Snow (and Dust) Trails Behind Trains

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Mar 19, 2021.

?
  1. Very

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Not very important, but I'd still like it

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  3. Not, this wouldn't improve my experience at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'd like to suggest adding snow and dust trails behind trains to the game. I don't know what the technical limitations of the game are, but I think this graphical effect would be a nice thing to see, in for example this years' "Big Update".
    [​IMG]
    The image above illustrates the effect I'm suggesting. Trains, especially at speed, leave a large trail of powdery snow flying in the air behind them. The same happens in very arid climates, with a lot of dust, and during or just after rainfall, though these effects are less visible then snow trails.

I've gathered some videos to illustrate the effect better.

Video one shows the effect in snow really well, and the massive wave of air.

The second video shows of some snow action too, but at lower speeds.

Video three shows ICEs in the rain, at high speed. The effect is hard to see when the trains are passing near the camera, but very visible in the distance.

The last video shows a TGV kicking up a lot of dust during its record run. The quality of the footage is not that bad, but you should be able to see the effect. (Most prominently at 1.33)

I think this effect would add to the rainy, snowy and cold, or dusty atmospheres of different climates and types of weather greatly. Let me know your thoughts.

• Like Like x 14
  2. HotdogDay#5435

HotdogDay#5435 New Member

Bumping this thread since I just had the same idea. Would the development of particle effects for steam would make the implementation of trains kicking up snow and rain feasible? I enjoy playing in poor weather and having a trail or spray of kicked up snow and rain behind the trains would really add to the immersion.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 6