Anyone Found A Fix Yet For The Broken Brake Sounds In The Boston Sprinter Mbta Trains?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by space_ace96, Feb 14, 2022.

1. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

Has anyone else experienced and/or found a fix for the brake sounds on the MBTA trains? Since one of the Boston Sprinter updates, both the F40PH and the cab car, applying the brakes in any amount, even a minimum reduction causes the air sound to play continuously until the brakes are released. It's annoying in the F40ph but in the cab car, it's pretty much unplayable. I put in a bug report like two months ago and DTG responded back basically saying they've known about it for a while and closed my ticket because it was reported before. We've had multiple patches including the new ACS64 livery and they still haven't done anything about the brake sounds. I really want to play more of this route, but I've only been able to do the Amtrak services. Is anyone else experiencing it and has anyone found a way to perhaps temporarily fix it?

• Like Like x 8
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I guess I really never noticed that problem, not saying it isn’t a discrepancy, but surely would not put in in a “game breaking” or “unplayable” category since I run that route a lot and never once had to quit a run because of it. I do hope they get it fixed for you soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I have noticed the problem, and it is very annoying. Having a neverending hissing sound the whole time the brakes are applied (even while stationary) might not be technically game-breaking, but it certainly makes me avoid driving F40PH and cab car.

Maybe we will get a quick fix in 6months...becasue that's roughly how long we're waiting for the Rapid Transit Talent 2 PZB fix....

• Like Like x 7
  4. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I was wondering: how you don't notice any bug on any route?

Everytime you reply on the forums, you always say "I haven't got this bug". Quite sus.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

And your problem, I have noticed you have quite the habit of having to comment negatively on many of my post. Almost as if you want to argue, just to argue. Sorry, but I didn’t notice this particular problem to the OP brought it to my attention. If you want to have a go over that have fun ..

I am probably more tolerant of little nits and imperfections, I chose to look at the positives instead of the negatives and definitely laugh at the drama-queen type statements of “it makes my eyes bleed” and “I have to plug my ears”. I also question statement as “it is unplayable” when it obviously isn’t.

If you have a problem with that outlook, then not much I can do about that. I hope it doesn’t upset your apple cart too much and in the future we can stick to discussion of issues.

6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have pretty much every route in TSW2 and none of them are actually "unplayable " from my personal perspective. They all have bugs and some can be annoying, like this one. Others have poor lighting and headlights, sound issues and inaccuracies in signalling and safety systems.

So we all have different levels of tolerance and that's to be expected. But I think, if you want to play the game regularly, you have to mentally draw the line between major and minor issues. If you cannot tolerate what most of us consider minor issues, like this one, you will be forever frustrated, because many of them may never be corrected. You may need to choose a different hobby unless you enjoy bashing your head against a wall.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I have to join the complaining crowd, ever since this bug appeared, I havn't driven the MBTA services at all. And since I preferred those on the route, it meant that now I'm avoiding the whole route altogether now.

• Like Like x 4
  8. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

It feels like Boston is one of the routes where the sound issues are very likely noticed and particularly regarding the cab car I personally would consider them very major.
    You know something is not quite right when your ears feel the same like the aftermath of a metal concert near the speakers after a ride from Stoughton to Boston... just at normal volume in this case. The sound drop outs of the coaches or the F40 brakes are annoying like the sound loop bug which is more present in Boston as in any other recent release, but at least they're not a physically painful experience (except of some funny sound loop issues). I really hope this will be looked into someday - maybe alongside the Acela release? ;) - as I really want to enjoy the route with every available driving opportunity but if the sound of the cab car tries to hurt me while driving that's an impossible task...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It's because they used the same sound set up from the Caltrain Gallery cab car, which has manually lapped brakes, but the CTC-3 does not.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i would also complain that the brake hissing on one of the Amtrak trains was annoying as well. I don't know if that is how it is in the real train as well, if not, hopefully, the team can do something with this train and pleasing to the player such as myself. I only drive it because of the route.

• Like Like x 1
  11. space_ace96

Look y'all I'm willing to put up with a lot of imperfections, but I have fairly sensitive hearing so the loud nonstop hissing whenever brakes are applied just bothers me more than most things in the game, and while it isn't literally unplayable, it makes it hard to enjoy the route and avoid driving those trains for one's with less glaring problems. It's also frustrating that this only started happening when DTG patched the route, yet they don't seem interested in addressing it. I know they need to focus on new content, but they've patched Boston at least a few times now without acknowledging this.

• Like Like x 3
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While they're at it, they should fix the signaling and ACS/ACSES; for me, anyway, Boston really is unplayable until they do. Hissing brakes I could live with.

• Like Like x 4
  13. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

What I was always wondering and maybe has been answered sometime in the past is if the deeper signal configuration plays a role here? It happens on other routes as well that the departing signal of a station shows red until you're ready to go. With ATC (esp.) and ACSES being such dynamic systems would that cause the unneccessary speed restrictions?
    If that's the case I fear that's a big one...

14. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

In regards to the hissing noise, it is very noticeable (series S), and definitely has caused me to stop using the cab car, especially. There are other threads about this problem, of course. It has only been a recent development; I believe the problem started when the in-cab speed display was fixed. The speed display, of course, became broken when the blank speed boards were fixed. I don't know why the speed boards broke, but you get the idea. In any case, since there's a fairly clear hierarchy to why the brakes now hiss all the time, I feel like it may be something that gets fixed a little quicker. Hopefully?

The restricted aspect/red signal until you've stopped at a station is also a known issue. Someone, I believe it was Matt, explained that this was due to an older way of route design that is no longer done. IIRC, there was a request to post when/where this occurs; apparently, each instance needs to be fixed individually. It does seem to occur very frequently on NEC-BP, though.

15. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

If you want a temporary work around, turn off the ep brake to stop the hissing, brakes still work but not as fast.

• Helpful Helpful x 7
  16. space_ace96

Yeah this has been a bother too, rolling 30 mph for miles only to get a green signal and clear 125 right before the station or after stopping. It's not too bad with Acela because you can get back up to speed quickly but yeah I hope that gets fixed too. I do believe it is tied to the fact that the game only clears you so far ahead at a time, and even less on the busy rush hour routes so you don't gum up other trains if you are late, but ATC/ACSES sees farther than that so if any of the next several signals ahead of you are anything other than clear because you haven't been cleared that far, you get a constant speed restriction even if no trains are ahead of you. I've also noticed the signals gum up the AI sometimes, as I've noticed as of recent updates, trains will get stuck in a line of 2 or 3 trains trying to get up the ramp to the Franklin (I think?) branch at Readville and there's trains sitting there everytime I go past.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Does that just leave you with air brakes? I'm fine with that.

17. Dinosbacsi

I'll also try that, thanks. I suppose it's a breaker switch somewhere?

18. Anthony Pecoraro

Above the windshield.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

Also in the MBTA F40PH-3C, the track noice disappears when the engine is at idle. There are almost no difference in the sounds when the train is moving and when it is stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dinosbacsi

Thanks! Did a run and it really works! I can actually go and drive the route again. The lack of the EP brake is not even noticeable, to be honest.

Funnily enough, the brake hissing is still present where it correctly should be (when air actually flows). So I wonder how did they manage to mess it up and connect air hissing to the EP brake...?

• Like Like x 4
  21. Dinosbacsi

Another thing regarding this whole issue, toggling the EP brake switch to off fixes the hissing, but funnily enough the EB brake itself still remains functional. As you can see in this screenshot, the EP Brake is set to off, yet the locomotive's electric brakes still work when using the automatic brake handle (AMP meter showing braking effort).
    [​IMG]

22. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I too hope this gets fixed soon. I didn't notice it as much in the locomotive but in the cab car it's really insufferable.

I don't know if it's related but another thing I sometimes hear on this route is a very high pitched noise while in the cab, seems to affect both locomotives and the cab car. It seems to be random, sometimes happens after switching to an external camera then going back inside to the first person view. Its a kind of an annoying high pitched noise like your ears are ringing.

DW

23. Dinosbacsi

For the cab car, that is normal and prototypical - I believe this high-pitched noise is generated by the relay of the ditchlights. If you have your ditchlights flashing, you can even hear it cutting in and out as the left and right ditchlights flash.

As for the F40PH, it really seems random, but even that might be prototypical, I don't know.

24. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Yeah, I think I did notice with the cab car that it was related to a light setting.

I've also had it in the ACS-64 but couldn't find a cause, just seemed to come and go sometimes.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

It happens if a cabcar is near, even if you aren't in it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

This mod fixes the ditch light issue:
    https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...i1493-mbta-ctc-3-cabcar-ditchlight-relay-mute

• Like Like x 1
  27. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how it is in the US but in Europe EP brake is just electropneumatic and has no effect on dynamic braking? I'd expect dynamic braking to be a different breaker,but like I said,may be different in US

EDIT: yeah what you're referring to is the dynamic and blended brake,that's a breaker on back panel

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  28. Dinosbacsi

Oh, okay. Then what does the EP brake actually do?

29. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Electro-pneumatic actuation of the brake pipe. Instead of directly controlling the pressure of the equalizing reservoir with the brake handle, the equalizing reservoir pressure is set via electrics which "read" the position of the brake lever.

• Like Like x 1