. It's quite a small route, but the stations around the Circle are tightly packed so you're kept busy and you do get to push the speed up along the bottom section. The train's quite fun, and the UFO is a fun touch too. I'd wait for a sale, but I would for any route!

• Like Like x 2
  3. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

I conducted a review of it on my channel (which is tiny and has bad microphone audio). I thought it was a decent (if overpriced considering there's only one train included) DLC.

The route seems to be done well, appearance-wise. Highlight for me is the Class 314, which features a great model and sounds by Armstrong Powerhouse (that were actually sorted out, looking at you, Rivet Games with West Cornwall Local).

There's not too much to do other than use the 314, since it's the only loco included. There's one or two services for things like the 37 and 47 (I believe). That's what it was like when I bought and reviewed it, anyway. Whether they added or will add more is another story. Likely they won't.

Price is usually £24.99, so it's a bit much for a 17-mile long route and one train. I'd get it on sale if you still want it.

I apologise for the video quality. I'm no expert with reviewing simulators. Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bob123

bob123 Member

or should i buy the tgv

5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I think it's a good route, I can recommend it. It feels a bit empty, with only one train, but it's not bad. The scenery is pretty good, only issue with it is the night lighting, but in daytime it's very good.

6. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

TGV is a similar-ish situation. You get the TGV and the route and that is all. However, on LGV, you can't use anything other than the TGV. So don't expect to use any other locos unless you want to break out scenario planner.

It's a very long route (above 40 miles, I think? don't know exactly). And the TGV does seem like a well-done train.
    Price is £24.99 for one train and a long route to use it on.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If you like urban commuter, Cathcart is great. Very well done in all regards (except the night lighting, which is abysmal).

LGV if you like to go very fast in a straight line and not do much else. Also, the landscaping is marginal.

8. flirt745

flirt745 Active Member

Cathcart Circle is a good route to have. As well as the services going around the Cathcart Circle you also get the branch line services to and from Newton and Neilston. Despite having just 1 train the scenery isn't bad at all. Good if you like driving suburban services.

LGV Med is good for high speed driving with the TGV and other trains using scenario planner.

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

1 train is standard nowadays, the other train included being an old release. It's definely not a problem of this DLC, it's safe to assume the next Scottish route will probabily feature the Class 314 + 1 new train. In terms on trains this DLC has no less content than any other (except the very first DLCs which actually had two trains), and for that I do not think it is overpriced.

The lenght is not great but it's a "very dense" route, with a lot of scenery going on, which I'm sure took a lot of work to do, also everything is well done and there are no major drawbacks, maybe apart the signalling in some places.

bob123
    I can recommend both LGV and Cathcart, what to buy is up to you, those routes are almost polar opposites, a long but scarsely populated HS line vs a very dense but slow urban line. I'd say that you get more for the money with Cathcart (there is more service variety, with trains going through the loop, and to the two branches), and the start/stop gameplay is more engaging than cruising at high speed.

On the other hand LGV is an awesome high speed route, the TGV is a marvel, probabily one of the most immersive trains in TSW, the sounds, the visuals, the accuracy of the systems really makes it special, I'd say as good as a TSG release.

The route itself is awesome near Marseille, which is one of my favourite urban scenes in the game, but it gets lamer and more generic after Aix-en-Provence towards Avignon.

My tip would be to try some of the ICE services on Koln-Aachen, if you enjoy those you will probabily enjoy LGV, instead if you enjoy something more like the Bakerloo line go for Cathcart, both are good IMO.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  10. bob123

bob123 Member

i think cathcart might be what i want then thank you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're both well done, but Cathcart is definitely more varied and interesting than the high speed, point-to-point LGV.

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you like stopping frequently get Cathcart.
    If you like going really fast get LGV Med.
    They both do what they do really well, apart from the station lighting in parts on Cathcart. Not a problem if you drive in the daytime.

13. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

No, unless you like it.

14. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Possibly watch if it was a dishonest review. The routes ok (first couple times but then it’s a 25mph snooze with minimal traffic). There are better uk routes with more happening.

15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Good but not at full price. Wait for a sale.

16. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Cathcart's one of the better UK routes. Variety in service, a great loco and accurate scenery. The only place let down is Glasgow Central - which needs loads of stock - however other than that it's good.

• Like Like x 1