What's The Next Big Thing Tsw2 Offers Up

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Jan 22, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I do think the random weather or live weather is a good shout. I sometimes just see journey mode as a way to save moving the rain or snow slider to full.

Dynamic events which I think redrev1917 suggested would be good too. I think the dynamic element is missing. Appreciate that means some serious despatcher work I guess. One thing I quite like with Flight Sim is the introduction of POI markers. I think this would be good too, I think learning more about the route as you go through it would be good. For example when shunting, perhaps there's a marker on the floor I can walk to which gives me the history of a station or area in vid or text form. I appreciate there's not much ROI on these though as once you've seen it you've seen it. UNLESS, they became a new collectible

• Like Like x 4
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

What is it with everyones obession with multiply player? For steam I get the idea of 2 players (one fireman one driver) but for electrics, diesels and railcars/DMU what exactly does the 2nd player do?

• Like Like x 4
  3. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i think you are getting the wrong idea. They are talking about multiplayer, which means to play together in the same route, basically, you get to drive the train with your friends and other players around the world, and have fun.

• Like Like x 2
  4. redrev1917

You can only drive 1 train each and pass each other once and you only need 1 guy (or gal) to LOVE about and crash the timetable and that "fun" is no more. Sorry I really dont see the attraction or the value of it considering how much work would be required.

• Like Like x 13
  5. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Nothing I'd like more. Perhaps you can have a word with DTG and ask them why they still haven't released the fixes and upgrades to the preserved routes?

I share your view although he might be talking about co-op. I think Multiplayer will be abused, look at those flight sim videos with people causing chaos. I'd like to see a guard on the older Trains and you could get buzzed after the all clear.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Complain with your wallet!
    Not with forum posts.
    Not with change.org petitions.
    Not with hopium addiction.
    With your $$$.

Don't buy anything from them until they fix what they've already made.

• Like Like x 3
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

As Matt has explained, more than once, the current Dispatcher simply cannot cope with random events. Hell, right now it can barely (if that) keep up with a scripted timetable. It would have to become vastly smarter to deal with re-pathing on the fly- the equivalent of a fish suddenly attaining dolphin-level intelligence.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dhekelian

I do exactly that. I haven't touch the game in months. I did pick up the 313 for £2.99 but that is all. There are some people that have abandoned TSW2 and gone back to TS1. Maybe more people will do the same I'm not sure.

I disagree with 'Not with forum posts'. How else do you get the word out? Forums are not just for people with brown noses.

• Like Like x 2
  9. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Multiplayer seems to be misunderstood. In flight sims the real value of multiplayer is the inclusion of real-time weather injection and extensions to allow enthusiasts to act as air traffic control, following ATC directions, as in real life, in real time and with other aircraft interacting with the same ATC. In TSW2 the only equivalent would be train control/despatch, not interaction with other drivers/trains and without major improvements to the Despatcher this will not happen. Also, those situations in flight sim are possible because the more open systems in the sims allow 3rd party extensions and plugins, something we are unlikely to see in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

What happend with hardware (throttle) devices support? It's rather silent on that topic.

• Like Like x 2
  11. zachary.parks

zachary.parks New Member

For me, the most valuable feature would be AI horn/whistle additions. Horns for crossings, direction changes, air brake release. This will make the game world much more lively, and exciting. Currently, we are lacking so much of what makes a railroad (Not just the individual train) exciting.

• Like Like x 3
  12. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

This !
    Far more than multiplayer a more lively world with ai horning like hell when you attend at a station and they pass you at high speed :)

13. redrev1917

So say we all do that? Budgets would have to be slashed, staff laid off. As Sam, Matt & Adam have all said, the preservation team and the SM dont make money and would be the first to see cuts if the company needed to reduce its wage bill due to drop in revenue.

Your mantre of not buying anything until they fix what theyve already made would result in no further developement of any description. Sounds like a lose lose to me.

• Like Like x 5
  14. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Really? wow that is crazy, i didn't remember hearing TrainSim-Matt saying this?

• Like Like x 1
  15. chacal#2181

Well preservation team is investment. They dont do direct sales but make me/us buy old routes or not. They are pretty important IMO for new players.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

They are important for us as players since we tend to like fixes and improvements. The preserved crew's effect on sales is minimal if at all present, I'd wager.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chacal#2181

Direct sales, but thats makes opinion about company better and so on.

simulations tend to be long term hobbies, people are OK for spend time and invest some money in something they belive in, something that has a future.

If DTG would say us, OK guys, we release routes but take them as they are, they will be no improvments or port to New version of the game i would never had buy those older routes...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think now the tilting mechanic has been established and our first Steam route on the horizon, I can foresee these 2 in particular getting alot of focus for future content.

19. chieflongshin

I couldn't agree more. If the older routes are not as good then when new players come along and say "Can anyone recommend a route".... on here or Facebook etc people will only tell you what to avoid. Whereas if they are all good, people will recommend and it will generate more revenue you'd like to think of of Adam's team efforts.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. zzw1983

That's called BUSINESS.
    BUSINESS is competitive.
    "We had better buy substandard product or else they will go out of business" is not BUSINESS.
    If a company fails to deliver, they go out of business.
    And another will come and fill the void.
    It seems like there's a great deal of you on here who think Train Simulators are an essential service.
    I promise you, you will live if they stop making add-ons.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  21. zzw1983

The 3rd party devs literally said so much to customer's faces.
    "we are not fixing s**t"

• Like Like x 4
  22. solicitr

You have a very romanticized view of business. Generally the winners are not the ones who make the best products, but the ones who do the best job of convincing customers to buy their stuff even if it's crap.

Why do you think Microsoft is worth more than a small nation's GDP?

• Like Like x 3
  23. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

• Monorail
    • Maglev
    • Anthropomorphised Locomotives

• Like Like x 1
  24. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good choices and for a monorail DTG should do the Wuppertal Monorail system parts are in RRO.

25. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

As long as Ringo Starr does the voiceovers for route introduction, training and scenarios! Did you want to also add a rotund, grumpy railway manager? :D

• Like Like x 5
  26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

After spending a bit of time in the new version of Run 8 the last couple of evenings, I would push for joined up routes instead of little jigsaw pieces as a priority. Nothing quite like jumping in an Intermodal at Seligman and knowing you can drive for 400 miles or thereabouts to Bakersfield or LA. The save game works (unlike TSW) and now R8 has “Otto” you don’t need to do the despatching either. Very relaxing.

• Like Like x 3
  27. gogglesguy

I thought we already had enough of those here on the discussion forums :P

• Like Like x 1
  28. redrev1917

If we are having a monorail please make it either Brockway, Ogdenville, or North Haverbrook.

• Like Like x 4
  29. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

if it's monorails I want these two:- :)
    FilmThunderbirds66b.jpg Monotrain_.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  30. dhekelian

31. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Run8 is another kettle of fish compared to TSW or TSClassic - it simulates a railway not a route - graphical it is back in MSTS days and more representative of Zusi 3. Very little hand-holding is provided to learn the systems and the control layout for key assignment is a doosey. V3 final has an automatic dispatcher so you do not have to do both dispatching and running your consist. There are nothing like scenarios or tutorials. While they have expanded from the Southwest US and have the CSX A-line Florida/Georgia and CSX Selkirk yard and Mowhawk sub in New York. I doubt they would ever be doing anything other than US routes and most of those are extension to the existing rail networks all ready represented.

Run8 is really more of a railway operations simulations where you can drive trains. I have just started to scratch the surface of Run8 - the learning curve is very steep but from watching YouTube videos it can be extremely realistic. Many other more accomplished Run8 users would better be able to provide insight sine I am still learning tons even with my 9 months in the simulation.

• Like Like x 3
  32. OldVern

Strange thing is though, it's actually easier to set the locos up in Run 8 using the quick start box, as the MU and Cut Out wotsits we have to faff about with in TSW aren't featured. There have been a few graphical improvements in V.3 but nothing remarkable, though the new weather effects are quite good. The main appeal as I mentioned above is once you buy all the route sections, it's over 400 miles from Seligman to Bakersfield or LA and if you buy the last add on from Bakersfield to Fresno probably over 500 miles of continuous railroad.

The save game actually works although you still have to restart from a standstill and now in addition call up and re-engage Otto to handle the despatching. He actually seems to be doing a fair job and might even be a little dynamic, unlike the fixed paths you follow in TSW. gameplay is what you make of it. If you want scenarios where your tasks are proscribed and can only be done in the set order, then TSW will provide. If you want a bit more freedom to indulge whatever aspect of US railroading fascinates you - run an intermodal, operate a local and do some switching the world is yours to play with.

I can see me jumping around between both games depending on what particular challenge I want, well with the exception of Sherman which was a complete waste of money until they fix the optimisation.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

These are defiantly the best monorails ever :)

• Like Like x 2
  34. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

I'm unsure about monorails. I hear those things are awfully loud.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

There's also a chance the track could bend

• Like Like x 3
  36. gogglesguy

Don't worry, DTG will be doing the sounds

• Like Like x 5
  37. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

It will be difficult to have tutorials narrated by Leonard Nimoy.

anyway, i'd like to have new developments and features to make the experience more imersive. AI beeing able to play horns in key events or even handle high and low headlights would be something. random events and dinamic/real life weather (msfs like) would also be very nice features.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  38. zzw1983

*"Real life, offline, extra-echo-chamber view of business."
    Likewise, you have a very subjective view of business. Windows has a 70% market share. "Crap" does not have market dominance regardless of yours or my opinion.*

*music industry notwithstanding.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  39. chieflongshin

I'm with you here. I can’t get my head round this vs vr. With multiplayer you get someone go for their dinner, block the route and you have what’s effectively the same as a game breaking bug. With Vr you have something that’s not going to get developed because console user base doesn’t support it (technology wise).

In multiplayer what you can you realistically do. Blow a whistle, stand on platform or some other short term task which would probably be more under-utilised

• Like Like x 3
  40. dhekelian

To be fair Windows isn't far of being 'crap' compare to other operating systems out there, It is only successful as it is because most people use it whether by choice or not.

• Like Like x 2
  41. solicitr

Microsoft achieved market dominance originally with DOS, then Windows 3.1, then Win 95. All three were crap (I know- I was an A+-certified tech back then). Windows NT was somewhat better, and NT was the basis for later Windows versions beginning with 2000.

Unix was better, old MacOS was better, the Unix-derived later MacOS was better. Why did M$ achieve market dominance? Because Bill Gates, using family connections, was able to pass off purloined CP/M as his own and sell it to IBM as the exclusive OS for the PC. Nothing about product quality, everything about clever, hardball commercial strategy.

• Like Like x 3
  42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

If Multiplayer does come, they should give us the option to be able to create our own room where we won't have the problem of interfering with other players, since we create that room ourselves.

They can also give us the option to play with other people around the world. Basically you have the right to choose.

That's how Multiplayer works in the game and other games that have this function, But before that, the most important thing they need to do is be able to have a dispatcher, that actually works. Basically, you as the player can choose to be a dispatcher or a train operator for that run or session.

43. zzw1983

Again, that is subjective. You can't sell "crap" that costs as much as Windows does to 70% of desktop/laptop users. It is just as easy to install Linux/BSD or buy a Mac instead. And I say that as someone who only uses Windows for gaming.

44. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I'm another one who only uses windows for gaming.
    There are more of us out here than you think.

• Like Like x 1
  45. dhekelian

That is why in my message I put the word crap in speech marks. I use windows myself but it has flaws, others do as well of course but not to the extent to windows imo.

• Like Like x 1
  46. solicitr

So you would concede that Microsoft was not the best, but achieved market dominance all the same. Another example, from bygone days (thank God)- British Leyland, which produced over 80% of the cars sold in Britain.

• Like Like x 1
  47. zzw1983

Personally, I believe, out of all operating systems out there, that Windows is the worst of them all. Especially in terms of security. Free/Open BSD destroys them all. But not all their market share are people who are willing to put the work in to configure a system, or hipsters who see electronics as status symbols. But I am quite satisfied with Windows 11, as I was with 7, ME and 95. You make a good point though. I just don't think one has to settle for a Windows system if they don't want to because of the ease of installing Linux or a BSD on the same machine. Some people don't bother because they are satisfied with the OS as it is.

48. dhekelian

Linux for me is a brilliant system and has many, many guises but for me it doesn't have the game support. It is getting better though and I always look in their direction especially how ms has snubbed some windows 10 users that have perfectly capable machines that can run win 11 like mine that can pass all the health checks bar the CPU one. My CPU came out the same year as the 8th gen and it will now cost me lots of lolly as I will have to get new CPU, mobo, mem ETC.

I don't really want a mac, not really an apple fan. So really Windows is the only option. I heard win 11 has got a few problems, is this sorted now?

49. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It has been a quiet week in TSW2 eh? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  50. OldVern

Well actually it has gone a bit like that...
    They tantalised us with Spirit Of Steam but nothing further has emerged.
    The various sales have now finished so everything is pretty much back to full price.
    Run 8 V3 came out this week so I expect quite a few of us have been checking that out.
    So the TSW2 forum ends up a bit like the second half of an England soccer match, with the score at 0-0 just passing the ball around in their own half without going for goal.

• Like Like x 2