Grilled Cheese

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nockwurst, Jan 30, 2022.

?

Peanut butter in a grilled cheese?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2022.
  1. The Devil’s Food!

83.3%
  2. I’m ashamed to say I’m intrigued.

16.7%
  1. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Peanut butter is surprisingly good in a grilled cheese sandwich. True story.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Peanut butter and cucumber is good eating.

3. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Another existential question has been answered. Finally!
    You heard it here first. :cool:

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A cheese toastie should only contain cheese.

Peanut butter should remain in the jar, shoved to the back of the cupboard, and be thrown out (unopened*) when several years out of date. That’s how we do it here in Britain :D

*As far as I know Brits only ever use peanut butter as bait on rat traps, never as food for themselves, so the jar may have been opened and one tiny spoonful removed if an unwanted furry visitor has ever come from behind the bath panel and taken up residence in the under stairs cupboard.

• Like Like x 3
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I recall Peanut butter being a thing in the 80's, I couldn't stand it then and would rather poke my eyes out with a rusty nail than entertain putting it on anything resembling food! Ham though, that is a different matter.

6. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I have never outgrown peanut butter & jelly (or sometimes honey) sandwiches. Can't imagine putting it in grilled cheese, though. What is good in grilled cheese is chorizo.

My mom would also put a dollop of peanut butter on an apple slice or a celery stick. I liked it on apple, but I've never cared much for celery.

How Brits can claim the culinary high ground by not eating peanut butter while eating Marmite is beyond me. Possibly the former is used on rat traps because even the vermin won't touch the latter?

7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

But a cheese and ham toastie should contain both cheese and ham, and is far superior to an all-cheese affair.
    Whaaaaaat?! I bloody love peanut butter! Have it on toast and bagels all the time. It's prime fuel for cycling.
    Marmite - that's the devil's food.

• Like Like x 3
  8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I don't remember being introduced to peanut butter but it would have been in the '70s. My mum got a taste for it during or after the War when it made up some of her rations. My dad and my sister don't like it at all. My grandfather on Dad's side liked it but he ate it like jam so on buttered bread which had us all baffled.

9. nockwurst

No dislike button. Lol.

10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Almost accurate. What actually happens is that you see the jar in the supermarket and think, “ooh I haven’t had that since I was a kid”. You buy it and use it once and once only. You think “Mmm. That was nice, I’ll have to have that more often.” THEN, you put it in the cupboard where it remains for several years before being discovered and thrown out because it has gone mouldy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Peanut butter is another thing that should be disinvented. Think about the relief for all the allergics.

12. nockwurst

Is peanut butter not a thing in the UK? Didn’t realize that. My in-laws are English, but my wife was born in Canada.
    Peanut butter would be my desert island food lol.

13. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It certainly is a thing in the UK although I think it’s more kids that eat it. I bought some myself recently for the first time in years and quite enjoyed it (it’s in the cupboard now - see my post above).

One thing we don’t tend to have is the abomination that is peanut butter and jelly (or jam as we call it). :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ooh, you can't be serious. Peanut butter and ( grape ) jelly sandwiches are a staple food in the US. You can actually buy them premixed in the jar.

However, the idea of putting peanut butter in a grilled cheese sandwich is sacrilege.
    Besides, wouldn't it liquefy in the fry pan. Ooh, I can't think about it, it makes my teeth hurt. The only thing you should add to a GCS is maybe diced tomato.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Pro-tip - if you stop calling it a grilled cheese sandwich then you're no longer limited in the flavour combinations.

Any Brit/Aussie/Kiwi can regale you with a million-and-one different toastie/jaffle recipes, from egg to baked beans or tinned spaghetti to the classic ham/cheese/tomato. And the benefit of the jaffle is that it seals the edges so you can still have a semi-liquid filling.

16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Canned spaghetti in a sandwich??!! I'm about to barf!!

17. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Think of it like a Hot Pocket, but with bread (still sealed though)

18. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

That´s why English cuisine books are the thinnest in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

20. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I remember trying Bacon in a Grilled cheese once, it was good but idk how much I Trust a Grille Peanut Butter and Cheese sandwich would taste