The Cumbrian Coastline

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsandgames, Oct 29, 2021.

1. trainsandgames

trainsandgames Active Member

For quite a while I have wanted to see a full connecting route from Preston to Carlisle via the S&C and the CC so I can recreate a particular few scenarios. With my mate now working on the S&C from Carnforth to settle with the Preston/Blackburn bit as well, I feel it time to express my desire for a Cumbrian Coast. You would probably have Preston to Barrow with a 156, 195 (maybe) and maybe a flask train.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Cumbrian Coast is in progress by On Track Simulation.

I'm also working on extending the S&C to Leeds which will include the Bentham Line and Bradford/Ilkley..

• Like Like x 1
  3. alexbieganowski

alexbieganowski Member

As soon as I figure the google maps overlay it'll probably be happening

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I saw a development diary of this. It goes to Barrow and starts the trek towards Whitehaven. To be honest, I requested the line from Carlisle to Whitehaven before. Maybe one day we'll work our way around, though the Newcastle to Carlisle route is a very important one too.

5. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

The plan is to eventually get to Carlisle. Next phase, last I heard a couple of weeks ago, was to Sellafield and then on from there.

6. Cyclone

Excellent. Will be nice to drive that entire line with the detour into Barrow. I figured this might eventually be one line, but I also know the Carlisle to Newcastle is super important. I suspect that one might appear in TSW2 before TS, however, which would sadden me since I'd want to see it merged with the Barrow line and potentially in a circle with the other Carlisle, Glasgow, and Edinburgh routes.

7. alexbieganowski

alexbieganowski Member

8. Cyclone

Yeah, I saw that the other day. the OHLE pack and Missing Link are both apparently requirements, so treat it as yet another subware route. Unfortunate as I'd hoped to take a look at this, and I would encourage Tom to remove Missing Link as a requirement.

9. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

If you remove Missing Link as a requirement then you lose Preston station and some other assets.

10. Cyclone

In theory, he could just use the Shap version of the station. IMO, there was no reason to really make that a requirement, but that's just my opinion.

11. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Unfortunately the old Preston station was kit-bashed and is now 8 years old. The WCML over shap Preston was going to be used originally, but with a better version of the station being available, I believe Tom wanted to use it.

A good thing really to see devs working together to bring it to a higher standard. I think it was better to use the Missing Link one as it is much more detailed.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  12. Cyclone

There is however the problem that you must be a subscriber to Alan Thomsin Sim to get the route. There is also the problem that you are effectively downloading an incomplete route. We know this because it's a six phase route. We also know that former subscribers are not entitled to the full updated versions.

In other words, it would be nice if Tom can get permission to bundle the related assets with the route rather than force people to pay what in my country is $50 CDN for an incomplete Missing Link and have to pay again to complete it later. This is not cool from my perspective.

By the way, normal route DLC on Steam? $45.49 CDN. Still too much, mind, but sales happen fairly often.

13. alexbieganowski

alexbieganowski Member

I agree, Missing Link is expensive. Was going to get all the requirements, but Missing Link just costs too much, knowing that there's not much other free DLC for the price. I wouldn't mind if there was a shorter subscription too, or you could just buy it for £25 or something or have the option of free if you have the subscription.

Personally, it's just too much for something I'll probably only ever use as a requirement.

14. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Yes that is the one downside for many people that you have to subscribe and it's a shame a monthly payment isn't possible at this point.

I disagree with regarding it being an incomplete route. Yes more phases are to come, but it's only like DTG and the original NWC. That only went to Conwy and so wasn't the complete route. You then had to buy the extension to Holyhead. The same applies for SWC.
    Also if you waited to release it all in one go, you will still be waiting at least another 2/3 years, whereas releasing in phases allows people to play it now.

Regarding bundling the assets in the route, it would depend on ATS allowing Tom to do that.

Missing Link is also a lot longer than other routes, hence it being more expensive.

15. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

It is free with the subscription!
    That is the main reason I paid for a years subscription.
    Trust me this route alone is well worth the subscription fee and you get a discount on the OHLE pack (which is to die for) for only £5.99
    It's a no-brainer in my eyes.
    Considering DTG, JT etc. charge £20+ for much shorter routes than the Missing Link and you don't get this quality of asset ............
    20211023190846_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cyclone

Right, but the NWC extension was still low in price at the time and sold by itself compared to what they are doing today, charging full price for the updated NWC and not accounting for owners of the original first half, and putting CML in the Dover/Ramsgate route and not discounting it for existing owners instead of making them buy it twice. ATS is basically doing with Missing Link what DTG is doing presently. And FTR, when NWC used to be less than $4 and they want me to pay $40...sorry, you're gonna have to do a lot better than that.
    We're talking about one station and a select few assets, not all stations along the route or any track covered by the Barrow route. The route still terminates at Preston in the south and goes no further into Missing Link, so Alan should look at allowing the station model for free here to be a promo of his Missing Link route. Adding Northern Lines assets might be an option, as well, and that's already free. Advertising that way is a good idea IMO.
    It's not "more expensive". It's "free for subscribers". Subscribers basically can buy other stuff cheap, and that would require investing another $100 or so to basically make money off the sub.

17. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

I never said it was for stations or track along the whole route. I'm well aware the route finishes at Preston, being my local line and having driven it often enough. It is probably not as simple as just allowing the station model to be used for free. What Northern Lines assets would be used? Preston station is the same as it is on WCML over Shap, just with a bit more added detail.

I wouldn't say they are doing what DTG are doing. Your paying for the sub and then you can download the Missing Link. As long as you are subscribed, you will still get the extensions when they come out. Unlike DTG where they release a route at full price, as you say, with no discount for existing owners.

Apologies, that could have been worded better. Yes it is free for subscribers. It was more in regards to the subscription in general. You have to pay that little bit more, but you get a lot of benefits from it (Missing Link, discounts on other products etc.)

18. Cyclone

That's the thing. "As long as you are subscribed." So if, let's say, Phase 4 comes out and someone subs, and then Phase 5 gets announced near the end of the sub and this same subscriber is waiting for it, then it drops the day after the sub runs out...I would argue that not being able to then pick up the update to the route would be a legitimate reason for him to be extremely pissed off. :cool:

19. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

Yes in that scenario you could see why somebody would be extremely unhappy. I've not had that issue myself, but messaging the team might help in that case and they would point them in the right direction.

Unfortunately though, that's how it is now. It's like buying WCML over Shap for 24.99 and the next day a sale starts and its 16.99 and thinking 'well if I knew it was going to be on sale today I wouldn't have bought it yesterday'.

20. Cyclone

Provided you have not played something else in TS for two hours since purchasing, you can refund it and rebuy it. This is not considered a violation of Steam TOS.