Poll On Whether Dynamic Weather From Tsw1 Should Come To Tsw2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix, Jan 29, 2022.

1. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I just went back to TSW, and realize that their weather setting is really good almost close to the real world, and was wondering what do you guys think about them taking the dynamic weather setting is TSW to TSW2. Should they also improve the weather system that is currently in TSW and tweak it to be better in TSW2? Let me

2. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I sometimes think that these polls (similar to the recent route merge ones) are equivalent to "Do you like nice stuff? Should DTG add more nice stuff and work out how to solve the problems preventing them from being added?".

But yeah, would be nice :)

edit: Having said that, I'm more interested in weather than in route merges or multiplayer. I don't think multiplayer is that vital (I've tried it on run8 and it works okay there but I don't think that TSW2 really needs it personally).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Would be nice to have, like a lot of things, but there are other issues in TSW2 which have a MUCH higher priority.

Given that 8th-gen consoles can't reliably run recent routes at all, and Sherman Hill challenges even the latest and greatest high-powered PCs (and barely runs on older ones), I don't think DTG need to be adding complexity and processing demands just yet.

• Like Like x 3
  4. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

True, they have to fix the biggest problem first, but do you think about the weather in the first TSW1 game compare to this one?

5. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Dynamic weather is an essential gameplay element of any simulator so imo there shouldnt even be a discussion over priority because its just essential.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

Any simulator? Like Cubicle Sim World?

Dynamic weather is the very opposite of "essential." It's decorative. It's chrome. It's fluff. Its priority should be down with or below crossing gates and platform climbup, and way, way below fixing broken signaling and safety systems, or horrible/missing in-cab sound.

• Like Like x 5
  7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

In a perfect world Id love dynamic weather, but the thought of driving a loco with broken safety features and watching the rain turn to sun, knowing that devs hads opted to spend time creating this then fixing the broken PZB?

As solicitr states this is right down at the bottom of the pile when it comes to list of things Id like to see in TSW, just above multiplayer.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I disagree. Dynamic weather may not be essential and its absence is certainly not game breaking, but it would unquestionably add to the immersion and quality of game play for me and, I suspect, many others. I don't see why we have to choose between new features and bug fixing. DTG have shown that they can do both concurrently. In fact, if the game is to progress, they must do both.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

There was a dynamic weather setting in TSW2020?

News to me.

• Like Like x 3
  10. solicitr

It would be one thing if there were no weather variation at all, if everything ran under clear June skies. But that's not the case: we can get just about any state of cloud cover, precipitation, sunlight and ground conditions we want. So it doesn't change from "light rain" to "drizzle" over the course of a half-hour drive... that isn't really a big deal.

11. redrev1917

It's a choice because we've got updates for 17 routes in the queue for testing.

Until this backlog is cleared everything is a choice between bug fixes and updates or new features.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I reckon this little polls are good for the forum, they maybe not totally representative but give DTG little snapshots of what people like.

As for the dynamic weathering, I'm with redrev as there are 17 routes for testing but in principal yeah, it would be great to add immersion, especially the longer routes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crosstie

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. redrev1917

Don't get me wrong I'm not opposed to new features even with a backlog. But that new feature had better blow my mind away, and this doesn't.

15. doublefine7

Then I would really like to hear what a "mind-blowing" feature would be.

• Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  17. doublefine7

To me personally (and I am really sorry to at least 9 3/4 of the railfan community) steam is not a feature, it is part of railroading. Diesel or Electric isnt a feature too, its an essential part of the railroad history. Dont get me wrong here. I am really looking forward to steam but to me Steam is part of the core railroading. Dynamic weather on the other hand is part of the world around us. In general dynamic stuff in a game makes it more vibrant and immersive, bringing the whole world to life same as AI traffic, be it on roads or on the track.

A mind-blowing feature for me would be random events, a fully flexible dispatcher. Or multiplayer although I personally dont need that since I am more the singleplayer person.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The weather system in TSW is identical to how it is in TSW2 (ie fixed weather presets with occasional dynamic weather scripted into scenarios). I'm confused by this thread

• Like Like x 2
  19. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Not Really as you can see in TSW 2 we only have 5 setting Clear, Light Cloud, Light Rain, Rain Storm, and Fog, That is about it, While In TSW there is more setting

20. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

That's not dynamic weather, those are weather presets.
    (Generally speaking) You can achieve the same effect as these presets by putting the sliders in the correct parameters. The only thing unique about it is the fog preset, which isn't on a slider.

By selecting these presets, the weather remains the same throughout the length of your play session. There was never dynamic weather in TSW1 / TSW2020, it was only on certain scenarios on Sand Patch Grade.

Furthermore, these presets used to be linked to a specific season. And while that's great and all, the new UI ever since TSW 2's Rush Hour has allowed for more granular control to the player, allowing us to choose a specific month and other options. While the UI isn't that pretty, I do appreciate the quality-of-life additions it does offer.

• Like Like x 3
  21. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Ok, then how do you set these weather to produce those weather presets, because with this new Interface it's very hard to do. Were you able to do it?

22. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Yes it's possible, the only difficulty is that there's an UI bug that doesn't highlight the sliders properly. But if you know which ones to select, you can put them in specific places and achieve the same weather as shown in the presets.

In fact, you can see the sliders changing when you select Light Clouds or Light Rain, for example, and the specific sliders that it changes.
    They're just there to make the process a lot faster if you just want to jump in and drive. :)

23. solicitr

It's of course a lot easier if you use the diorama mod that restores the old outdoor setting, so you can actually see the weather you're getting.

• Like Like x 3
  24. redrev1917

Well heres a starter for 3.

A reactive AI dispatcher whos going to shove my late slow moving frieght service into a siding to make way for fast express to pass, randomised events that I need to react to making every run have the potential to be different. (I dont want every run to have a randomised event because that wouldnt be releastic).

Steam Locos with a realistic driving experince.

More audio and radio chatter in general. Especially important on US railroads. I want to hear dispatch giving me track warrants and giving me information about what to expect. I want to hear axle counters and I want to hear hot box monitors.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I didn't understand it either, as the weather system is exactly the same in TSW2 as it was in TSW. Looks like OP is just confused about the menu UI, lol...

26. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

That and not understanding what Dynamic Weather actually is. Skymutt explained it well....when the weather pattern does not change within the course of a service it is not dynamic. Both TSW & TSW2 has never had it and I agree that we need it in one day...but what was in TSW1 was in no way dynamic weather, it just displayed the settings differently

27. MatsH

MatsH Active Member

Dynamic weather is a nice thing, but since the routes are quite short and most services run for 45 to 75 min (at least the ones I usually do) the weather wouldn't change that much over a run. I would rather have two more sliders to the current setup page:
    • A slider to set the amount of fog
    • A slider to set the base temperature
    By setting the base temperature the game can still change that up or down depending on time of day, altitude and so on, which I think it does today. But that way we can get a chance to run with rain in january or snow in november.

Regarding fog there is only one preset today, and it would be nice to be able to tone that down a bit to just a distant haze sometimes.

And speaking about weather, I would of course like to have the option to define weather in Scenario Planner :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  28. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Don't forget to add a sun dial as well.

29. dhekelian

Releasing 17 updates/fixes to the preserved routes that have already been done would do for starters.

30. Clumsy Pacer

Yes, updates are very much a gameplay feature.................

31. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If they made it that rain, snow, ice etc were more than "blurs on the windscreen" then it could really impact on gameplay. Changes in railhead moisture IRL do affect train physics, including how much power can be laid down, and how much wheelslip can affect braking, so IF (big if) DTG allowed the weather to be dynamic, and affect railhead friction the player would have to adjust their playstyle so as to not slide straight through stations or wheelslip when applying power

32. Crosstie

Having to make driving adjustments on the fly because of sudden changes in the weather would be so immersive. Especially on routes where you're basically just moving the combined throttle and brake back and forth while reading a magazine. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  33. solicitr

TSW already models railhead friction in different conditions. This is the primary effect of the "wetness" slider, its visual impact is minimal but its effect on wheelship profound. The difference between dry and wet, in a 185 with a decently heavy freight, is the difference between being able to use max throttle and being held to below 75% power. And then there is the infamous Clinchfield journey service in the snow, at .6 mph......

• Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

I would also observe that the weather just isn't likely to change very much over the course of a typical 30-minute service. What would to my mind be more interesting would be changing conditions due to altitude in mountain routes.

35. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

On the class 101 I watched Matt pull away in notch 4 and when I tried it, notch 4 was far too much. Then I noticed it was raining.

Regarding the weather changing dramatically within the time of a scenario or timetable, that may not happen that often in real life. It is possible though and can be fun/interesting in a simulator. iirc Rex weather for MSFS has an option to do something similar, where you can select a weather scenario where it starts off with one type of weather and changes halfway to another one.

36. dhekelian

As Solicitr said it won't make much difference over short journeys but if DTG ever did really long journeys it might be fun.

37. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Sometimes I like to do maybe 2, 4 och 6 runs between A and B in row, like Brighton-Seaford-Brighton or Hamburg-Bad Oldesloe-Hamburg. The dynamic weather feature would be very welcome as weather can change a lot throughout the day. Adding some "unexpected" factor to the game.

38. Clumsy Pacer

Also there's at least 1 freight service in RRO that's impossible in the rain - at least in the 185 (apparently 155 manages it)

• Like Like x 1
  39. Crosstie

You haven't lived in the Midwest!! :D:D

• Like Like x 3
  40. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

It’s the same as TSW, there is no difference.

41. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What I meant was if you started in the dry, grip would be fine, then later you come into some light drizzle, railhead deteriorates, then it rains heavily and railhead is fine again, then back to dry railhead still fine

Not sure that nuance is there

42. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Varied weather means more challenges for the driver and more gameplay.
    What's not to like?
    Deciding where it lies in the priority list of fixes and patches is another question.

• Like Like x 2
  43. solicitr

I think it is. If you start off with, say, the snow accumulation at zero but precipitation level high (in subzero temps), the snow will build up over time, visually, and I suspect adhesion will be affected to matcch.

• Like Like x 1