Ts22 - Tunnel Motors And Tonnage

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Feb 3, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I'm sure the American freight enthusiast appreciate the marathon of content they've been receiving...

Must be nice.

3. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Personally I have zero interest in US passenger services and even less in passenger heavy urban routes e.g. New York area emus, however I do not complain when they are released (and there are a number) as I welcome DTG and third party developers releasing ANY new US/North American material. It is a fact that most US simmers (and modellers for that matter) prefer freight routes and businesses tend to try and develop what sells.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rare_common_sense

Cool Story..
    I wouldn't complain about freight stuff either if they were released seemingly one 1 out of 7-9 times passenger routes were given.

The only difference is many of the passenger routes are supplied with freight or does host it in some manner. Of course freight is gonna sell, if that is what is seemingly given more than anything... But that doesn't mean alienating those who actually like passenger stuff... There's no real balance at all, here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

There is a balance: the U.S. hauls so much freight and so little passenger that our current proportion of freight to passenger routes is actually pretty close to the real deal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rare_common_sense

Because... America really. Not much mystery behind it. NIMBY's, Lobbyist, Politicians... basically those who fail to understand the importance and benefits of which Passenger rail service would bring...

But I also realize I'm going back and forth with those who are only mostly or only exposed to, and obviously care only for this type of operations.

So there's that...

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

But as I do like US freight hauling, I'm off now playing and thankfully Milepost continue developing such great content.

Just started Westbound Winter Manifest, what a well made SD40T-2. Good light/sound occlusion in the cab, cablight is nice and diffuse (no harsh shadow casting), the thing feels good. Had to move the cab cam a bit forward and up.

Brake script is working fine.

Overall first impression is very good. I'm off now heading to the distant mountains!

2022-02-03 17_51_24-Train Simulator (x64).png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Cannot wait to try this route tonight.

10. hayward.john48

Loading it now.

11. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Damn I'm broke now..

12. hayward.john48

So am I now!

13. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Join the club same here

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Bah. I'm still spending more money on smokes than on TS :(

Where's Trevor when you need him?!?
    vn2Jr5.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, its been 8 years since the only official Southern Pacific route was released (Donner Pass). Got to say, it was worth the wait, Milepost did a good job with the route overall. a few small issues here and there, and a few personal preferences that could of been changed. But this is a great route.

• Like Like x 2
  16. hayward.john48

An excellent route. It's climbing all the way from Dunsmuir to Grass Lake (just short of halfway point) and with the free roam load on it's not easy with the twists and turns. Then a short plateau before a plunge to the valley and farmland, some speedy straight and mostly level running towards the Oregon border and the only tunnels (2 short ones) on the route. Scenery is as you would expect from Milepost and the area. Intermediate pick up opportunities are not many being mostly in wild country, the lumber industry being the main source but an interesting route with extension possibilities e.g. BN Bieber line and SPs Siskiyou line. I'm surprised that SD40-2Ts are used on this line even if on the non-modelled sections to the North and South have many tunnels they are all short. I would have thought the Tunnel Motors would have been used elsewhere on the SP system where the tunnels are long and on climbs. I can always change locos for U boats and SD45s for variety.

I forgot to add - the Depots (stations) are in place for the Passenger enthusiasts and the speed limits will enable some speedy running on the Northern section (up to 79mph).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  17. Blacknred81

Because the SD40T-2 was pretty much the bread and butter of SP diesel fleet and could be found pretty much anywhere on their system. From pretty much the 70s to the 90s, they were the 2nd most numerous loco on SPs roster, only behind the SD45/SD45R, and just ahead of the U33C (Though U33Cs started to disappear from the roster starting in the mid to late 1980s).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. hayward.john48

Thanks for the information, always time to learn.

19. Blacknred81

Note: Milepost has some fixes coming up in a future patch.
    Screenshot_20220207-134907_Facebook.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I must be one of the few that actually like US passenger workings :o
    I had three two week holidays in the US in 1992, 1993 and 1994 spent travelling around the Amtrak rails along with commuter runs in a number of big cities.

Caught up with some classic traction - E8s on Metra Commuter runs around Chicago,
    BN 9913.jpg
    FL9s out of New York to Albany with Amtrak and Metro North, LIRR Push-Pull runs using an FA1 Cab Car and a GP38-2 on the other end, U34CH on NJ Transit out of Hoboken.

And classic Amtrak locos with E60s, AEM7s, F40PH and P30CH.
    Amtrak 602 (3).JPG
    Amtrak 923.JPG

Good Old days

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  21. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Ah, 1991 to 1994. What a time to be a railfan in America. Regular big steam operations on the mainline, and the regular everyday motive power was a treat in and of itself, as demonstrated by those photographs.

22. rawlins_88

rawlins_88 New Member

Please release the mount shasta line for tsw2 on ps4. This is the route that is in my home county. Grew up watching this line everyday.
    Thank you

23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Why not get TS2022? TSW2 has route length limits I've heard because of UE4 not being designed for progressive loading.

Wouldn't hurt to have them both?

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why not ask this question on the TSW2 forums? This is a different game where you need a Computer to run it
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/forums/playstation-discussion.138/