Are We Really Aware Of What Joe Did At Bml?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by erg73, Feb 15, 2022.

1. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Performance issues meant that I didn't pay much attention to this route at first. Now I'm finally giving it the time it deserves and I can see that what Joe did is really crazy.

The amount of traffic we experience here is unprecedented in TSW. Constantly crossing with other trains, also overtaking or being overtaken, sometimes leaving a station with other trains in parallel, depot movements, coupling and uncoupling units. It's a world that feels LIVE.

Over 4000 services, of which almost 1500 are playable... I mean, what the hell does this guy eat for breakfast?

I can't imagine all the effort and hours he had to invest in this insane project. That's why from here if you read me, Joe, I want to thank you for it. Because one day you set your mind to it and finally made it happen.

THANK YOU JOE BURGESS :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 60
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

The timetable makes BML one the best routes ever made in my opinion.

• Like Like x 12
  3. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

The best for me too. Good sound, graphics and more importantly atmosphere.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It's just a shame that the core game limitations tend to inhibit the full potential of such a complex timetable.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I finally managed to complete a round trip on the 166 today. Reigate > Redhill > Gatwick > Redhill > Reigate without being blocked (permanently) by a red signal at Reigate.

• Like Like x 4
  6. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I agree Joe, he's the best when it comes to creating time table to make the game more alive. He's also working on the Harlem Line, according to Matt, last time on the stream, so hopefully, the final version of this route is going to be so amazing and alive like in the real world. I really do hope that the team will start doing the same as what joe does to all the preserved collection, and the newer one, because that would make the game so much more realistic. Hopefully, this is what the team is doing going forwards this year and so forth.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Joethefish *

8. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Agree, togheter with the fact that the timings are realistic really makes this route special.

• Like Like x 3
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is epic, true :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Lately I've noticed that your posts have been quite negative about the game. Someone who is new to the forum will think you are a hater. :D
    No, seriously, I'm sorry if this is what you mean because I've always followed your posts with interest and you used to be happier with TSW and have defended DTG's work many times that I can remember.
    DTG should take note of people like you, good customers who have lost their enthusiasm because of so many problems that have occurred lately.
    That said, it saddens me that in the thread I created to thank Joe for the great job he did, you have recriminated what has already happened to you on a trip. I mean, there are 1425 services, the unreal thing would be for everything to be perfect, when on routes with 200 services exactly the same thing happens.

Besides, is Joe to blame for this? It could be problems with the dispatcher for example but by putting your complaint in this thread you are defeating the purpose of the thread.

I'm not the one to tell you what to write, neither you nor anyone else, by all means. But there are many open threads to complain and this in my humble opinion is not one of them. I myself suffered a problem yesterday on this route with the 313 and it got stuck on red for a 166 that wouldn't move. But today I open this thread because these problems cannot tarnish the great effort this worker made.

I hope you don't feel bad about what I'm saying and sorry for derailing the thread but it just came out that way. And sorry for my English, I hope I am not misunderstood.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

They need a Joe assigned to every route DLC, possibly two Joes, given the amount of work he does. The level of dedication and creativity is much appreciated.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Have they made optimisations to the route? I find it quite laggy north of East Croydon, and the approach to Victoria is just a slide show. I think it's due to the number of trains, which is a deep shame because it's a very fun timetable.

Sadly, I'm one who's a bit skeptical of Joe's timetables as both Brighton and Chemnitz perform terribly for me in places (in the case of Chemnitz, it's between Dresden and the Rampe - I largely solved that by deleting the other Dresden route, which is making me think it's the sheer amount of traffic). I'll admit that I'm not on the most powerful machine, but I do end up asking questions when most other routes perform fine no matter where I am :/ .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

All the good work Joe has put into the timetable is worthless if the route can’t be played due to a significant number of issues effecting it. I have been really negative of TSW 2 of late, negativity I think is fairly warranted. My earlier post in this thread is positive. Before today, I had not been able to complete a round trip on the 166 - today I could.

• Like Like x 6
  15. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

It's true, I honestly understood the opposite. I have to get serious about English classes. :|

16. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Interesting in that I have run both of the class 66 timetable runs without issues. Do wish Joe could get around to giving us a more filled out freight selection.

• Like Like x 5
  17. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im on pc, didnt have problems with brighton too, except for the reigate 166 services got stuck sometimes.

Maybe because i spawn on foot 5 mins prior to service and never do save the game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Then I'm another one not having any signal related issues on BML. Except one time when I got SPAD while stationary at Victoria and waiting for departure. But it worked fine after restart.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I believe that the cause of fps drop and lag is due to the fact that some people don't have a powerful graphic cards , such as myself which I have the NVidia GTX 760, but I don't know is that the only problem that can be the cause of this?

Can it also be the fact or the route itself, where they are using more memory than needed? I really don't know

20. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Off toptic for this thread, but I have a 5600X and a 3080. I generally run at Ultra setting on a 3840x1440 monitor. Game generally runs well pegged at 60 FPS. But I still get stutters regularly with some routes worse than others (BML in particular) . I *think* the rush hour update (maybe related to the change to UE4.26) did make the stutters alot worse. BUT, even if I run the game on my second monitor at 1920 x 1200 at the lowest possible settings, I STILL get stutters. At these settings, the CPU and GPU afre just twiddling their thumbs. So there is something inherent in the game.Obviously better CPU/GPU improves general performance.

• Like Like x 1
  21. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I too think the timetable is amazing and hope to see more like this. I don't have a supersonic computer (my graphics card is a Nvidia 1060) but the route runs well apart from a slight lag around Victoria and approaching Clapham and East Croydon but it isn't that bad.

There is a problem with the class 166 on this route, which is nothing to do with the timetable. It causes issues by not moving when it has a green signal, I have noticed this at Redhill.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add that, at least on my PC, despite the super busy timetable, BML is less laggy than DRA. So even more impressive.

23. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

To be honest, not really. I still can't find a full run stopping service in the timetable, and there's extremely limited options for using trains other than Electrostars.

Sure, it's probably all realistic, but I'd love to drive a train with a bigger front screen window over the full length of the route stopping at all stations. But even in scenario designer I find no way to make a train do that...

I mean, it's a lovely busy timetable, but I don't really get to enjoy it in the train and kind of service I'd like to enjoy it with. The game only offers you the option to enjoy it on a service that speeds past most stations or a service that only uses a part of the route, and only in a train with an annoyingly narrow front window. Shame really. Despite the effort put in the timetable, I can't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.

Oh did I mention I'm not a fan of Electrostars? :P

• Like Like x 1
  24. Clumsy Pacer

Probably should wait for the 700 then as it has a large window and stops at most stations, but then again they only go as far as East Croydon.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This isn't how trains work in real life, especially on a corridor such as BML. The "London end" commuter trains generally end either within or just outside of the London travel zones, and then you have various regional stoppers which don't stop within London bar at the major junctions, but do stop further out

The same is true of most mainlines (Thinking stoppers on the WCML terminating at Milton Keynes, Tring etc but not stopping at all until Wembley or Watford)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess the UK does things differently than I'm used to. In my countries, services follow a more Germany-alike pattern, with intercity trains stopping at major stations only, regional trains stopping at the bigger stations, and local S-bahn-alike services stopping at pretty much every station, but all operate on a longer stretch of the railroad. (I think pretty much every German TSW route features full-length all-stops services, which just feels so much more natural to me).

27. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The Class 700 seems to enjoy a good view on the scenery and any passing trains. Sound much more enjoyable than the Electrostars. But then, going 'only as far as East Croydon' isn't very far at all...

It's a shame BML doesn't offer a lot of freight runs, and no Railtour services at all. At least it'd have solved one of the Electrostars shortcomings...

28. Clumsy Pacer

They don't, because you can't take an S-bahn train the full length of the route, for example, on Munich and Koln. There's at least one station on HRR that has no service at all. BML has a similar situation to Munich/Koln, just that they use the same type of train on each.

Have a look at this map (it's a bit out of date, but still): http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/Southern network map Oct 2012.pdf
    Things marked 'Metro' and 'West London' are equivalent to S-Bahn. The lines marked 'Mainline West', 'Mainline East', 'Gatwick Express' and 'Brighton Main Line' would be the equivalent of RegionalExpress, and the line marked 'Redhill' would be a RegionalBahn.

29. Clumsy Pacer

It's about 75% of the route if on a Brighton service.

30. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, I realize it's all pretty realistic so I shouldn't complain about that in the timetable mode. Although it does annoy me that the Scenario Planner seems to suffer from the same limitations.

and I wouldn't loved seeing more freight and railtour services on BML.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful Joe spend so much effort in the timetable, and it was amazing to see his dedication and enthousiasm during the stream, but being stuck with Electrostars does mean I cannot enjoy the route (scenery) and timetable (passing trains) as much as I'd have hoped.

31. ARuscoe

I'm sure that's how it works outside London for the most part too, but in London and the SouthEast where there are a lot of very close together stations it makes more sense to have local, regional and intercity where local means "within London", regional don't stop to London's edge and everything else is outside that

32. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Hopefully freight and railtours are something the team can expand on at somepoint, it really would really be the cherry on top of an incredible timetable

33. OldVern

Probably never going to happen, but I'd like to see a "Joe" timetable for GWE. Full HST service and as many of the local services as can be packed in, together with the many freight moves. With a bit of licence add a GWR liveried 387 and set it during the time period when these were being used to run extra Paddington to Hayes (Bay) services, roughly every half hour. Put it out for £8.99 and I'd buy it.

• Like Like x 9
  34. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Don't praise him too highly or he might get promoted to a position where he can no longer influence timetables.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Lets not forget Railtour services, again...

36. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, I find GWE very stale now I would certainly pay for a timetable layer with the class 387 but I believe the OHEL is purely for show.

I would go further and be happy to pay for a new version of the GWML, preferably extended, with a class 387 going to Reading and maybe with the class 165 and at least the Greenford branch. The stock on the route is not a particularly accurate portrayal of what would have been seen anyway. As far as I know there were only a couple of HST sets, when they were on front line service in GWR green and there aren't enough class 166's to cover the timetable. I have seen the same unit number replicated in quick succession.

• Like Like x 1
  37. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Yes the OHLE is purely for show. The "pans" wont even raise if you try to get them to raise, even in off the rails mode. I tried it with the 314 at the Heathrow Express sidings at Old Oak Common. Matt has said about a year ago that if they were to release GWE again it would have to be a total rebuild as per the amount of changes due to the full electrification of the route it has received since the original was done. So if they are going to do that they might as well do the whole lot from Oxford / Didcot to Paddington like in TS. I would gladly pay for that :)

Hentis

• Like Like x 4
  38. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I have suggested to Joe that he should do a "Joetable" on the GWE and he was like gimme gimme gimme.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
  39. meridian#2659

Well you could setup your run in the scenario planner with the train of your choice.

I like to keep it real.

40. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any start/end destination combination that allowed me to create a full length all-stops service in scenario planner.

Besides, in the spirit of this topic, using Scenario Planner means I still don't get to enjoy all the effort Joe put in the timetable.

If only this game had some kind of Quick Drive mode, or off-the rails for Timetable mode, in combination with a more flexible substitution system...

41. meridian#2659

I really hope they wont suspend scenario planner 2.0 for too long. But to be honest, doesnt look promising at the moment.

I think from brighton you can get a full run, but not from victoria back. Not sure about all stopps.

42. OldVern

Come to think of it, a nice little pack could be done adding 2 and 3 car 165s, the GWR style 387 and the timetable. £16.99, bring it on!

• Like Like x 2
  43. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

That route map gives me an idea for a new DLC - we have London - Brighton and Brighton - Easbourne, how about Brighton - Portsmouth/Southampton?

44. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

How about no

• Like Like x 2
  45. ARuscoe

Because of the limitations of the planner there isn't a way of making an all stops on a line unless there's one in the timetable, and in this case there isn't
    As per your earlier response, I hope that scenario planner 2.0 gives us a lot more flexibility in that we can have any stopping and platform pattern we want, switch patterns allowing, which will mean we can create much better scenarios than simply copies of what's in the timetable already

And before anyone asks, I don't want a similar situation to TSC where if you asked to go from Strood P3 to Rochester P1 for example, it would allow this with varies odd movements in between. A fairly logical "from this platform you can go via this line to a platform or this line to a different platform" would be better

46. ARuscoe

West Coastway has been suggested several times. Look in the suggestions section of the forum

• Like Like x 1
  47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I suspect that's connected to the fact that DRA, if all the layers are active, has to load a lot more train types into memory than BML does. (Also, like all German routes, there are a lot more signals per mile of track)

48. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

To word this better, the 700 operates from (Bedford/Cambridge/Peterborough) London Bridge to Gatwick Airport and to Three Bridges (Horsham) and Brighton. This means from the north of the route, we can take over the AI services at East Croydon and drive them to Gatwick Airport or Brighton.

TL Horsham via Gatwick Airport calling points:
    - East Croydon
    - Coulsdon South
    - Merstham
    - Redhill
    - Earlswood
    - Salfords
    - Horley
    - Gatwick Airport
    - Three Bridges

TL Brighton via Gatwick Airport calling points:
    - East Croydon
    - Gatwick Airport
    - Three Bridges
    - Haywards Heath
    - Wivelsfield
    - Burgess Hill
    - Hassocks
    - Preston Park
    - Brighton

So a 700 would add a significant amount of services to the already busy timetable.

• Like Like x 10
  49. meridian#2659

Actually i hope the 700 will get into tsw. It makes the south part of l2b busier and the 3 stations after redhill are getting services.

• Like Like x 2
  50. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Smooth sailling for me on the Xbox Series X. however do the game save on Journey Mode 1W22 you're stuck at Haywards Heath since 1W20 is supposed to block your path then procced. Do the Save game function twice you get Permanent Red glitch