Should Tsw3 Be For Pc/steam/epic Only?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Feb 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Just a thought with all the recent delays for preservation crew, ps4 upgrade mess ,knackered textures for xbox and ps5 limits is now a sensible point to kiss console goodbye?

Would certainly make dev of the game smoother, a sharper focus, maybe increase dlc price to £40 a head to compensate for losing console?

Maybe a closer relationship with Modders too?

Just really focus in on PC make it a game that has the ability to prise in the casual gamer.

Positive vibes, all thoughts welcome

• Like Like x 2
  2. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

No. That would lose dtg far too much money. No one would pay £75 for a game and per dlc to make up for the lost earnings on console. And that dlc price is likely to be an underestimate due to extra tax

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Absolutely not!

The mere suggestion is ridiculous and impractical, and frankly I don't fancy having my hands tied to buy a better pc to continue playing the game I enjoy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 18
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Not at all. Especially as the larger player base is on console.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Skyz2020

That is factually correct, however the question is a higher price for DLC could counter the loss of custom.

The game feels like it needs a sharp focus and PC only would drive that :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skyz2020

Reasons?

7. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Business. No company would even think of cutting off 2/3s of income

• Like Like x 13
  8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Doubt it would be an economically sensible decision.
    We already know PC is best, but we must be compassionate and refrain from looking down on our less fortunate brethren.

• Like Like x 2
  9. trainsimplayer

Do I have to explain them. I really don't feel like sitting here for 10 minutes...

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t feel less fortunate having a PS5 - other than the DLC/Trophy issue on TSW 2 - the PS5 is an awesomely powerful piece of kit.

PS. If I wanted a top of the range PC, I could buy one today. They just don’t float my boat.

• Like Like x 9
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes. TSW3 should be for PC only. DTG should abandon the vast majority of their player base and a huge amount of their income and then develop some less detailed and shorter route DLC for PC at a much higher cost per DLC to the remaining players. They can reduce their workforce size and put lots of people out of a job and the directors and investors can kiss goodbye to those ivory backscratchers they have had their eyes on. Everybody wins.

• Like Like x 29
  12. trainsimplayer

I wouldn't say PC is the best. Gen 9 consoles are for the most part on a par, when it comes to TSW. Although I'll give you a bonus point for mods.

• Like Like x 3
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

TSW 5 or 6 but not the next one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I think everyone agrees that consoles are dragging the potential of this game way down, but unfortunately TSW won't be PC only.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

2/3 of the player base is on console, and unless it's changed recently, the vast majority of those are still on 8th gen. That kind of move would be made if and when it makes economic sense to cut off those branches, which is definitely not now.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

No, I much prefer playing on console even with the issues - I have a high end gaming PC and it really isn't that much better than my consoles.

Plus as DTG have said in the past two thirds of the player base are on console. Given the non existent sales for xbox and the lower discounts on PS5 compared to Steam. that means at least two thirds of their income comes from console.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ridiculous uninformed concept.
    Most players are on console (Sam said ages ago it's split 33% each between PC, PS and XBox (so 66% console)), many people don't have high powered PCs (I don't, but then I don't care my machine maxes out at about 23fps when the console can sit consistently at 60), and of course it would be a backward step for DTG and their third parties none of which had a console presence until TSW
    I spose it goes to show that the PC master race are still peddling their twaddle after all these years

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Probably not, because when you raise the price to cover the cost of cutting off 2/3 of your income, you risk pricing out many people in the remaining 1/3. They might (and probably will) drop gen 8 support for TSW3 if you're lucky.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

The way the ongoing supply issues are going, they may be also dropping Gen 9 support in favor of Gen 10 by that time.

• Like Like x 3
  20. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

A lot of Train Sim World’s appeal is that it’s the only proper train simulation game on console. I don’t have a PC and I’m in no financial state to buy one, and I’m sure many of the console-only crowd would feel a bit betrayed. The potential of Train Sim on PC is big, but that can be made in the form of improvements to Train Simulator. Cutting off the Console players is almost elitist in a sense.

• Like Like x 10
  21. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

First of all, don't give them ideas for a TSW3, lol. Train Simulator being rebranded each year is ridiculous already, there is no need to occasionally re-release the same game. It's ridiculous, just feels like a monay grab and makes everything more confusing. The release of TSW2 was already pretty controversial. Keep updating the core game, but don't re-release it again.

And no, console support shouldn't be dropped. A compenent developer should be able to produce their games for all platforms (especially if given a platform independent game engine, like Unreal Engine). And as being one of the leaders in train simulator development, I think DTG counts as a competent developer. Sure, there are many quality issues, but they need to learn and develop further, not give up and forget it.

• Like Like x 6
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The whole bloody point of TSW is to bring train simming to console.

• Like Like x 13
  23. Dinosbacsi

Well not really, the point of TSW is simply to replace the aging TS platform. It also started as a PC only route, only getting console releases afterward. But yes, the console access is a big selling point for it.

• Like Like x 7
  24. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I have a top notch PC sitting in the corner gathering dust as I prefer playing on my Series X. Looking a few years ahead, the mid-gen console releases will be surely be out by the time TSW3 releases (if not gen 10).

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The original CSX/HH was released as a public beta. The first legit "game release," TSW(1), was cross-platform, as was intended from the start.

26. Clumsy Pacer

No it wasn't. TSW launched in March 2017 on Steam only. Console support came at least a year later, at which point it was relaunched on Steam.

• Like Like x 5
  27. Dinosbacsi

Well, you can give that top-notch PC to me if you want. Surely better than it just collecting dust, right? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like Like x 4
  28. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Hah, my answer as somebody never will buy any type of console and only use pc is: For sure not! By the way are you checking your gasoline level with a lighter?

This topic is a bit like "steam era is over", so why produce any content with steam locomotives. Console players are however even a bigger playerbase than pc users, so it would call this a success.

They have other difficulties like a fix hardware and dlc limits, but it wouldnt make any sense to stop that business. Also i dont think at all, that any content gets braked out by a platform. The only thing is the hardware limitations, which is happening because tech moves on. In this case Old gen doesnt get the same experience. But thats not a surprising thing to be honest.

29. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I do have a slightly conflicted view on this, as a PC only player my vested interest is to see DTG exploit the potential of the PC platform to its best extent. However the economic arguments for continuing console support, as noted already, are pretty much rock solid - no console version = no TSW. That said, I don't see why the PC shouldn't get some benefit from the additional processing and storage capabilities, which is no different to what other multi platform games have done over the years. Go back to the PS1 and games like Transport Tycoon or Rally Championship (1999) were released on the console but in a cut down and heavily optimised version.

If TSW3 is on the radar what DTG need to do is get their gameface on and start considering some of the more logical and sensible suggestions about the direction of the product that have been put forward - longer routes, routes made with a view to future merging, serious makeovers and extensions to existing routes etc. Not to mention reliability and quality improvements.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Simple answer, no.

• Like Like x 1
  31. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's devisive question.

Speaking as someone that owns a PC and PS5, I only play on PS5, even with its current issues and the fact I picked up the free Epic version. I much prefer the "lean back" chilled console experience than the "lean in" PC experience so probably wouldn't move over if it was PC only.

The best way to make the game better is to keep holding DGT to account and make improvement suggestions as a community. Arguing which platform is the most appropriate just wastes time and energy.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Haha you can fight it out with my son, he will be using it from next month for his flight simming.
    Seriously though, for general gaming I do prefer the simplicity of a console. I wouldn’t have considered it before gen 9, but now you get a PC-like experience (good resolution, good framerate) without the hassle and expense.

• Like Like x 2
  33. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I really do understand where your coming from and I kinda agree, but like everyone here mentioned console has the largest percentage of players here, which is where the profit is coming from. I also at first also agree with your statement but you do have to realize this is a business, and in order for a business to grow they have to try and get their platform to other platforms as well in order to make money. I myself am kinda surprised to hear console have the largest player compared to pc and older generation,

I would have thought that Pc was going to get a huge amount of players, but the outcome wasn't, but then again I am not surprised, with the newer console, especially with their graphic card. I am also frustrated that these brand new consoles are weighting down PC players in terms of the team can't do so much stuff due to the fact that Sony and Microsoft have a rule that the Team must follow, in order to put their game on to the platform. These company should really change their rule so that these console doesn't have any limitation at all that prevents, the console player from having the same experience as a PC user, such as more AI Train, layering, and other features that PC Have, but Unfortunately, we all know is not, and that's why PC is limited at this time.

Hopefully, in the future, Microsoft and Sony would change the rule and allow the DTG Team to do their job without any limitation, or the team can find a way around this, and find a solution soon so that they can't get back onto produce more route, features and other stuff that we want to see in-game. ;)

And Hopefully, they are not going to jump into TSW3 any time soon, because of the mess they are in at this point. I just want to see them keep on bringing more new features, routes, Core Update to this game, and make this one product instead of so many versions unless there's a good reason to move on to the next version.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  34. Skyz2020

Yes the AI layering is most wonderful on PC, nothing like seeing Victoria awash with different subs, 313, 465 etc.

I think also that this aspect, the power of the PC with some higher costs and focus would help TSW take the next leap.

A bold leap to TSW3 for PC, for Moders and for a slightly smaller community that will grow again.

Maybe a bit of legacy support for console.. say 3 months, final patch notes... maybe a free livery to say thank you for the support... no hard feelings and all that.

But thank you for the reply here, most useful particularly the bit on sony limits.

Also thank you for all replies so far, I have read with interest, I think the PC crowd should not have to live in fear of console... it might be time to say goodbye, ... a quite goodbye with reverence and respect for profits delivered so far... we thank you .. but now time to take this thing to the next level :)

35. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Many folk can't afford powerful PC systems to run games and settle for a console instead because all you need is a TV screen and not expensive monitors, mice, keyboards etc.
    Another thing to consider is that some folk using a PC can't afford to upgrade their components to the latest specs and are running systems that can be many years old (you PC lot refer to them as potatoes). So, those saying it should be PC only and that consoles are holding the PC version back should be considering that quite a majority of PC players will most likely be using older hardware.

Personally I prefer TSW on the console because I can play it whilst chilling out sprawled out on my reclining sofa with a controller whereas with playing on PC, I have to be sat upright with a keyboard and mouse in front of me to get full functionality out of the game.

I started gaming in around 1990 and have had mostly console systems since then as that is how I prefer to play. Yes, I've had PCs and laptops but even when at uni, my laptops struggled to play games and the home PCs we had during that time were not far off basic spec so couldn't really run most games (except the built in MS games like solitaire).

It is highly unlikely that DTG will abandon 2/3rds of its player base and revenue stream just because PC players see themselves as "The Master Race", above everyone else and superior to people who use other systems to play games on.

• Like Like x 5
  36. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

TSW 3 is not even a thing so I dont think this is a thing that needs discussion. Consoles are 2/3 of the playerbase and therefore it wouldnt be a smart decision to cut them of. And although I am playing on PC I think its a good idea to have this game being on consoles too since as a railfan I like the idea of having people getting in touch with railways that dont have any touching points with it.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Dinosbacsi

How is a big-ass TV less expensive than a regular monitor, lol? And mice and keyboard can be bought from a few bucks.

• Like Like x 3
  38. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I can't take this suggestion seriously. SMDH. Business is business and this suggestion is business suicide. It is a no starter.

• Like Like x 3
  39. trainsimplayer

We get that on Gen 9 consoles as well. Though not sure where to find a 313 at Victoria :)

But modders aren't the be all and end all. The win-win-win for DTG, Players (primarily console) and Modders is for DTG to do some more outreach to them, like they have with London Midland's sky mod, although that's not out yet.

That way modders work is accessable to everyone, to an extent, and it improves everyone's support.
    Also, I don't know how ⅓ of the community is "slightly" smaller than the entire community, but you do you.

Are you having a laugh?
    Yeah, you have to be!

Even you your post contradicts virtually all of them? I can't tell if you mean this or if you say it to sound reasonable.

Yep, that's the confirmation I needed. It's a joke thread. That's my sarcastic way of saying "it's a crazy idea".

Also, PC players don't have to "live in fear" of console. Just curious, have the BBC asked you to write a script for a new soap or what?

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Clumsy Pacer

How many people are buying TVs specifically for use with consoles? People will likely already have one, and use it for other purposes (like being a TV).

• Like Like x 6
  41. box215

box215 Active Member

you act like XSX and PS5 dont have the exact same layering as PC
    and let's just ignore the fact that the gen 9 consoles are more powerful than a lot of the PCs PC players use
    your post comes across as incredibly ignorant, arrogant and condescending all at the same time (incredible)
    really not a good look
    bottom line this is really a pointless thread because DTG arent going to drop console support
    why not just go and play TS - there's the PC only experience you seem to so desperately crave

• Like Like x 8
  42. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

If you wanna kill off two thirds of the player bas then yes, of course it’s a good idea…

43. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

No chance of consoles being cut, sorry, not even a small chance :)

I personally play on console more than PC these days (not just TSW), my PC will cost far too much to upgrade just to match what my Series X can do... so why spend the money when the X is already sitting there? heck - the Series S can probably match my PC and that's £249.

If you want a PC-only train simulation experience, I invite you to take a look at Train Simulator 2021 - that's PC only and still going strong.

TSW will remain a diverse cross platform game.

Matt.

• Like Like x 29
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  44. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Ok, a 4K TV starts at around £250 for a 43". A 4K 28" monitor starts at around £300. So that's less functionality and less size for £50 more. I know which one I'd prefer.
    My PC happily runs 4K resolution on my 55" TV and it cost much less than a monitor. Oh, and I can also watch live TV, video on demand and use my cable box with said TV too. Can't do that with a PC monitor without expensive add-ons or buying an expensive monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

The problem is that when you fire it up, you get back to 2004 immediately and my eyes can't bear it :D

• Like Like x 5
  46. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Just take your computer and walk out. MOST or Half of TSW players are on console,DTG would lose A LOT of money, Plus that would be really disrespectful to console players and dedicated and hardcore fans of TSW

47. Skyz2020

This is valid. TS is very 2010s ... at best

48. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

To all console players: please don't assume that this trolling post represents the attitude of the majority of PC players. I recognize that, without the many console players, there would be no TSW. And there is no " PC Master Race " for goodness sake. We all, PC and console players alike, share a love of trains and the game which allows us to drive them all over the world.

So, please, quit feeding this troll- post. Its only purpose is to wind everyone up and cause an argument.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  49. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It’s actually about 1/3 PS, 1/3 Xbox, and 1/3 PC according to a fairly recent stream. 2/3 are therefore console customers, which just goes to show that Dovetail did the smart thing by bringing the game out on these platforms.

P.S. I’m hoping SCS Software will do the same so console users can also drive trucks! ;)

50. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Player Balance is a another factor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.