Raildriver Cab Controller Support

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Romeo90, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Romeo90

Romeo90 New Member

I'm unable to find any info on this, apart from they are working on bringing compatibility with TSW. But when?

Really disappointed, love TSW, but back to keyboard to control is a big step backwards especially when I've got an amazing controller that would be awesome to use with TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hellomynameis

Hellomynameis New Member

They've pretty much just said they'll look at it (peripherals in general) later.

Disappointing, to say the least. It's genuinely harder (and annoying) playing a train simulation with a keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

We've got it in mind but can't make any promises at this point in time. We have a number of other areas to be focusing on currently but will not rule out the possibility of raildriver compatibility coming to the platform some way down the line.

- Jay

• Like Like x 1
  4. Burtie

Burtie New Member

Thanks Jay for your reply.
    Hope its sooner than later.

5. Burtie

Burtie New Member

Is there any news on the Raildriver support Jay.
    i don't understand why this is an issue, all flight games and racing games come with joystick controller and steering wheel controller built in on release,TSW is a premium simulation yet you have use keyboard and mouse or Xbox controller which both are unrealistic, i know not everyone has a Raildriver controller but the option should be there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. James Maunder

James Maunder New Member

Any word yet, keyboard controls are such a disappointment

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harmsway

Harmsway New Member

I have Raildriver too but in the meantime I use my Flight Stick throttle.

8. SteveFD

SteveFD New Member

Okay, it's now the end of January 2018. Is there any news or progress on getting the Raildriver to work with Train Sim World?

I bought the Raildriver for Train Sim World, knowing it was the latest and greatest train simulator around. How can it NOT support the Raildriver, the best peripheral controller for train simulators??? Nothing else is even close. This is very sad Jay. :( < ----- (tear on cheek)

• Like Like x 2
  9. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

10. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

We want to nail down the fundamentals before we start focusing resources on peripheral compatibility. Raildriver compatibility didn't even come into TS20XX until 6/7(?) years of existence (though we are not planning to make you guys wait that long again).

Remember that TSW is still in its infancy and there is still a lot of work to go until we have the product where we want it to be. We just want to make sure we've nailed the basics, then we can start focusing on other features and implementations :)

- Jay

• Like Like x 4
  11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

One thing I have come to realize is that TSW was released as a VERY "base" game. We got full access to the game shortly after a couple public betas and even those were shortly after the closed beta tests. The game is in its infancy.

We will have to patiently wait for a route editor.
    We will have to patiently wait for TrackIR support.
    We will have to patiently wait for RailDriver support.

In the interim do some other stuff. In my case, my group and I are preparing to develop the Northeast Corridor. For us that means doing hundreds of hours of research on stuff like track speeds, signal placement, curvature, superelevation, etc.

It'll come in due time. Find something else to do while DTG makes these features.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Burtie

Burtie New Member

Jay
    What i find hard to believe is that the support for Raildriver should have been in on release, how many flight sim games come out without joystick support, how many racing sims come out without steering wheel support, if DTG gave as much attention to getting the game as bug free as possible and giving support to peripherals as they do to releasing DLC's then we would have a great game, but we all know thats not going to happen.

13. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Let's not just talk about Raildriver, please. This should be about game controllers in general. Raildriver does not satisfy the need for all types of engines. Game controller support (for generic DirectX analog axis devices like the Saitek Throttle Quadrant, or using the HOTAS throttle from a joystick/throttle package) _is_ a fundamental feature for a simulation like this. Plus it is relatively easy to add. Yes, I do understand the complexities of the task, but relatively speaking, it's not difficult.

Also consider that adding generic DirectX game controller support will automatically add support for the Raildriver as well, but adding only Raildriver support (through a custom plugin I presume) only helps Raildriver. Lots of people have generic flight sim gear that would work great with TSW. Relatively few people have Raildrivers. Even in TS2018, the Raildriver plugin doesn't work very well with many engines. It took a community created mod to fix both the Raildriver as well as add proper support for generic DirectX game controllers. That mod only works because we got lucky that engine controls are driven by LUA scripts which could be modified to install the mod. TSW does not seem to have such a hook.

My reason for pushing for this is simple. All the effort in TSW (graphics, first person walking around, more buttons and switches you can flip on the engines, realistic physics, etc.) is all about creating realism and suspension of disbelief. But to then have to control all of that with a keyboard button, or an Xbox controller retracts from the realism a significant amount.

A $70 Logittech/Saitek Throttle Quadrant is not expensive (way cheaper than Raildriver), or there are many other HOTAS setups (even for cheap) that would go a long way toward increasing realism. I bought Train Simulator because I was able to add (through a custom mod) game controller support. I would not have bought it or the several dozen DLC's for it otherwise. I took a risk and decided to try TSW without it. It sucked using the keyboard, or having to drag levers with a mouse (though I applaud DTG for adding fully mouse interactive controls!). But I found TSW is such a big step forward that I took the time to write custom C code to get my HOTAS Warthog to work, complimented by a Saitek Throttle Quadrant (I'll post my efforts elsewhere later today). But without proper DirectX support from DTG, anything I do is at best a kludge and not a viable option for everyone.

Please DTG, you are in the business of simulators, and simulators need physical levers and controls to feel like a real sim. Please make this a fundamental feature going forward.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

It's not RailDriver, or even generic game controller support, but I created a TARGET script for the Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle that allows it to control the throttle or throttle/brake combo lever, reverser, dynamic, automatic, and independent brake levers as well as some other basic buttons and switches. It now supports all engines except the Talent 2. I'll add support for the Amtrak ACS-64 when it comes out.

Sorry to spam this topic, but thought it was relavant. See the thread on it here:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...t-for-warthog-throttle-saitek-tq-profile.3634

• Like Like x 3
  15. SpiritFire

SpiritFire New Member

this is one of the two reason i haven't bought TSW yet. no raildriver support was primary.
    sticking with train simulator atm.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carlos Alexandre

Carlos Alexandre New Member

Too bad RailDriver folks do not have support for TSW
    I would only buy simulator with RailDriver support.
    :(

17. Carlos Alexandre

Carlos Alexandre New Member

Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle is very expensive here in Brazil
    :( $$$$$

18. John S

John S New Member

I hope that TS2019 will incorporate better support for the Raildriver controller. Both 32 and 64bit. Can you imagine a flight simulator without use of a joystick at the very least?

19. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Ahem, wrong forum perchance or just wildly offtopic? ;)

20. smencimer

smencimer New Member

Jay, do you have any updates on this? I don’t want to spend any more money on train sim world DLC, although it looks amazing, because I can’t use the raildriver with it which ruins the whole experience. TS2019 is just better overall with raildriver even though the graphics aren’t as good.

• Like Like x 3
  21. DatMeleeMan

DatMeleeMan New Member

Have you tried macros?

22. John S

John S New Member

Just read this. Not at all - have you tried using the Raildriver controller as opposed to a keyboard or PS controller. It adds a lot to the immersion factor. It is now supported on the majority of TS locos (the RhB locos and railcars are superb using this) but the issue now is TSW where it isn't supported at all - but is on the "roadmap" for early development.

23. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

you can already use it on a select number of trains
    it is in beta