Any Suggestions For A '90s Uk Route?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Feb 17, 2022.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm thinking of making another suggestion. I absolutely love the '90s BR twilight days, the paint schemes are just amazing. TVL was already great, but I'd love a faster more main-line route with InterCity's in InterCity Swallow livery (preferably the HST or Class 91), along with plenty of freight services.

So my question is: are there any '90s UK routes that come to mind that you'd like to see in game? And why? I'd love to get a discussion started on this, and perhaps create a specific suggestion out of that one day. Thanks for replying in advance :).

• Like Like x 2
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Euston to Wolverhampton with class 86 and/or 87 and class 90. Class 304 for the Birmingham end and class 321 for the London end and Birmingham via Northampton stoppers. With layered in class 31 and 37 for freight and department services.

However I suspect there is more chance of me becoming the next Archbishop of Canterbury than this becoming a reality.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I made this suggestion a while back:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/crewe-manchester-1990s.37131/
    Which would be a nice commuter route I feel, of a decent length (30 miles plus 10 mile branch to Macclesfield), and a nice mix of traction

I think it would be good to have something to do with either the GEML or WCML, as you have the 'classic' AC EMUs and locos - the 86s and 87s. More broadly, I'd like to see a commuter line out of Manchester with a (reworked) sprinter

• Like Like x 2
  4. jolojonasgames

That would be a nice mix of stock and liveries, with the 86, 87 and 90 providing IC Swallow liveries (aswell as potential BR blue on the first two, and I believe some of these locos had Railfreight liveries aswell), the 304 providing BR blue, the 321 providing NSE and the layered 31 and 37 providing further BR blue and two types of railfrieght liveries. I really like the sound of this, though I expect three locos might be a bit much for release. Still, would be great to see!

• Like Like x 2
  5. jolojonasgames

The GEML or better yet WCML would both definetely also have my preference, though a route with a classic valenta HST in InterCity executive wouldn't be bad either. The GEML and WCML both have overhead electrification, a type of UK traction that I really feel is missing from TSW at the moment, so I would support both of those in any era, though my preference would be the '90s of course :).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

GEML would be my choice, 309s, 312s, 315s and 321s being the principal EMUs with 31s, 37s, 47s, 86's and 90s all being common on freight and 86s running passenger services also. Can also have DMUs like the 101s running branchline services if included. Would make for a fantastically diverse route in my opinion.

Ideally it would be the same as the TS version in terms of distance running all the way to Ipswich and then the Felixstowe branch as well, that way we get everything from the Shenfield Shuttle services, NSE commuters and the Intercity Expresses and of course a variety of freight centred on intermodal services.

Most significantly of all we'd get to see Stratford Depot in it's final decade of operations, which would be an impressive sight (and site) which'll diversify operations even further.

There's a lovely little collection of videos I stumbled upon a week or so ago of the East Anglia railways in the late 80s and early 90s, scenes from which I'd love to recreate in game: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRjJ3alLpN5xdKy4WYdC3IUj-kA57fBNB

• Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

I would love to see the GEML. I like the TS1 version but due to the amount of traffic making realistic scenarios on it is laborious. I never quite understood why they didn't go the extra length to Norwich as I think they had got the hardest bits of modelling out of the way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jolojonasgames

That looks really great! The things shown in those videos are pretty much exactly what I was searching for! Thanks for sharing, I really hope something like it gets made :).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tank621

Yeah, as my home route it's naturally my favourite in TS, but it does always feel a bit dead. It's safe to say the 360 wouldn't have been my first choice either.

As much as I love the route the TS version will be 10 years old next year and I think it's about time for a new iteration of the route. I just hope if they do decide to do it they don't pick the modern day with the route largely limited to 720s, 745s for passenger services and 66s and 90s on freight.

The reason I'm particularly fond of the sectorised period on the GEML is because it has the 315s, 321s, 86s and 90s that I grew up with as well as my favourite BR era diesel locomotives and EMUs, it's just a fantastic mix of traction and colours in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the GEML. Loved the TS version and would love to see it in TSW. Great era too with NSE, Intercity and Railfreight. Would love to see it extended, from the TS version to Southend Victoria and Southminster.

• Like Like x 3
  11. theorganist

I second that, there was so much more variety back in BR days and the earlier days of privatisation, well even up to five yeas ago with all the second generation EMU's and the class 90's on the Norwich services. Just a couple of modern EMU's and a class 66 would make for a far less interesting and varied experience.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tank621

Hopefully if they do it, Matt's nostalgia from growing up on the route might inspire an earlier representation ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. jolojonasgames

We can hope :).

• Like Like x 1
  14. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I very much support WCML with 86s/87s, but recognise the difficulties of identifying a short enough section of the route which really works.

However, a route which seems ideal to me - and much easier to do - is Chester to Bangor (plus the very short branch from Llandudno Junction to Llandudno). It’s about 65 miles, so practical, as in the 90s it didn’t have an excessive amount of infrastructure (it’s basically a double track railway - a few sidings, loops etc, but no massive marshalling yards or anything like that).

Also, most of the stock for it is already in TSW2. In the 90s it was a festival of loco haulage, with 31s, 37s and 47s hauling mk2 a/b/c stock plus HSTs on London trains, 101s on stopping services, and 150s alongside if you pick the right year - all of which we have already in the game. There was freight too, with similar traction.

The route itself has a good variety of scenery - some of it within sight of the coast - and is a really interesting drive. Some genuinely fast running, particularly towards the Chester end, but also plenty of stations and speed restrictions, and enough trains to create some signal checks, giving lots of driving variety.

It would be genuinely possible to release the route with no new stock at all, and it would feel busy and complete. If DTG wished to add stock there are still some options, or perhaps the much-requested Valenta-engined HST could be considered. In an ideal world it would be good to have the extension to Holyhead, but that would perhaps make it a little long, and it’s by no means essential - a lot of trains terminated at Bangor, and crew change there was common even on the Holyhead trains.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Tim RTC

Tim RTC New Member

I think the Settle Carlisle from Leeds to Carlisle would make a great 90s route. You get Pacers, Sprinters and Class 60 freights. The extension along the Aire Valley would make good use of the already good Leeds station model and allow the frequent local timetable services. Plus using existing locos a 1980s timetable with the DMU, 40s and 47s would be easy too to add extra value.

• Like Like x 3
  16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

SEML 1990s with Class 73 CIG 2 EPB.

• Like Like x 2
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Mentioned in the Wales thread, the Margam to Llanwern section of the South Wales Main Line would be superb set in the mid to late 90’s. That or the Yorkshire coal mining area around Knottingley again set in the mid 90s. Class 56 and Class 60 a must for both routes.

• Like Like x 4
  18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

A recreation of the China Clay add on from TSC (or at least something similar) would still be a good shout. Set in the 90s there would be a fair amount of freights (more than today) and the HST and local services could be represented around Par and the mainline

• Like Like x 1
  19. theorganist

That was a nice route, however I always felt it would have been nice if the Newquay branch had been added in full. Especially as in the period it was set, there were still through trains from Paddington on summer Saturdays. If the scenery was nicely executed it would look very good indeed in TSW.

20. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree it would be a nice route, I'd prefer something more substantial than a line populated on 10 additional days a year...
    8 or so end-to-end trains a day doesn't really make for much gameplay...

21. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Moved to suggestions.

22. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Nottingham to Skegness, early 90s so can have first and second generation DMUs as well as some loco hauled services.

• Like Like x 1
  23. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I would personally like to see GWE remade (properly, not just a loco pack with updated versions of locos already in the game) in the Early-Mid 90s. An era of the end of BR and the beginning of GWR. The potential with DLC is high as well. I would personally like Properly Backdated 165s and HSTs in the route as standard. The 90s does seem to be underrepresented in TSW, especially for such an Important Era in rail history for the UK. The only routes in the 90s are Isle of Wight and West Cornwall Local, which happen to only exist thanks to Rivet Games.

24. driverwoods#1787

There are two versions of Class 56 locomotive they are Romanian made or BREL UK manufactured? Which one are you planning to add on? If it's the Romanian version that can open Romanian made diesel locomotives for TSW 2 with Class 56 being the first one. Next up is the DR BR 119 (DB BR 219) U-Boat for Riesa-Dresden and Tharandter Rampe Dresden Chemnitz.

25. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

There's no real need, the Romanian ones were rebuilt to the same standard as the BREL ones pretty quickly, they're also pretty much identical anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Whichever type is still in service and DTG can get access to for research, sounds etc.

But as Clumsy Pacer above has added, they are virtually identical.

27. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Remade, not just repackaged great western express with the valentia HST, class 165, and class 37, but it gets extended further than reading.

28. driverwoods#1787

You mean something like London Paddington to Swindon 76 mi same distance as Sherman Hill also 76-77 mi 122-124 km

29. lcyrrjp

The problem is it’s just another 40 miles of almost level, almost straight railway. No speed restrictions, few stations - a magnificent engineering feat, but boring as hell to drive. The Great Western mainline only starts to get interesting when you get West of Swindon.

• Like Like x 2
  30. driverwoods#1787

So how about 1990s GWML Bristol to Swindon via Box Tunnel. Phase II is London Paddington Swindon 1990s if DTG wants to link the two together and Phase III is 1990s SWML Cardiff to Swindon. those can be sold as a bundle called Western Mainlines 1990s or Twin Capitals England and Wales

31. lcyrrjp

That would certainly be an impressive collection - but given that DTG spread their routes between multiple countries and multiple eras, to get all of those phases in the same era is going to take many years - even if they build nothing else 1990s UK for all that time. In reality, if they’re going to build 3 more UK 1990s routes, I don’t think they’ll go for 3 bits of the same long route. I think they’ll aim for variety.

Collections like the one you describe will only happen if a route editor is made available, meaning the number of people building routes increases massively.

32. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I would quite like the WAML and stansted airport after the 322’s were introduced

• Like Like x 1
  33. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Seeing as we were robbed of the best HST livery by setting Reading-Paddington in the 2010s, I'd like a Class 91 on the East Coast mainline in the end of days 225 livery. As with WCML, the problem would be where - Newcastle north or south seems too long to the next reasonable terminal (90 minutes north, 70 south), ditto York, sticking to the southern end means you will never really get to really open it up to a good speed.

Love the GWE suggestions, it being a route I used to live on, but the 1990s had identical stock to the existing version, just in different colours. Perhaps this is one where we could see the long way round from Reading to London - along via Wokingham and Richmond into Waterloo. Slam door trains and a straightforward mix of stopping services (including potential 165s as far as Wokingham for Gatwick) and diesel hauled freight. Downside is, yet another DC 3rd rail line.

34. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

I’d love the north WCML in the 90s, something like Lancaster - Carlisle. Could include loads of locos like 90s, 87s, 86s, 60s on freight. Not to mention the various sprinter units. :love:

• Like Like x 1