Question About The Locomotive Filter Screen

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DarkWolf, Feb 15, 2022.

1. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I've seen some screenshots here and elsewhere of people's locomotive filter screen and noticed it looks quite different from my own.

Mine looks like this, like the train is inside a building :

[​IMG]

But other people's seems to look like this :

[​IMG]

I'm curious as to why mine looks different? I notice the UI in the lower screenshot says Rush Hour in the graphics, which mine doesn't. Is this something that changed if you bought the Rush Hour Season Ticket? Or is it a mod of some kind?

DW

2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Mods :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Ahh, thank you. I installed the mod, I think it looks more interesting than that nose on view you get by default.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

And has better performance too ;)

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Matt's comment was that people would "get used to it", and though I don't really care what the option screen looks like I can see the old one is better in many ways

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although I can't be bothered to install a mod for this (I try to keep my game clean), the new loco selection screen still sucks.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Can't see the train in profile, can't see what weather it is, or time of day and it's just too dark. I think they were going for "atmospheric"...

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yes, the "atmospheric" desolated train station really fits in well with the whole "Rush Hour" theme, didn't it? xD

• Like Like x 2
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For consoles, we're stuck to the Depot Setting but in TSW2020 the station can be replaced by the depot and route diorama a city for LIRR. Time to bring that feature back to consoles including the ability to change the Diorama from station to Depot LIRR City

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Simple answer, you have the awful screen DTG introduced under the “we’ll see what the community feed back “ guise. Many got tired of feeding back how awful that dinghy station and ridiculous memory hog that screen was.

That and the horrible orange were the two things that went as soon as I could

12. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

The station shot looks gloomy and depressing.
    Guess I'll not go into work on the railways and just turn my computer off...

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m going to insert a theory here as to why I think they put the train indoors. The weather sliders don’t work as well as they used to and the weather seems to have become more limited in choice, as in it is very difficult to get full cloud cover, light rain or heavy snow because they aren’t modelled like they were. If the train was outdoors the player would see the sliders having less than the full range of settings they used to have.

This is my experience on PS5 when trying to get the weather the same as I used to so can’t test my theory with the mod but it does seem a bit fishy that the weather settings were messed up and then the train screen was changed to indoors so you can’t see what you are setting and see what limited choice you have. Taking away a function to hide a lack of functionality. I could be way off and it was just a bad artistic choice in a moment of collective madness at DTG but I’m not so sure.

Anyway whatever the reason for them doing it the result is much worse than it used to be.

14. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Considering DTG is trying to improve their PR by being more transparent, I'd be surprised if it was an intentional change to hide worsened functionality. I may be too naive, but I'd like to think it's more likely to be a bad, unintended, design fail. (And yes, I think it is a fail because I can't see how the new screen is supposed to be better than the old screen in any way).

15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The entire " refresh " of the various UI screens, including the engine filter screen, seems to have been designed at 4:55pm on a Friday before a 3-day weekend or perhaps in the pub that same night. Never liked it, never will. Wish I could roll it back like a driver update.

" Try it, you'll like it " or " It'll grow on you " was the wrong policy. A 30 day trial followed by user feedback is the right policy.

Was a change really necessary? Don't remember anyone suggesting it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

From one side i usually really give every update or change a fair chance.
    But in this case, how im supposed to choose my livery if i cant see the g.. dmn train?

To the fact they turned a nice solution (before) into a unnessecary complicated procedure of choosing a livery and probably more than 1 testers said "wow thats a really good thing lets release that asap" can only mean one thing:

Friday night: yes
    Pub: no
    Waitress: naked

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’d go so far to say a black screen with a hand drawn version of the train done by someone’s child would yield a better representation of the sides of the train over that dingy station

18. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im ok with the other changes came with the update, also the orange map, which replaced the blue. I just think in tsw2 with its current livery system, the best way to select it is by seeing the train, which is not a practical solution by only seeing the front part (even if it looks cool).

Simple example: i have 2 drs class 66 repaints. Without the mod i have to actually load a game to see which one is the skin i search.