New User Here, Some Questions And Thoughts.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by The_Drunken_Engineer, Feb 10, 2022.

1. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Hello fellow Train Sim World 2 enthusiasts. Just a few questions and comments from someone new to the game on PS4 Pro.

Is there some reason I never know when clicking on a route if it will take me to the set up screen or boot me directly into some scenario I don't want? I get the initial tutorial but 3 load screens to get what I want ain't great.

Absolutely love the game, such detail to accuracy. Especially now tackling the safety systems. How do you guys play this game after going through the scenarios? I wish there was a random day job generator where you'd have a days work you could work through and save, with different random tasks. Also, after an hour of so driving a train, it'd be nice if you were given the option to shut down the train before the end screen.

Is there any way to create a scenario where you bring a passenger train into service then run the route?

I'm starting to get into freight and I get chugging along at 40 kms going up a steep hill but I see one DLC doesn't allow you to go above that the entire route. Any freight DLC that isn't agonizingly slow? Some of my German routes seem to be quite swift, is that the case with TVL or the other freight DLC for England?

I have Dresden routes and never has my PS4 Pro crashed. Perhaps I don't have too much DLC but I have the base game, Tharandter Rampe, Rush hour Dresden, LVG, CN Oakville, MSB, RSN, ECW and HRR. Any other German route worth getting? I think I have the top ones.

Thanks to Joe for the great tutorial videos. A great mix of info and some light hearted humor.

Thanks for letting me yap, Train Bros. Any response will be appreciated. Best wishes to all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Ok, first point. When you first run the route you will be put into the tutorial/introduction to the route.
    Once you have done that, you can select the route and choose timetable, scenarios, journey mode etc. One thing to note is that if you don't want it putting you into the next service or tutorial on journey mode, you can disable auto load journey in the settings menu.

For freight, TVL is ok and you can get above 25mph on the main line outside the yards.
    Northern Transpennine with the heavy freight pack is also a good addition to the game as you can do mail train runs, tanker runs etc along the full length of the line between Leeds and Manchester and you can get up to a decent speed.

I can't really comment on US freight routes except Sherman Hill and yes, it can be slow even though line speeds can be 40+mph and I've barely played SPG.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The_Drunken_Engineer

Okay, I see the option to turn off auto whatever, thank you very much.

Sounds good, I will check those out upon a sale. Although just wasting 40 plus minutes because I went three feet over the stop line and hit a red for yet another time is kinda souring me on the experience. No real payoff and the mostly meaningless points are all wiped. Three feet over the last stop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I can understand your frustration about stop markers being too close to signals. It has been mentioned many times here and on streams and has happened to me a few times too when I've misjudged braking distances or not fully understood brake use.
    I believe that they are looking into this to move the markers further away but i can't be 100% certain that this will apply to all routes.
    Only suggestion I have is to slow down way in advance and crawl up to the marker (although that can be a pain sometimes depending on route and train because the marker won't trigger unless you are right on top of it).

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is a let down of the game. IRL a driver would only really pay attention to the red light and be acting accordingly (ie moving very much slower than they would if it was a green or clear track)
    It's also human nature to start to pay less attention towards the end of a run, so that's a factor

Of course in a perfect world you would be driving to those conditions, but it's very understandable that you're not

• Like Like x 2
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Hello! Happy to know you are enjoying the game :D

There is an option you need to toggle off, called "autoload journeys" or similar. This means you will be in control of what to play.

With each routes comes a set of scenarios and a full 24h timetable.

Personally I mostly focus on the timetable, and generally do not play scenarios as from my experience they tend to be buggier and - with some notable exceptions - they are not all that different from timetable. But that's personal I know a lot of people disagree with me on that.

About your suggestion of a working day generator or shutting the train down, that mostly depends on the route and the services.

A lot of services in TSW are structured like this:
    1. An AI-only service will bring the train from a "portal" to the departure station (representing the train arriving from its real departure station)
    2. A player-drivable service takes the train from departure to destination on the map
    3. An AI-only service bring the train to a portal, representing it going to the real destination
    If it might be confusing think of the ICE services on Köln-Aachen:
    1. AI drives the train coming from the portal into Köln (representing the train arriving from Frankfurt)
    2. You drive it from Köln to Aachen
    3. The AI drives the train to a portal where it disappeaes (representing the train continuing towards Bruxelles)
    This type of operation does not warrant any kind of train shut down, and in theory would not require you setting the train up (but it's done anyway because for gameplay reasons).

There are some routes or services that allow you to shut down the train and depart in the opposite direction if you wait, for example
    • All of the passenger services on ECW
    • Most of the services coming into Dresden
    • The S1 services at Meißen
    • The services going to Hagen on RSN
    • All the TGVs going to Marseille
    • Most of the passenger MSB services
    • The services terminating at Essen on HRR
    Just remember at the end of a trip select: return to freemode.

Talking about a "job generator" I think you might enjoy Journey mode.

Sadly scenario designer is not very good right now and you can't do much more than set up A-B runs.

There are some timetable services where you have to bring the train from depot to station, and at the end if you click return to freemode you will be able to drive the passenger service of that train you brought into the station.

Pretty much all german freight is faster (the services with the BR185), depending on how realistic you want to be and exactly what train you are pulling the max speed is usually between 90 and 120km/h.

On ECW the freight services (using the Class 66) can reach up to 60mph

It seems you have a pretty decent collection already, if you want german DLCs I recommend getting the BR101 loco DLC, and the expansion pack (coming next Thursday) which enhances Köln-aachen quite a bit.

Also you might enjoy Munich-Augsburg (I'm kicking myself for not picking it up when it was on sale last summer).

Rhein Ruhr Osten is not bad, but it's not amazing either, that will also give you access to the amazing DB G6 loco DLC

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

hello friend, I have a 1T ps4, from 2016, I have 47 DLC's, that is, all except the Christmas ring. you can buy what you want. but I advise you to buy the sand patch DLC. It's an incredible locomotive, and even though it's slow (like all cargo locomotives), it's fun and different. but I have them all. peninsula corridor has the M15 maneuvering tractor, which is fast, also the penninsula corridor DLC has the union pacific G38 and a route where you can reach 60 miles per hour. but of course they are tastes, if I went you would buy everything as much as you can, because everything is different, that means you can change and never get bored. lucky friend.

• Like Like x 3
  8. choochooagoo#3632

choochooagoo#3632 New Member

I should/could probably do more searches on this, but since it is brought up again, these are DLC questions I have related to this loco - BR101 - which EVERYONE seems to bring up in threads/videos and universally seem to speak very highly of and almost create a ‘must have’ aura about. Here’s the question (NOT asking if it is worth it as that appears to be overwhelmingly a given - yes)...

The PS store says/suggests the “Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr” is required to make use of this DLC... which I have not purchased as yet. However when I hear the BR101 come up, it is more often than not related to DLC that it was not required for but being used on because it can be if you have it. So, the questions are:
    —What DLC can it work with?
    — What if one buys this ‘vehicle’ DLC (say on sale) but NOT “Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr”, does it still integrate fine with all these other routes?
    — If yes/yes so far, how much use or value does it bring to the table without its main Map DLC? (I do have Rush Hour - Nahverkehr Dresden as my only German map DLC so far) - how many services etc, say?
    — Just how good and what is the passion for this loco over so many of the others? No snark here, but I am simply just curious why it is so great and so many talk about it?

Again there seems to be so much mention of this loco I would purchase it if I saw it come up on sale some day, but wondering if I didn’t have its so-called required DLC what I may be getting into? Naturally console question here as well, so no abilities to hack or mod it in where it wouldn’t belong.

I guess while on this topic, how many other vehicles can or would ‘show up’ to play outside their main DLC they are for? Has anyone created a list to show what works with what and integrates services etc. to other DLCs?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr (HRR), obviously
    Hauptstrecke Hamburg-Lubeck
    Bahnstrecke Riesa-Dresden (or whatever they decided to rename it after they cut the Flughafen branch)
    Koln-Aachen IF you own the Expansion Pack.
    It won't work, sadly you have to get HRR
    It doesn't have a ton of services but it brings a lot of variety, mainly on HRR and Riesa-Dresden, which gives you a realistic option for long distance passenger traffic (the ICE3M is a placeholder for the ICE-T)
    What makes the loco so good are the physics, system simulation, and sounds it's by quite some margin the most realistic long-distance loco for TSW, this is because the guy that created the physics and sounds (TSG) spent much more time than he had to , because he treated this DLC as an "experiment" to see how realistic he can make a loco within his given allocated time to the project, I'm guessing he applied this knowdledge to his own DLC (the G6, BR420 and BR232), and the result really shows the effort put into the product.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. choochooagoo#3632

choochooagoo#3632 New Member

Thanks for the great info.... so it definitely sounds like a buy... BUT it also 100% sounds like HRR will be required to activate it for use anywhere if I understand correctly. This is much like I thought and suspected, especially on console (if that even makes any difference). So may as well watch for HRR sales as well (or first) I guess...

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And on GWE the intermodal trains can run at 75.

• Like Like x 2
  12. The_Drunken_Engineer

Yes, that was my fault but I had just tried a timetable for the Oakville DLC right before and I couldn't get back on the train after I refueled so I was a little frustrated at that point! Lesson learned hopefully. Thank you.

13. The_Drunken_Engineer

Thank you very much for the detailed response to my post. I really appreciate it. You convinced me to buy Tees Valley... the day before it went on sale for 55% off lol that's okay, I absolutely love this DLC. I think the class 37 is my favorite train to drive, sounds amazing and the 101 is fun too, with the shifting and now the Loco dlc and other English freight line is also over half off. So I'll grab it all.

Thanks too for the help on playing it. I get what you're saying and now am using more of the modes and continuing on and why its senseless to shut down etc if that makes sense and it's much better. I just wish there were a bit more variety in the timetables, for the class 37 it seems like 5 trips just stretched out through different times. But hopefully they will beef up the scenario designer soon.

I did get the BR 101. I'm not quite sure why it has the praise it does but I haven't used it much yet. I think the next release I'll get is the steam engine DLC. I'm excited for that one Do you know when it's planned for release?

Thanks again, kind sir. You rock.

14. The_Drunken_Engineer

Nope again, on the TVL, an hour service and another red light 10 feet from the last stop. Tired so lost track for a few seconds. An hour wasted. Why do I waste my time with this intolerant dreck? Already paid in a fresh few hundred. Simulation I like, being whipped I don't. You got my money but even with the Trans pennies lol I have to use some interactive garbage that sucks instead of the format I'm use to in scenarios. I guess some people like sadism. I don't. Yes, after an hour if you screw up all that should be for absolutely nothing. Great call. Let me know how that works out. I'm done. Great marketing format tho. Bought in at ten bucks, then a few hundred bucks later, I get it. Good job.

15. The_Drunken_Engineer

The trans penny line sucks too without the BR pack. Every single timetable an hour for the freight train. Not one variance. Not one.

16. ARuscoe

If a train driver ran a red at the end of their run they would end up in a meeting with their manager (called a "tea and biscuits" in the trade), second time round it would be a disciplinary, after that you'd not be driving trains for the rest of your life.
    So I would say it's pretty true to "simulation" standards

I know it's a pain after driving for an hour, but it IS pretty real

• Like Like x 1
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Thank you, sadly the empty feeling of the routed is inevitable at first, but (on some routes) at least the addition of new trains from other DLCs really makes a difference, sadly I can't help you much with the British Rail DLCs as I'm not very familiar.

And they haven't announced a release date for steam yet, I think the latest news is that is still a few months away but should come before the big summer update.

18. ARuscoe

The 101 gets praise for being an involved drive, one that needs attention and skill to drive effectively (rather than shoving it in drive and waiting for it to speed up, then putting it in brake to slow down...)
    With the manual gear changes, lapped brakes and almost underpowered engines it can be tricky to keep to time, and tricky to stop precisely (and without throwing your passengers against the front wall)

19. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I think they are talking about the German 101 here.

20. ARuscoe

Looks like it, didn't read the first response of the chain and just went off the TVL chat...

21. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Have to agree that a "Signal Passed at Danger" (SPAD) End is a pain. Maybe it should wipe a load of points off your score, rather than kick you right out!

In real life they take you off the foot plate and give you a stern talking to, keep doing it and you are no longer a driver. So maybe something could be built into the Game ( Sorry Simulation :D ) if you SPAD there is a demerit system, just like over track speed removes points.

22. ARuscoe

Unfortunately DTG rejected my suggestion of their being an actual "training mode" (I was thinking similar to that of Gran Turismo) where a demerit and retraining could be implemented...

• Like Like x 1
  23. borg#1850

I like that Idea myself. Whose a "Naughty Boy" then, you must do some retraining :D

24. ARuscoe

I liked the idea, hence suggesting it.
    First thing you do when you get a new route is training, giving you direction on how to start up, drive and shutdown the train, a basic drive on the route (safety systems OFF) and then increasing difficulty with more and more safety systems ON until you can drive almost without the HUD

Then Journey mode becomes "a day in the life"

And timetable mode is all journeys available...

• Like Like x 1
  25. borg#1850

With the option to turn it on and off. But yes i get the idea. Though I do still like the HUD even if i still know a few routes well. It would certainly make it more a Railway Train Driver Simulation (than a Game :D )

26. ARuscoe

Absolutely. Of course anyone who turns it off then comes on here to ask why they cant' move is going to invoke some humour

27. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be so bad if the save part of the game worked properly. That way we could do a save once in a while if we wanted to. Doing it now will often cause more problems than it is worth. I think PC players get an option to load in a last save point if they SPAD

28. ARuscoe

This is true
    If someone saved coming into the very last point of their run then I doubt there would be much of an issue with the game re-establishing the signal state of the game (which is what the issue is with saves), but then if someone is alert enough to do a save before coming into a station then they're alert enough to slow down and not overrun

29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think the complaint is more directed to the stop marker being placed bang on top of the signal, which is pretty absurd.

30. ARuscoe

The OP themselves say they lose concentration.
    Seems to me like it's more a case of people missing their braking points

• Like Like x 2
  31. borg#1850

Bit like not stopping at a Red Traffic light or a Zebra Crossing :( But is a bummer when you waste an hour and loose the lot in one go. Better go scrape the pedestrians off the front of my car now :D:D:D (Joke, people, JOKE)

• Like Like x 1
  32. ARuscoe

Except your car doesn't have a detector or a black box in it that reports back to your boss every time you do something...
    Even the insurance ones don't necessarily give you a tea and biscuits moment

• Like Like x 1
  33. borg#1850

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

34. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

In short, the DB 101 BR is only available for hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr. on other routes you have it available in timetables or in the scenario creator.