Are Ps5 Players Swapping Their Content Around?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stujoy, Feb 9, 2022.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Just a quick question to ask if any PS5 players are routinely swapping their DLC around while the 64GB limit is in place. I’ve not read here anyone discussing actually doing it.

I’ve not been doing that so far. Instead I have just uninstalled a bunch of routes and locos which I then haven’t been playing while this has been a thing. Is that what you have been doing too?

That approach has led to a reluctance to buy any routes and with Sherman Hill currently on sale and it likely meaning I’d have to delete a further two routes to accommodate it if I was to buy it, so I was wondering how quick and seamless the procedure is for anyone that is actively swapping their DLC and have they had any issues doing it.

We might still be several months away from a fix so I might have to start doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have, Though I'm uninstalling the game then having to reinstall everything I want plus the extra route I want to play that I haven't played for a while.

3. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

I’m swapping routes from time to time. Very tedious… but the only way to play all the routes. Hope the update comes soon. It’s taking way too long.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ZR Leigh

ZR Leigh Member

I’m in the same situation, I’m tempted to get Sherman Hill but will need to uninstall routes to play it. From what I can see it’s an easier process on PS5 than PS4. PS5 allows individual DLC to be deleted but PS4 (from what I’ve seen in the past) the whole game needs to be uninstalled and downloaded again.
    I hope a fix is found and released to us soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

stujoy good question and keen to see how others are dealing with the limit.

me personally I have mostly UK routes, HMA and the Chemnitz and any loco DLC to match.
    Total size is 67GB so guess I could squeeze another route on as it’s 64GB plus core which I think is around 10GBish
    Rarely chop and change as spending lots of time on London commmuter. Same thought with Sherman as I do enjoy a discount. Remember the store size displayed will be 4 and 5 combined but am sure it’s 5GB at least.

oh marcsharp2 on the game tile just click the three lines/start/burger button and down to manage and just trash what’s not used and download what you want when moving items around, no need to completely uninstall.

• Like Like x 2
  6. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I’ve reluctantly just got my German and UK routes installed. I am tempted to use the others on my PS4 version , but it’s difficult after playing them on the PS5 . It’s totally unsatisfactory for something we have paid good money for . TSW is my favourite game but all of this messing about and not having profiles moved and size limits after all of this time , taints the game a bit for me .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

Only when they fix this i play this again in ps5 if i play. im playing on Xbox series X.

8. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Yes I’ve been swapping- I have to since I have all of the routes. I finally just deleted all the German routes so I could progress on all the UK routes for a little while, but at some random moment I’m going to want to jump onto a layered HMA or Dresden, and it’ll be a pain to figure out the substitutions.
    My internet is super fast though, so it’s not really a gamebreaking issue for me yet.
    But of course there are routes that I unintentionally ignore because of the storage issue. For whatever reason, I never seem to be able to make room for Peninsula corridor, West Cornwall, and Arosa over some of the other routes

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Thank you for that, I didn't know about it. That's gonna be a time saver.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I have all my German and uk stuff installed plus I put Clinchfield back on. The process for swapping around is pretty straight forward but it’s a real ballache

• Like Like x 1
  11. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Got the UK stuff and most German stuff. Don’t really use anything else. The BML and layers and the riesa dresden with layers. Could be getting the kolnAachen expansion pack though, undecided but probably.

12. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I’m with you on that. When this started, I was still a bit below the limit and wasn’t affected. By the time Dresden-Chemnitz came out (and I knew I wanted to get DCZ on day one), I was getting dangerously close and thus uninstalled quite a few routes I’m not using regularly in preparation. No further action on my part was needed thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

So far I've mostly removed routes that are waiting for preservation upgrades such as Peninsula Corridor. Guess I'll have to start shuffling things round if these updates come out before the fix though.

Other than being really annoying and time consuming I don't think this will cause any technical issues though, so you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I have all the UK routes and dlc apart from Isle of Wright and the 1938 stock installed as well as all the German routes upto Dresden Chemnitz.

I tend not to keep uninstall going and installing as its quite tedious and starting to be a pain.
    BUT I do use the PS4 version of TSW2 thats installed on a 4gb external drive on the ps5. I have every bit of dlc on tge ps4 version. So occasionally stream the ps4 version.

Hentis.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. I’ll probably swap a few out over the next week or so to test how I find it and how fast it is before deciding whether to get any more routes just now. I was already over the limit when the issue started, having nearly all the routes and loco DLC up to Rush Hour releasing. I am up to the point where any more deletions will affect layers and substitutions on the stuff I’ve kept on so if I do decide to go ahead and swap around it’ll end up being a constant process, which is what has been putting me off so far. I’ve been able to live without some routes and a break in purchasing has allowed me to really get to grips with London Commuter and revisit some neglected content but I am all about the variety and I’m feeling left out in cold as far as newer stuff goes.

16. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I keep all my German DLC and my favourite UK DLCs installed. That covers about 80% of my playing time. The rest I just load when I want to play and then remove it again when I’m done.

It won’t stop me buying new DLC but it does make me more selective. I haven’t bought Sherman Hill, now it’s reduced, as I won’t play it that often so it’s not worth swapping it in and out for the amount I‘ll play it. I probably will get the new gameplay pack as that adds to routes that I play often.

It really helps having fast internet. If I didn’t then I would be finding this a lot more frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I’m right on the limit, so not needing to worry just yet, but I’ve decided not to purchase anything more until it’s fixed. I’m longing for a fix to appear before spirit of steam, but there have been other dlc I wanted but learned to live without.

• Like Like x 1
  18. benuildo

benuildo Member

I haven't played the game since 4 month and I will not play it until this is fixed. :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I think it's a pretty simple process on the PS5, as long as you have decent broadband. Certainly removing DLC is a lot easier than on PS4. I think I'm still just under the limit so it hasn't affected me yet, and there's nothing recent that I'm actually interested in so I'm safe for now!

I'd consider WCL, but it seems like the train is still rubbish and there are no trophies, so that's out. Noticed Sherman in the sale, but those long, empty freight routes aren't my bag. Maybe Harlem will tick enough boxes for me to buy, and we'll see if the issue is resolved by then.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I'm just glad it's easier to just the delete the DLC you don't want on PS5. PS4 was a pain. But for German routes, it's almost a the stage where you need all the routes you own installed if you want all the layers.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

True. One of the routes I uninstalled was RT since I never use it. That also meant that I lost access to my 182, however.

22. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Like many, I've left on the German and UK routes - taken the rest off, including UK routes like Cathcart and IOW that don't layer into anything. I think I've reached the limit of what I can remove without affecting the routes I keep

23. antony.henley

Like I said earlier its just the isle of wright and the 1938 stock for me. But i recently took off the loco DLC for Sandpatch Grade (I cant remember the loco name itself). as well as taking off Boston Sprinter, which I did like. Its slight concerning when this expansion update for the 3 core routes will be released on whether it will fit. Although I don't think I will see the Clinchfield SD40 as I no longer have the CRR installed on the PS5. I am literally to the point of Mr Creosote "Wafer thin Mint" moment in Monty Python (look it up on You Tube if you haven't seen it already. Its excellent). So yeah I will be buying as I have the PS4 version installed as well but I'd prefer to be playing on the PS5.
    I have been seriously toying with removing Rapid Transit as I kind of find it boring. But then I loose the DB Red BR182 as a layer.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  24. simontreanor81

Hopefully the expansion pack will be quite a small download - it's routes that make the biggest dent.

25. TinTin_57

I also had to lose Rapit Transit as part of this issue and regrettably, the 182 as a result which I really enjoy

26. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i have deleted routes all american ones as i find them boring but i do like doing sand patch and peninsular corridor but still deleted them. i have kept all german and UK routes on. im not playing so much these days because of the 64 gig limit and DTG excuses of not upgrading routes and fixes. my heart is slowly dying in this game until things are resolved.

27. benuildo

benuildo Member

The fix is in testing now for almost 2 months. DTG Natster Can you give us a little update? An approximate time frame? Please.

28. antony.henley

The last bit of info Mat said was on Tuesday in the road map. Where the first version worked but not as well as they hoped for, so they are re doing it slightly differently, but this week the engineer dealing with it is off sick. No timeframes were given.

Hentis

29. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’ve been swapping stuff around but it’s a bit of a pain knowing when you may breach the 64gb limit. Also rush hour seems to be a single bundle so removing Boston, for example, in isolation doe not seem to help

• Like Like x 1
  30. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Yes I do, and frankly it's a pain in the nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  31. TinTin_57

I did fleetingly consider buying Sherman Hill in the sale but with this issue still hanging around all these months I just have no urge to at all. Things have changed drastically for me

32. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Basically I have the same routes always installed and these are the ones that add layers. That is, the 10 German routes with all their DLC are non-negotiable. Then ECW and NTP which add load and railtour layers to SEHS and in turn this + GWE which add layers to London Conmuter. With BKL and SPG, which I can't uninstall, that makes 17.
    At most I can have another 2 installed, which are the ones that don't add layers and I switch between them. Right now, for example, I have 8 uninstalled: LGV, LIRR, ARL, PC, TVL, GCC, IOW, OSD.
    All this also means that I have to be very selective with new purchases.

In short, I am not happy with this situation

• Like Like x 3
  33. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

That's one of the most disappointing things about this - I'd sack those two off in a heartbeat just to free up some drive space!

• Like Like x 1
  34. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Removing those routes might help free up space but even if we could remove them, you wouldn't gain any more space for DLC because they are part of the core game and therefore not counted towards the 64GB DLC limit.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

It would be great if DTG would utilize the PS5's Kraken Compression Tech to make the game and DLCs smaller overall.

For example Dying Light 2 released last week on PS4/PS5 and the Xbox range. The PS5 file size is 25Gb installed while the other platform are almost twice that. The PS4 version of the game with smaller lower rez textures is a larger install and all the down to Tech Land using Kraken on PS5.

It could be a way out for DTG but I know they are not too hot about PS5 as a platform currently.

• Like Like x 2
  36. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

At the moment, I just have the core game installed on my PS5 despite owning everything up to and including Rush Hour.

My laptop is currently my main platform for TSW2 and I have all the released DLC installed on that platform. I usually just do a service or two of Bakerloo when I’m on the PS5 before playing whatever game I’m focused on (currently Spider-Man)

I’m hoping to switch to PS5 as my main platform once that DLC limit problem has been fixed. I work from home on a laptop all day for my job, spending some of my evening on my gaming laptop playing games at the very same desk I work from doesn’t feel great.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I did jiggle routes around, but to be honest, since this issue started, I’ve lost a lot of enjoyment in the game. There are just too many issues and more keep getting added all the time. Fortunately work is keeping me busy so I don’t have much playtime now anymore anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  38. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

People talk about this issue like it's the end of the world. I certainly agree it's an issue but I can think of at least 20 things that bother me more about this game. I thankfully haven't HAD to uninstall anything yet, on account of me simply not buying every single add on. However I do tend to uninstall a couple things just to free up space on my console anyway or if I haven't played it in a long time. If I haven't touched a route in months I'd rather it not be hogging up space on the main menu. I don't mind reinstalling things from time to time either, in my experience single routes download pretty quickly, and loco DLC even quicker. However I know not everyone's internet is the same so that may just be me.

39. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It isn’t an issue for you because you haven’t had it affect you yet. It’s more of an issue for people who would end up having to swap out their DLC daily to play the game like they wish. It isn’t as much of an issue for people who don’t need or want to play all their content or don’t have that much anyway. Nobody is talking about it being the end of the world but for many people it is the biggest issue in the game right now. Nothing else has ever stopped me from buying content that I want, so it is a pretty big deal. There are many other things wrong with the game too but this is the big one for me right now, hence this thread asking how people are getting on with having to swap things in and out.

• Like Like x 6
  40. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

It's not the end of the world, but just say for example that you have most of the dlc and aren't focused particularly on one country or type of train or service but just fancy driving a route to suit your mood. Then it is an issue.

I'm not a massive railfan, I just love the game and have some favourite routes (NTP, TVL, LIRR, for example) but sometimes I might want to run an S-Bahn route for the scenery or a US freight route for the solitude, then it becomes a hassle when I realise I need to uninstall and reinstall a route.

The sooner it's fixed the better.

• Like Like x 2
  41. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Haven't brought anything since the 313 released and some times d o swoop routes and trains but not that much

42. james.caton

james.caton Member

I've got fed up on keeping on swapping routes on the ps5 and it still looks like its going to be many months away for a fix for the dlc limit so I've installed the ps4 version of tsw2 on the ps5 and installed the other routes on that i didn't have downloaded so now i have two versions of tsw on my ps5 and now i can use all my routes I've purchased without having to redownload and swapping routes. Also playing the ps4 version on the ps5 plays very smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s a very clever solution for now.

44. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

I personally play by trophies required, so I have all the German content plus Arosa which I need to finish installed. Once that’s all done I’ll remove it all and install either all the US routes (plus Oakville) or all the British routes and work through all of them in a block.

Thankfully I’ve got almost all the routes and trains now that come with trophies and since the trophy limit problem seems to have gone very quiet, I don’t think I’ll need to worry too much about more trophies (and newer routes) moving forward.

45. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

hmm an option for some, and I played the 4 version on the 5 for a long time. Those loading times though… :o With the profile transfer nowhere in sight just started on the 5 a fresh and play 98% of the time. Enjoying playing all routes again. Mostly :cool:

46. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

But you won’t get all the layers on the PS4 version of the game, so you still lose something.

47. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you don't have to uninstall the whole game if you are on PS5. Just hold the option button, then from the list click manage addons and you can pick which addons are installed or not.

48. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It might be handy for those routes that don’t have any layers from other routes. There are quite a lot of them. The only real solution is the official fix but until then workarounds are all we have and none are going to give you everything you want.

• Like Like x 1
  49. simontreanor81

The EP is about 460MB, which has tipped me over the edge again - fortunately I was able to remove LGV Med, but that's the last addon that doesn't have dependency on any others.

50. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Well, I went ahead and bought Sherman Hill in the sale and will buy the New Journey pack at some point soon. I have uninstalled Clinchfield and Cathcart Circle for now to accommodate them. After this, I’ll be swapping routes as and when I need to play something that isn’t currently installed, which is a huge number of DLC now. Unavoidable for me now if I want to enjoy TSW2 my way. It is certainly making it easier to wait for sales to get routes though, which is the only current upside to this issue, but I can’t wait forever for new stuff.

• Like Like x 1