Anyone Else Having Difficulty With The 612?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mcskimmingj, Feb 10, 2022.

1. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

Let me start off by saying this is not a complaint or a rant of criticism or anything like that it's simply a friendly discussion I love tharandter Rampe and the 612 it's so fun to drive but for some reason I am struggling to get used to driving it lol it seems to require more attention to keep to timetable and speed limits which is always a good thing in my book keeps the drive more involved just wondering is this just me or are others also finding it a little tough to get the hang of no doubt once I'm fully used to it it'll be easy lol again not complaining just curious and before anyone says it I guess I have to "git gud" lol

• Like Like x 3
  2. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

mcskimmingj you are not alone. Add me to the list of having a struggle to get to grips with this beasty/beauty of a train. I asked at first if the throttle is meant to be that slow to raise it to 100% and got a simple answer but I already knew it was different to an electric…but it really is a completely different way of driving and full throttle (to ensure a comfortable ride, chuckle) isn’t the way forward but controlled power all the way. I personally prefer the brake to reverse power on the main stick..

OP, thank you for posting as difficult not to voice this now shared opinion without it looking like a moan or a new user question :)

to the masters of the 612, I’d/we’d love to hear your driving tips and methods used.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

My biggest problem was getting used to the very slow RPM (and power) build up, which meant I usually would massively undershoot the speed I wanted after slowing down, resulting a very bad just accelerate/brake driving, which I'm sure wouldn't do the train or passenger any favors, to combat this I now use this technique:

For example slowing down from 140 to 100km/h

------at ~140km/h
    -Throttle decrease until at 0% (not going to off directly)
    -Dynamic brake increase between 80 and 100%
    -----at ~115-120km/h
    -Dynamic brake decrease between 3 and 10%
    ------at ~110-115km/h
    -Dynamic brake to 0%
    ------at ~105-110km/h
    -Start to apply throttle to get ~60-80% power by the time the speed is is about 96 or 97 km/h which should roughly be what you need to hold the speed.

Of course doing this on a downhill is much simpler, as you don't need throttle after you reached your new desired speed so only dynamic brake modulation is needed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

Thank you for the response it definitely is more involved and I like that about the 612 and yeah I didn't want my post to seem like I was complaining was just curious if anyone else had similar experiences getting started with it lol its a pleasure to drive when you start to get used to it

• Like Like x 1
  5. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

Thank you for your reply that isn't a bad idea I'll give that a shot I still kind of have trouble maintaining speed and not consistently breaking and throttling lol I enjoy the learning curve

• Like Like x 1
  6. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

Yes it's difficult to drive and requires alot of concentration. One of the reasons I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

The route is designed to have alot of speed ups and downs too. That is also why it is difficult to drive. Even in the Talent 2 and 143 you don't get much time to focus on the scenery you are so busy.

It definately gives a different style of play than a standard route one of the reasons it is one of my favourites.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Love the 612. I always drive it with GST, PZB, Sifa and the tilt function enabled and going around corners at a higher speed than the 143 is fun! Thinking of making a scenario on scenario planner on Dresden-Riesa and put the 612 on the avoiding line and open the throttle up.

9. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

Same for me that is what I love about it too adds more immersion and concentration

10. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

It's definitely one of my favourite routes for that very reason also I love a more involved driving experience

11. mcskimmingj

mcskimmingj Member

That would be a great idea and be really fun

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A glaring omission in the route is no tutorial for GST/GNT (and no mention in the general tutorial). Yes, I know, just drive the GNT limit in the right screen (or in the HUD).

But what does the indicator symbology mean? In particular, what does it mean when a red light comes on, and then when it starts flashing? This usually happens when I'm well below the speed limit, so I don't think it's an overspeed thing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. iriv#7314

iriv#7314 New Member

14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There is an interesting but quite wordy video tutorial, on a youtube channel. I forget the name of the channel which isn't particularly helpful, I think he is a German youtuber. He has some interesting videos covering aspects of signalling and safety systems on TSW3 routes, UK and US and others too, not just German routes.

15. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I guess you are talking about tygerways#2596 and his lovely ultra helpful YouTube Channel

https://youtube.com/@tygerways6615

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes this is he. I couldn't remember his name, I have him bookmarked at home! I only discovered his channel recently but I do love his videos and as you say they are very helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Thank you guys! Very happy to hear. :)

• Like Like x 1