South West Trains Waterloo To Portsmouth...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bradders059, Feb 5, 2022.

1. bradders059

bradders059 New Member

Would love to see the Portsmouth direct line even though it’s in ts classic but this route offers a lot, a 455 stopping service to Woking, and could also include the Hampton court branch, the whole route is 69 miles long, only abit longer than the bml at 51 miles so it’s definitly possible I would say

The route offers busy London driving with the busiest stations included (Waterloo& clapham junction) it would be great to layer southern onto this route as they can be seen both at Portsmouth and Clapham Junction The route also offers nice countryside driving as you get closer to Portsmouth so there’s a nice mix of scenery

If this would to be added to tsw 2 the class 444&450 would feature on the mainline we would see both as they are very similar having very minor differences(door layout, seat layout, livery, and cooling fans) and a class 455 for stopping services ( pictures below)

I would love to see the route in the south west trains era purely for rolling stock as although these trains are not seen often on the pdl they could be added as dlc, class 707,458

another minor reason I think the swt trains have more character with there livery as each train has a unique colour way eg, 444, white , 450, blue , 455, red etc however this isn’t a make or break for the route

This route will be a great addition to the game as it adds a new train operating company into the game and as a bonus it will have great sounds as Armstrong powerhouse has made a 450/444 sound pack! Dtg will most likely use them as they have been using Armstrong sounds recently (314, electro stars etc)

[​IMG] Class 450
    [​IMG] Class 444
    [​IMG] Class 455

• Like Like x 4
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Too long in its entirety for TSW. Guildford to Portsmouth as per the original for TS might be a possibility, but another third rail route with modern traction is likely to meet with some resistance from the customer base.

3. lovetrains 3628

lovetrains 3628 Active Member

sherman hill is 76 milles

4. bradders059

bradders059 New Member

I would like to think it might be possible to do the whole route as it seems dtg are making slightly longer routes for tsw now but even if they did have to go from Woking where the pdl starts I would be happy!

5. bradders059

bradders059 New Member

I think in tsw it’s 58 miles but even so If that’s possible I’m sure 69 is possible!

6. lovetrains 3628

even if one is possitble the other should be?

7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Again Sherman Hill is mostly 76 miles of countryside, the PDL has a lot of urban and suburban scenery with a large number of stations, complex junctions and a busy timetable. It would be far more time consuming to model, so comparing them on physical route length alone isn't really fair. I do support having a SWT route, just not the PDL in particular (it's not a route I play very often in TS, and even then I mostly drive on the shorter but busier Guildford to Waterloo section).

8. lovetrains 3628

so more comes down to scenary?

9. OldVern

And Sherman Hill chokes down to FPS in single figures...

10. AirbourneAlex

Scenery complexity, yes. Modelling a town is far more complex than modelling a field for example.

11. AirbourneAlex

London Commuter isn't the smoothest either, and I wouldn't want to guess what a PDL route would be like.

12. lovetrains 3628

as you need more asstes

13. AirbourneAlex

You need to place more assets, or in some cases build new ones for specific structures like stations and notable landmarks.

14. OldVern

Oh indeed. Whereas the FPS drop and stutter on Sherman is fairly constant (I know that's a funny way to phrase it), BML literally judders with the sound dropping out before it picks up again.
    Oh and as noted in the "Longer routes..." thread(s), if you get into the purview of 80 or 90 minute runs on a 70 mile route, you're going to hit the save game issues. I don't play BML as, apart from the stutters, I rarely have time to do an end to end run in one sitting and the route rarely reloads the save game correctly, probably the worst offender. So Guildford to Portsmouth, yes possibly, but Waterloo - forget it.

15. bradders059

bradders059 New Member

That’s very fair would you think Woking to Portsmouth is possible? Including the hamton court branch

16. AirbourneAlex

Hampton Court is beyond Woking, you wouldn't include it unless going into Waterloo. The best stretch in my opinion would be Guildford to Waterloo, whereby we can get the busiest (and probably the most interesting) part of the line. Not sure of an exact length but somewhere around 35 to 40 miles. Alternatively go to Basingstoke, somewhere new that has even more services, including for the Class 159.

It would be somewhat similar to Great Western Express, choose from a longer complete stopping service or a shorter partial express service, arguably with a bit more variety since there's more service patterns and places to stop at. The timetable would feel as busy as London Commuter, with layering potential between either.

17. bradders059

bradders059 New Member

Totally agree this would be a perfect swt route perfect miles good services!

• Like Like x 1
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Why not make this the 1990s with BREL 465s The game has Metro Cammell 465s for SEHS DLC 4VEP 3CIGs

19. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

I don't think 465s ever operated out of Waterloo. Now... a 455 is always welcome though :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about that and for class 455 that is a Mk3 coach based emu like the 456. 25kv 50hz versions are 317 322/321