Db Br 101 Instruments And Driving Help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Feb 7, 2022.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

I bought DBBR 101 as part of the new Epic sale and I find the train very enjoyable, though some of the buttons are nor covered in the manual, if someone could tell me what are these for I 's appreciate that.

1. What are those three switches bottom left? Do they have any affect on the driving?
    upload_2022-2-7_23-49-13.png

2. What is this switch for?

upload_2022-2-7_23-51-36.png

3. Whenever I approach a station (without HUD - as always), when I go past the 500Hz magnet, it is saying something in German sound what I never heard before in any trains and I can't use the throttel any more , the train just slows down slowly.

4. When AFB on, how do you stop the train? With the brake levers or with the AFB lever or both?

5. When I set AFB and I use the throttle as Mat said ( to the maximum), wheels start to slip. Is there any indicator in the cabin beside that the train wouldn't accelerate properly I could figure out that the wheels are slipping?

Thanks in advance.

2. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

1.: NBÜ: Notbremsüberbrückung = Emergency brake bridging: is used for bridging the emergency brakes and make the train drive again, mostly used in tunnels.

2.: Multiple Unit Method: These are settings to let the train drive in double traction (zeitmultiplexe Mehrfachtraktionssteuerung ZMS); ZWS is Zeitmultiplexe Wendezugsteuerung which basically enables the possibility to drive the train from a cab car; ZDS BR 120 is another form of the ZMS which was introduced with the BR 120

3.: In the BR 101, when you go below 30 kmh, it says Türfreigabe which is a reminder to open the doors.

4.: You can use the AFB to reduce speed in general but if you have to stop the train, dont use it. Use the dynamic brakes and the air brakes.

5.: In the BR 101 you can either hear the wheelslip or if you look at the speedometer in the cab you can see the speedometer going up and down. In my experience you are good to go with a maximum of 40 KN when accelerating in the dry.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

No effect on driving. From left to right: A switch for testing the battery, a switch to bridge the passengers’ emergency brake valves, and a switch to determine whether the brake signal is sent to coaches pneumatically or via electrics.

Not simulated (edit: see Maik Goltz’s post below). It’s for switching between different protocols of multiple unit controls (for controlling 2 locos or driving from a cab car).

If you’re hearing something in German you haven’t heard before while slowing down, it’s likely Türfreigabe - door release. It plays when reaching 30km/h to remind the driver that they need to unlock the doors for passengers. This shouldn’t lock you out of the throttle though, a video would be helpful.

Always with the brake levers, never with AFB. AFB is intended to help you hold a speed, it’s never used to apply the brakes by moving the lever to a lower position.

The 101 utilises something called super slip. The loco allows the wheels to turn slightly faster than the train is moving which maximises the amount of tractive effort you can put on the rails. This is pretty much never used in real life anymore since it causes a deafening screeching throughout, much to the annoyance of the driver, the passengers, and anyone living close to the line. Wear and tear on the wheels and rails is also increased by quite a bit. If you want avoid using the super slip, make sure to apply no more than 40kN of tractive effort per traction motor.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

NBÜ: Specifically, it interacts with the passenger emergency brake handles in the coaches: if a passenger or train staff pulls one and the train stops, the driver needs to be able to override it and move the train if it comes to a stop in a tunnel, on a bridge or in some other unsafe spot.

Since TSW's passenzombies will never yank the handle, it's irrelevant.

5. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Wrong. At least one mode is simulated for sure. It is the ZDS/BR120 mode and allows you to control a second BR101. If you have 2 locos and this is not switched to the mode on both, they don't know from each other and the second loco will not react. It is rarely used in TSW yet, only with the sandwich trains. But it works.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  6. doublefine7

I can confirm that the ZDS/BR120 switch is working because you needed that for a mod that replaces the ICE on HMA with IC sandwich trains and it definitely is simulated.

7. Lamplight

Honestly didn’t expect that. I thought it was just a knob without function in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pterocles#7018

Thank you guys for the many useful info.

Just to complete the 'what is that switch' scheme, could you please advise on those circled with red?

upload_2022-2-8_14-24-46.png

9. solicitr

Top one: brake mode selector: rapid, passenger or goods. With the IC car set, leave it in R

bottom left: battery test

under the brake mode selector: electric or pneumatic brake actuation. Always use E

the three square buttons have to do with lighting

10. doublefine7

The switches with G P R are for the brakes. Thats a feature that has been introduced with DRA and it is basically for brake timings. P and R are used for passenger trains and light freight while G is used for medium to heavy freight.
    The "Batterie Prüfen" switch is for testing whether the battery works fine.
    The switch with pn el pn is for switching between electric and pneumatic brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. pterocles#7018

Thanks again. I love this forum.
    Back to ZDS R120/ZWS / ZMS - I understand that you use to select for different multiple unit configs.
    But which one in which case?
    There is a scenario (can't remember the name when there is one 10 pulling and one pushing. What is the correct setting there?

12. doublefine7

If you have a loco in front and a loco at the rear, you choose ZDS BR 120 in both locos.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pterocles#7018

And when do you use the others?

14. doublefine7

ZWS is when you are driving from a cab car with the 101 at the rear. Unfortunately the IC cab car isnt included in that DLC. ZMS is used when you have 2 locos pulling the train.

15. pterocles#7018

Fantastic, thanks for all these very useful details.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maik Goltz

Not as i know, at least for the BR101. If you have two BR101 together they also use the ZDS/BR120 protocol. ZMS was never used on the 101s. I assume it was meant to being used with newer locos like the BR152 and maybe even the newer TRAXX for multiple formation (3+ locos) or non ZDS compatible locos.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. doublefine7

Ok thats good to know. I wonder if Double traction was a regular thing on the BR 101 at any point. Thanks for the info anyways :)

18. Maik Goltz

It happened some times, but it is not much common because the train would be limited to 160kph (because of the short distance between pantographs). Do a Google picture search after "BR101 Doppeltraktion". There are just a few of them, some PbZ trains (long heavy trains without passengers to bring wagons to somewhere).

• Like Like x 1
  19. pterocles#7018

If we are talking about 101, is it normal that the acceleration is very very slow when it is raining? If I put throttle to 40-50% wheels slip. If I leave under it takes miles to gain speed let alone reach the 130km/hours limit. If this is the way it works I am more then happy with it, but it is a bit strange I have never experienced it with other locos though I usually drive DMUs, EMUs.

20. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

Matt was talking about going 250 km/h in the ICE under automatic (LZB) control. For the 101, you use as much throttle as you can before the traction dial starts suddenly slipping <-- and that's your in-cab indicator for wheelslip

21. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

The guys did the math here (in German) and when pulling 14 cars, a BR 101 would accelerate at 0.42 m/s^2.

Another website tells me with that acceleration, it would take 66 seconds and 915 metres to get to a speed of 100 km/h.

22. pterocles#7018

The problem maybe different and it is something I am missing despite watching several videos.

I drive with AFB on let's say 150km/h. I need to slow down to 100 km/h. What I do:
    -throttle to off, AFB lever stays where it was (150)
    -reduce speed to 100 with the train brake, then brake back to running
    -throttle set back to ~40 kN traction force and......nothing happens. Train is seemingly coasting.

Any idea?

23. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a very powerful loco. You’ll find even at 130-40kmh you might not get full throttle without a little wheel slip

24. Lamplight

Did you actually put the throttle to off or only to minimum?

• Like Like x 1
  25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this prototypical but I move the afb handle back to 100. Most of the time the train will brake itself . You just increase afb when you want to speed up again.

IF you use brakes, you will have to put throttle back to off position when you have released brakes, you should see the red square round the throttle notch indicator turn to white again meaning you can continue

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  26. pterocles#7018

Thanks. That was it. I thought that was off. It needs another push back though interestingly it felt like it was off.

27. solicitr

Yes, "off" is an additional notch beyond "0"