Has Tsw2 Failed As A Game On Pc - Poll 0 - 10 Rating. 10 Being It Has!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Feb 7, 2022.

?
  1. 10

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. 2

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. 1

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Has TSW2 failed as a game on PC - Poll 0 - 10 rating. 10 being it has!

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Define 'failed'.

• Like Like x 3
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

855C7A30-469E-4FF4-84C1-D0677779B750.gif

• Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Skyz2020

Failed to capture a user base, keep it happy and maintain standards

5. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

I think this is a very subjective matter. A game can only fail when it fails to enjoy me and I enjoy TSW a lot. So no, imo the game didnt fail.

And as you defined "failed": It has a user base (1000 players at average playing the game on Steam) and its mostly happy although it constructively criticizes shortcomes and bugs which is legit.

• Like Like x 4
  6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

failed

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clumsy Pacer

No, it hasn't failed. Especially compared to TS1 which is a complete lottery when it comes to standards. It's most likely the vocal minority who are unhappy with things (evidenced by the fact that TSW has like 80% positive reviews on Steam, compared to about 60-70% for TS1.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Skyz2020

Thank you for input

9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

If it had failed we wouldn't be here talking about it! Despite its faults my experience with it, and TS1 incidentally, are overwhelmingly positive.

Is this another poll in which the pollster is hoping to have their own views endorsed?

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

It seems to average out at about 750, although it peaks at over 1000 daily (around 3-6pm UTC), or at least has in the last week.
    upload_2022-2-7_13-2-30.png
    IT can be assumed that you can multiply these figures by 3 and you'll have pretty much the entire playerbase, if it's true that it's a straight 33/33/33 split between PC/Xbox/PS. It'd then easily dwarf TS1.
    upload_2022-2-7_13-4-55.png

Considering they're still making DLCs for it, I think the accountants at DTG would disagree that it's failed as well ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

By this definition - no, it hasn't failed. It has captured an audience, albeit small because train simulation will always be a niche market.

I would also disagree with maintaining standards as overall, the quality of addons improves or at least stays the same. What is missing right now is testing and polishing of new addons (floating objects and track, areas that look 80-90% complete,...) and updates to older addons that get stuck in the pipeline.

I went with "3" in the poll as I think TSW is competent in what it does, but it's not the best it could be.
    Also, it may be just me, but I almost reversed the rating as usually a bigger rating means better product, not worse.

• Like Like x 4
  12. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Skyz2020 Why do YOU think it has failed?

Not a fanboy rhetorical jibe, just a genuine ask as you put the poll up.
    p.s I won't vote for fairness.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

To me, it seems weird hanging around on the forum for a game that you think has failed?

• Like Like x 3
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Nope, and I know games which have a much bigger userbase with similar "faults and issues" for similar time frames
    Welcome to the world of digital gaming...

15. Skyz2020

One example;

Anyone who was promised full livery designer support. Multiple trains including the class 43 have been waiting two years for livery support. TSW2 was not about just moving forward, it was about making promises about improving older content and sticking to it in a reasonable time frame. By this yard stick, DTG have failed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Ah, so historically DTG has failed to live up to some of the promises that they've given? I think DTG admit this and Sam in particular has been focused on trying to avoid this.
    That's not the same as "the game has failed" imho. But then again, I don't think it's failed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clumsy Pacer

Which is impressive given the livery editor hasn't been around for 2 years.

They also promised steam trains over a year ago, but we haven't got them yet - has the game failed on that front, therefore?

The thing I get about people who say about broken promises etc - at what point is the promise of "we're going to do this" broken? It seems to be an arbitrary timescale for everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  18. hoagy

hoagy Member

"Failed" like the poll that says it's 0-10 but only gives 1-10 options?

19. doublefine7

Yes, DTG has promised a lot. They were and are very ambitious. Lets remember the promise of an Editor and Multiplayer. They admitted both wont come available for several reasons. And you are legit to criticize that. Yes, its bad but at least they are honest about it. DTG is one of the few companies where they communicate about it, where they openly say "we are sorry, we cant deliver on that promise for this and that reason." Much bigger companies just stay silent in these cases.

And to be fair: A company can only fail to deliver on the expectations of an individual customer because the customer always has incredibly high expectations. So imo its not a DTG problem that you are disappointed about certain stuff, its a you problem because you expected it to come definitely in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
  20. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

OK, thanks for your answer and I respect that.
    All games are in development and TSW is no exception. From 12 years of Star Citizen, If a dev promises something, don't believe them. It WILL arrive, but #later.

A small team like DTG are pressed constantly. Can you see how negative threads here and elsewhere are morale-sapping to those people working every day to bring us these games?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, there's not that many devs from DTG that roam these forums. Probably a reason for that ;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I underline small teams also.
    The most embarrassing episode in train simming was the "ballast-gate" Karenism when CIG released SEHS. The furore which ensued was amazing.
    If I was a dev who thought they'd had a good day, I wouldn't touch a forum.

• Like Like x 1
  23. doublefine7

I think a lot of people forgot how to enjoy and appreciate the work of a devteam. The forums nowadays feel like people are only looking for any reason to be negative about the devs and the game. I still recommend: If you like the game, enjoy it and give feedback constructively in a friendly way. If you dont have to say anything constructive, just shut it.

• Like Like x 6
  24. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

That goes for life itself brother.
    If you appreciate it, say so.. otherwise, STFU

• Like Like x 2
  25. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I don't think they have failed as of yet but they are on the path imo. DTG concentrate on too many things at once for me, yes it is great having enthusiasm but if it delivers problems with DLC then why spread yourself so thin. They should concentrate on one thing and then move on to the next although they have separate teams but even so.

I bought TSW2 for GWE but haven't played the game in months now as I still waiting for the preserved updates and others are as well. I'd love to get 'stuck in' to the game and for me DTG are stopping me enjoying it, and if you don't enjoy it then there is little point in playing. In this respect DTG are failing but everyone's experience will be different.

• Like Like x 1
  26. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Again another poorly worded poll question that skews the result to the pollsters desired out come. A better poll question would be on a a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate TSW2 on entertainment value. Followed by would you recommend this simulation to other train aficionados? yes/no

Notice neither question presupposes one’s’ disposition to TSW2 and allows respondent to provide further comment without feeling they have to be argumentative toward the pollsters questions. Of course this advice is if the pollster wants to really get information from the community.

Based on the scant poll question my response is no it hadn’t failed. Of course this same question and could be in the Forums for MSFS 2020, the new Baulder Gate release, Skyrim or any other game or simulation where people differ on what is provided and what they think should be provided. The biggest fault was the over enthusiastic prediction of what the developers thought they could provide and what was realistically producible in the time frame of developing Simugraph, supporting 5 different development platforms and working through the restrictions some of that platforms have. It reminds me of the early years of TSClassic and I am seeing the same progress of later routes showing improvements over earlier routes.

As with all the simulators I have enjoyed over the years, it is a journey and as they mature, they improve, unlike many AAA games that have a set playability.

• Like Like x 4
  27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the knock-on effects of a mistake, an honest one but still a mistake, made at the outset: building TSW on Unreal 4.19... which wasn't adequate to DTG's ambitions. This required a subsequent port to 4.23, a paid rerelease as TSW2, and the Preserved Collection issues which continue to date.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Skyz2020

Thank you for the comments. Very balanced.

29. Skyz2020

Yes the upgrade path did come with issues. I felt console suffered most, however many issues also persist with PC

30. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

"Console suffered most". Don't say that too loudly around here...
    You know TSW isn't really a console port right..?

popcorn emoji thing..

31. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I wonder how Xbox and PS players would answer? Given the sound problems and save issues. I agree the consoles have suffered the most which is a shame.

32. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

For the love of Bobba Fett and all things slightly tinged with orange paint can we please have a polls area set up on this forum DTG Natster so they don't dilute an otherwise useful platform?

Maybe a separate polls community, on a separate polls platform, accessible only by skewed question authors and poll lovers.

• Like Like x 4
  33. Clumsy Pacer

It was 4.16

34. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

the proper word in this poll here is TSW being defined as a 'game', which I think it definitely is still.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I play on PS5 as well as PC (and even XBox occasionally - It’s pretty good with cloud gaming). I actually prefer to play on console. It has its frustrations but I still spend a considerable number of hours playing and enjoying it. Given that, I can’t say it’s failed. It’s certainly now my most played game with TS Classic now in 2nd place.

But I‘m usually a fairly patient person. If something doesn’t work, there are plenty of things that do and for the brief period I couldn’t play at all on PlayStation, I knew they would fix it, so whilst it was annoying, it wasn’t the end of the world.

I get far more annoyed by pointless polls that allow people to ask leading questions and give answers without any constructive contributions to validate their answer.

• Like Like x 2
  36. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Enough of the poll spam. Polls don't help the community team, so please cool it.

Spamming duplicate polls will get the threads locked.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.