Locking Threads Because You Can't Handle Outcomes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Feb 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Now an honest question(s), maybe the final question(s) for a while.

Under what circumstances should a thread be locked?

Multiple posts?

It has a poll?

It doesn't contain all positive happy clappy buzz words about the game you manage as a community manager?

I would like to apologise for posting a poll earlier, I would also like to apologise for posting a poll in seperate forums (albeit to gauge a different user base),

but what I won't apologise for is spending £100s on a game which the community managers of said game ride round the forums like its the old west and they are the only sheriff in town closing up threads they don't like the sound of left, right and centre

(Prediction,this thread will be closed within 48 hours, but not because of anything I said...)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I suspect that your earlier poll threads were closed because effectively the same thread was repeated in the three platforms, a common problem as there is not a single forum for the game in general as there is in the TS forums. There are plenty of threads criticising DTG that are not closed and one other reason that some are closed is when comments get personal and abusive (not in your case though).

I’m not a fan of these types of polls particularly when using a leading question (i.e. putting the word failure in the question) but I defend your right to post them while the forums rules allow them. If certain people don’t like them, then they should ignore them. Perhaps we need a poll to ask whether we want to allow polls :|

I would advise though that these multi platform threads/polls are posted in Off Topic as it at least keeps it in one place.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Do please get over yourself. Your thread was locked not because it posed any question, but because it was yet another in a sudden burgeoning of pointless "poll" threads - and one which really neither added nor sought information, but was simply the statement "TSW is a failure" couched in "How much do you agree with me?" terms.

Reminds me a bit of certain journalists, who whine about "freedom of the press" when a politician refuses to answer a "Do you still beat your wife?" sort of question.

• Like Like x 13
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'd recommend reading the forum rules and utilising the etiquette of other members whose threads aren't blocked .

• Like Like x 4
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Skyz2020, you got a clear answer as to why your threads were locked. Quoting Nat:

• Like Like x 3
  6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Correct! (Sry just had to faceapp)
    FaceApp_1644256805299.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Here is a good advice: Whenever you want to do a poll, ask yourself this question: Do I want others to confirm my position and oppinion as the correct one or do I want an honest average of different opinions? And I am sorry but your poll was simply a "My position is the correct one, who agrees with me".

Every poll needs to add something of value to the community, especially in terms of developers feedback and general overview of opinions (in this case a poll about "How do you play the game" with several different subquestions would be appropriate). In this case your poll didnt add anything besides "how much do you think this game sucks" to a forum that doesnt need any toxic or overly negative threads.

• Like Like x 10
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Basically, your basic, most simple answer, in laymans term, like really simple answer is "If it goes against the rules of the forums", which can be found https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-forum-rules.23560/

Your poll fell foul of the below
    upload_2022-2-7_18-9-47.png

This is the precise reason why Nat locked your posts, and no other reason. Personally I really dont understand what has confused you on this?

Personally whilst we dont have a multiple platform general board, personally I do think this is a devisive rule and it feels like DTG are delibrately trying to keep the different format users seperate. However its their forum, their rules and we've got to respect them and if we fall foul of the rules even advertantly then we can all expect posts to be moderated/locked down.

• Like Like x 2
  9. chieflongshin

It’s not really a good idea to be calling Nat out either. She does a good, and hard job on all our behalf’s. You might not agree with her, she’s doing her role as “community manager” , not “post appeaser”. We’ve all fallen foul (myself included) but trust her judgement.

Anyhow, not for me to educate.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't exactly say that was a bad outcome for Dovetail - how on earth did you get to that conclusion?
    upload_2022-2-7_18-29-54.png

You posted the same thread on each of the forums - maybe just posting one in the off topic or PC* forum would've been a better choice.

*Plenty of console peeps roam the PC forum.

• Like Like x 10
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged.

• Like Like x 1
  12. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Yes folks we do exist :D

13. chieflongshin

Get back to your own house :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

What is this heresy? Man the battlements comrades, this is a mutiny if ever I saw one.

15. Skyz2020

Like the PC forum, very good guys. I will give DTG credit on one front it is a brave move to have over 7 platforms to support.

16. chieflongshin

We're not all pc master race. There's A decent amount of us that probably own consoles too. :cool:

17. trainsimplayer

I should probably throw my view in anyway:

I think we're all getting fed up of polls, meaningless ones, at least. They've become annoyingly commonly recently.

I'm an Xbox player, through and through, without a doubt. I don't have a PS, and I don't have TSW on Steam. However I always come over to PC, sometimes even PS, because there are always good topics to be found.

So, that's reason one: you fell foul of the spam rule by putting the thread on the PC/PS/XBOX forums.

Secondly, your threads had nothing in them but a poll - nothing constructive.

Thirdly, your narrative that DTG are shutting things down is incorrect and full of rubbish - to stay within appropriate tongue for the forums.

On all three threads, the most positive result (1) was victorious. Although Xbox by a closer margin, but hardly anyone voted there. So I don't see why DTG would want to close that down?

Here's your reason:
    Bold = the answer, btw.

This is just so wrong, it's laughable. Your thread got locked. Big deal. It's not like you spend days working on it, judging by the contents, a few minutes a most.

Tip: Get over it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Can we have this thread locked DTG Natster . This is ridiculous!

• Like Like x 5
  19. Skyz2020

Thank you FD, most helpful

20. Skyz2020

Thank you TSP, I have found this useful knowledge, have taken notes

21. Skyz2020

I quite agree

• Like Like x 1
  22. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

JealousSheep768
    Please moderate your demand for Gen8 consoles.
    Makes my eye water and does little for your cause.

23. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Apologies I decided to delete my reply a few minutes after posting just because I thought this thread wasn't going to last long and it was wasted effort, also I thought it was maybe a bit too negative... that's to why it's missing for anyone that comes across this thread. I still stand by to what I wrote which is still available using your quoted text.

24. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

From reading each of the threads in question I gather that your main complaint was that the HST isn't in the livery editor yet. So on that basis the game has failed?

I am also waiting for the HST to be in the livery editor, hopefully not too long after the creation club is launched so we can enjoy lookalikey blue/yellow and IC swallow liveries.

But the lack of this very specific functionality can hardly constitute the game failing, how come your evaluation of a game with a huge catalogue of content is reduced to whether the HST is livery editor compatible or not?

• Like Like x 1
  25. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

There's a highly regarded developer of popular Boeing flight sim addons who would have deleted your thread if it had appeared on their forum.

The moderation on DTG's forums seems to me to be fairly balanced and, moderate.

• Like Like x 3
  26. chieflongshin

The reason for this in case you're not aware is because the GWR logo is not a decal but embossed on the train if I recollect.

The only other livery is a mod to unlock the purple first great western one . This gives you a light purple one

27. trainsimplayer

Tbf I'd imagine they could do something along the lines of using the FGW version of the model in the livery designer.

28. chieflongshin

29. Skyz2020

Aaa the wizz of the IC in red, black and cream. Perfect for wcl, stick it in planner with some 150s, 08 and the game leaps forward. Only a opinion, just a idea

30. solicitr

I enjoyed having the FGW liveries on the Great Western; unfortunately, that mod also, if you have Cathcart installed, for some bizarre reason puts Scotrail 314s on it! So I had to remove the mod.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  31. doublefine7

There is an extra package that removes the 314 from that mod so it doesnt appear ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. solicitr

Is there? Where?

33. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Posts can also be locked by necroposting in addition to Bashing DTG. That might start to become prevalent if Simrail surpasses TSW2 due to the lack of Editor and Workshop routes.

34. doublefine7

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Never fun getting a thread locked, but please familiarise yourself with the forum rules, especially when it comes to posting duplicate threads over multiple sections.

Your thread was not locked for being a poll, however it was relevant to mention that there has been a noted influx of polls recently, which offer little value for the community team.

As we are often talking on the behalf the community internally, we much prefer written and detailed feedback.

Positive or negative we want to hear your thoughts.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.